Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • High Roller 2 vs. Minon DHR2 as a rear tyre?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi Chaps,

I’m not usually one for a tyre question, however after puncturing my DHR2 and then ruining the bead riding with it punctured…. I’m going to buy a couple of spares.

Has anyone experience of the DHR2 and the HR2? How well do the HR2s cope in the slop and mud – as most of my riding is gonna be on either sloppy, rooty steep stuff, or wet rocks on the Inners DH trails.

I really got on well with the 60/62 DHR2, but did wonder if the HR2 offered the same performance with less drag.

Cheers chaps

Ricks

stevied
    Free Member

Not tried the DHR2 yet but find the HR2 great apart from slow, technical climbs on roots/rocks where it can spin out a bit. Rolls well but that may account for the slight lack of grip when on the power due to the more angled centre blocks. DHR2 looks more aggressive.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

DHR2 is great, it doesn’t break down as quickly as an HR2 either IMO.

Great out front too.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Both very similar tyres really, but the HR2 fairs slightly better when it’s loose in the corners than the DHR2 due to the slightly taller side knobs and more of an open channel between the centre and side knobs. Not much in it. Drag will be very similar

dirtydog
    Free Member

FYI. Acycles where selling 26″ 3c EXO DHRlls for a very reasonable £26.00.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I find the DHRII very good under braking the 3c on the rear breaks down fairly quickly for a maxxis tyre.

chakaping
    Free Member

Didn’t get on with the HR2 Exo 2.4 on the rear myself, way too draggy IMO.

Would like to try the DHR2, but I’ve got a couple of Purgatory Grids on the go and I’m really liking those – seem to handle everything from full-on rocky Lakes riding to muddy slop pretty well.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I’d never run a 2.4 on the back unless it was on a DH bike. Too much tyre. The 2.4 HR2 is a perfect front tyre though.

stevied
    Free Member

Is there a code that works on this? Showing £28.50 for me..still a bargain 🙂

benpinnick

DHR2 is great, it doesn’t break down as quickly as an HR2 either IMO.

Great out front too.

This.

rickon
    Free Member

I’ve had to put a 3c DHR2 2.3 on the rear for now – as it’s the only spare I’ve got. Was looking at Acycles already, £24 for the DHR2 in 29er format 🙂

dirtydog
    Free Member

Is there a code that works on this? Showing £28.50 for me..still a bargain

Not that I know of, they may well have been £28.50, probably memory failure on my part, still a good price though.

stevied
    Free Member

Yep, just ordered one..too good to miss at that price 🙂
    Thanks for the heads-up

chakaping
    Free Member

Sort of wish I hadn’t opened this thread, I’ve now got three tyres on the way to me from Acycles.

Gonna try DHR2 rear and HR2 3c front on my 29er, both in 2.3.

stevied
    Free Member

^that’s only 2 tyres 😉

jam1e
    Free Member

If you want to get REALLY technical about it check out these reviews:

Maxxis High Roller 2

Maxxis Minion DHR2

They give an interesting insight into tyre design and constructiion

chakaping
    Free Member

The third is a Hans dampf super gravity for my 26er. Nobody is interested in that I’m sure.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

I’m running a Minion DHF both ends at the moment, seems to be gripping and rolling very well. Don’t notice any more drag that the HR2 it replaced.

bloodsexmagik
    Free Member

Just got a DHR2 for the back in 2.3 flavour after I destroyed a Vigilante in record quick time – not been out on it yet though.

Hoping it’ll pair well with the Magic Mary up front and have me sorted for most of the year, might change it if we get a dry summer again.

Yetiman
    Free Member

29er 2.3 DHR2 Dual Exo out back and 2.35 Magic Mary Trailstar up front – fantastic combo on similar trails to Inners DH…..lots of fast steep sections with rocks and roots everywhere.

benpinnick

From previously linked review: “The new Minion DHR2 rules so hard, it’s difficult to believe that Maxxis would even reference the original DHR in its name.” This about sums it up. The DHR2 is simply a freaking awesome tyre front or rear.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘High Roller 2 vs. Minon DHR2 as a rear tyre?’ is closed to new replies.