Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • High Roller II vs. Trail King
  • fudge9202
    Free Member

Tyre dilemma as a front tyre choice for my Sherpa, I ride trail centres and natural singletrack.
    Thanks

mikey74
    Free Member

Are the Trail Kings what used to be known as Rubber Queens? If so, then High Roller IIs all the way. If not, then I can’t comment on them but I really like the High Rollers :mrgreen:

fudge9202
    Free Member

Yes previously rubber queen.

chakaping
    Free Member

Hr2 in 2.3in 3c compound.

crispyrice

The Trail Kings roll easier and are lighter but the sidewalls are made from clingfilm and lack the grip of the the HR2.

You should consider Maxxis DHR2 for front and rear. Roll well, resist punctures and have a fair bit of grip.

duncancallum

I prefer my mountain kings to the HR2s.

I find almost the same grip and half the drag.

bitterlemon
    Free Member

I’ve been running a 2.4 trail king since November, it’s quick and strong but sidewalls are huge so I’ve found the grip vague in the natural stuff.
    A DH HR super tacky is going on the front tomorrow, I’ll just have to man up when needed.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I have 2.4 TK Protection which I sometimes run at the front the sidewalls are tough as nails much stronger than Maxxis EXO.

I would say High Rollers II have better grip when lent over and under braking.
    TK would probably edge it on rollling resistance.

EDIT

Don’t but a 3C maxxis tyre on the rear they and expect it to last not quite as catastrophic as Schwalbe but still very high wear.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I use both on different bikes.

Rubber Queen (2.2 UST BC version)- pretty damn good. It’s a little rounder than the HR2, so doesn’t have a definite edge to it. As such it’s a little drifty, but it’s really predictable with it. Lasts forever – I had 18 months out of my first one and the tread was showing next to no sign of wear. Weaknesses are that it’s truly horrible on wet limestone – every time I tried riding Cavedale on it I crashed (not a usual thing and I don’t on other tyres) – and I managed to bend the casing landing a 3′ drop a little lazily, which put an end to the tyre.

HR2 in contrast (2.3 3C TR) – more of an edge, so feels more positive, but lets go a little more suddenly. Big downside is it wears much faster than the RQ – I get about 6 months out of one before the knobs are tearing off and it gets all squirmy under load. I’d say it also rolls a fraction slower.

RQ is better value, even though a little more expensive. HR2 aguably a little more versatile. If it wasn’t for the Limestone issue, I’d be very happy with an RQ on both bikes.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

HR2 get the 60 compound for the rear and no issues with wear. On the front I use the 50 compound, it’s great tyre for all seasons. For trail centres I’d run the Trail King on the rear. I did use one on the rear off piste during the winter but switched back to HR2, it had better grip in the corners in the wet.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

HR2 lasted the grand total of 152KM, before I noticed every centre ramp had deep cracks around them, and most of the side knobbles too. Full refund from next day tyres.

Quite glad really, as it was a decent descender, but really bad for losing traction on muddy climbs. I’ve opted for a smorg to replace it, not had it out proper;y yet though.

chiefgrooveguru

Just got my first Maxxis Exo tyre, a Minion DHR2 Exo 3C 27.5×2.3 (could they make the name any longer?!) Surprised that the Exo casing is less stiff and tough feeling than the Continental Protection casing. Nicely made tyre though – went up tubeless effortlessly on Flow EX rims. Measures 57.3mm at carcass and side knobs (TK 2.2 measures 59mm at carcass and 55mm at knobs).

The Trail King Protection I’d taken off the back had done about 1000 miles of hard riding and was heavily worn, covered in cuts from flints and rocks, chunks of tread missing and chunks taken out of the casing. Loose threads on the side but only on the lower half of the chequer pattern. Can’t believe it was still holding pressure although it was very very drifty!

Front TK has gone on the back now and DHR2 up front, which felt no slower on the tarmac commute this morning (I ride to work, then ride out to the trails from work).

Considered the HR2 but I like the look of the rounder profile, better supported side knobs and more braking friendly centre knobs and they’ve had a lot of positive reviews.

kimbers

echo whats mostly said above

hr2s are draggier but better grip, especially lent over in the corners like a hero 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘High Roller II vs. Trail King’ is closed to new replies.