Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • High quality 3D printing?
  • spicer
    Free Member

I need to get some small parts printed over the next few days (Uni project!) for an high quality visual prototype. There are plenty of companies to choose from to print the parts but wondered if anyone had recommendation of somewhere with short lead times? Or if anyone has access to a machine themselves!

Ideally I’d need something that can print in different “compounds” of plastic, as part of it needs to look rubberised. So a connex machine or something similar would be good.

I got a few bits maker’botted up and have realised it’s a bit small! 😳 (luckily before getting the high quality print done!)

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

What size do they need to be?

I’m working on answering your other questions…..

spicer
    Free Member

Not particularly big, approx 120 x 70 x 50 mm.

That looks good!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

OK, When do you need to have this done? You might be best doing it at the Uni…

We’re printing with TPE on a Makerbot [2?], I’m not sure if it’s Ninjaflex, but it’s pretty similar. The surface is pretty slick. I was looking at a nut and bolt made of TPE we’d printed yesterday at the University of Bradford. It’s squidgy, but also functional with a 5-8mm bolt dia.

Makerbot 2’s can print 284 x 155 x 152 mm

The print above was done on a Mojo 3D using ABS with PLA dissolvable scaffolding. I’ve not tried to trim it yet, a bit scared of breaking it, but it’s fully hollow including the tubes/handles. It’s 70mm tall.

So – can you do it at the Uni?

If there’s no 3D prints available of good enough quality – try Protomold

spicer
    Free Member

Many thanks for the advice. We’ve got plenty of kit here at uni but I thought there would be ridiculous lead times (with everyone’s final hand-in approaching). Turns out I can have the parts turned around in a few days on a connex, so it looks like I’m all sorted.

I may be in touch after term though, as I should have a few bits to do over the summer 🙂

spicer
    Free Member

If you are still around gofaster, then I may need some parts printing in a clear/translucent material of you/anyone has the capability of that…

Our only printers that can do that are in a different department and they are being a bit touchy!

Only small parts, total volume is 3 – 4 cubic cm

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘High quality 3D printing?’ is closed to new replies.