Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • High quality 8mm allen key – recommendations
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend me a good quality 8mm allen key that won’t round off at the slightest sign of pressure. I’ve got a pedal that’s a bit stubborn to remove, it’s not seized on just bloody tight (and yes I know which way to turn it).

Don’t have time to go to a shop so online supplier would be ideal.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

THIS Icetoolz one is good value and should do the job.

Take it you don't have any flats for a 15mm spanner?

If it's well tight use a drift to give the end of the pedal axle a few sharp taps to free off the threads a bit.

Make sure the allen socket is cleaned out so the key gets a solid fit and maybe tap it in a bit with a hammer to seat it well.

If you need more leverage slide a ring spanner or some tubing over the end of the allen key.

If you still think you may round it off – heat the end of the crank arm with a gas flame (a camping stove or mini blowtorch) and the alloy arm should expand quicker than the steel(?) pedal axle making it easier to loosen.

Good luck 😀

BigJohn

Take pedal apart and use mole grips on the spindle.

bigant

Second the Bondhus ones – they are a bit longer so good for pedals/cranks etc. Just wish I knew where the special place in the world my 5mm one went.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

lol ive got same problem m8, 1 of my pedals are stuck to the crankarm, its the right hand pedal, which way do i turn it again?

alexxx
    Free Member

haha, I'm taking so much care over mine after losing keys in the past these babies are not leaving my side 😀

Gary_M
    Free Member

its the right hand pedal, which way do i turn it again?

Clockwise

meehaja
    Free Member

I've got a halfords break caliper removing tool for VW's. Its an 8mm allen key, on a big handle. Never let me down for loosening stubbon pedals!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Second the Bondhus ones –

And thirded. They are just about the best you can get without spending silly money. Even then I doubt you'll better them.

BigJohn

Clockwise

To undo it????

A bike has 2 left hand threads: the left hand pedal and the right hand bottom bracket.

As I stupidly, and publicly, forgot last Thursday.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I use a Snap On set after I got fed up of Park ones wearing out once a year.
    Nicer shape too. Have tried the Ice Toolz which are pretty good for the money, just feel a bit more springy.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Right I've ordered the Bondhus ones, I was reluctant to heat the cranks in case I do them any cosmetic damage. I'll give it a go with a gentle heat though.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

to undo it its towards the back of the bike which is anti-clockwise i just saw a vid

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

thats the right hand side btw

Gary_M
    Free Member

to undo it its towards the back of the bike which is anti-clockwise i just saw a vid

yeh if you're standing on the right hand side of the bike. If you're working from the left of the bike you turn towards the back and it's clockwise. I should have clarified where I was working from.

Easiest way to think about it is to loosen the pedal you turn the allen key the opposite way you pedal.

tron
    Free Member

+1 for the 8mm allen key for brake calipers. They take some serious abuse.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

A bike has 2 left hand threads: the left hand pedal and the right hand bottom bracket.

3 actually. One of the pedal axle nuts should be LH thread. 🙂

neninja
    Free Member

Sounds like you're sorted now but Beta t-bar allen keys are excellent

rootes1

any proper brand of tools, Snap-On, Stahlewille, Facom, Beta, Britool

most 'bike' tools are sh!te quality.

BigJohn

One of the pedal axle nuts should be LH thread.

I've just checked. How can you identify if a circlip is l/h or r/h?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘High quality 8mm allen key – recommendations’ is closed to new replies.