Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • High Street (lakes) – any cheeky bits ?
  • scaredypants

Going to the lakes this w/e & planning to do this (Barnesy kindly directed me to a route map once)

Just to check though, since the weather's looking good and it's a big walking route, I AM "allowed" up there ?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I AM "allowed" up there ?

yes, it's mostly BW 🙂 The downhill over Arthur's Pike is unclassified, not even a footpath, but everyone uses it. The section I use by Cotehow is FP, but the people in the house have watched us ride past without comment. If you take the lane from Side Farm directly to Hartsop, there's a grassy section where the lady asks you to push.

scaredypants

"mostly" – that's good enough for me 😉

thanks, by the way SFB – you gave me some info ages ago & I never got (around) to ride it

elliptic
    Free Member

Starting up from Troutbeck to Thornthwaite Beacon is also entirely legit. I think that's the best route plan, with the option of dropping back down to Hartsop for a shorter day out, though you do have to ride over Kirkstone on tarmac at some point in the day. SFB will be back in a minute to point out that he prefers going straight up from Hartsop 😉

As he said there are various options at the far end – look out for the left turn at the tumbledown ruins on the way up Loadpot Hill, the singletracky traversing path is more fun than flogging up and over (it's also the theoretically legal route).

And +1 for the direct descent from Arthurs Pike over White Knott.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

SFB will be back in a minute to point out that he prefers going straight up from Hartsop

it's just a matter of personal opinion. The Knott feels like an easier climb to me, and the north side of Kirkstone is hellish 🙂

the singletracky traversing path is more fun than flogging up and over (it's also the theoretically legal route).

we always used to go that way till we found the route past the trig point, which gives a better downhill IMO 🙂

With all these things it's better to try them all for yourself!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘High Street (lakes) – any cheeky bits ?’ is closed to new replies.