Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • High prescription riding glasses
  • aP
    Free Member

I’ve discovered that my current favourite cycling glasses (Rudy Project Maya) have been discontinued after only 4 years. I like the flip-up with photochromic lenses, the low base frame carrier for the inserts and the overall package works for me.
    This leaves me with a problem as I’ve not managed to find many other options. My prescription is -11.5….
    Anyone else with similar high prescription? What do you use?
    One option is something along the lines of the rapha sunglasses with 1.74 index plastic lenses with transitions coating (as I am led to believe that transitions photochromic is a coating on the lens not integral to the optical material). Obviously other manufacturers of frames are available – I shall ask my optician about something like the Mykita Mylon Piro frames….

UK-FLATLANDER

I have a similar prescription, and use both Rudy Project Exception and Rydon. The Exception flips and hold the insert better, but the fit of the Rydon is generally better for me.

therag
    Free Member

I’ve recently had some bolle safety glasses glazed with a plastic prescription lense made, the curve in them makes the trail out of proportion. No good to ride in at all. Back to riding blind.

leythervegas
    Free Member

Contact lenses?

aP
    Free Member

Thanks, I had some Exception 10 years ago, and they were fine – did a lot of riding in them – then the Maya came along. Better venting, lighter, not quite so “special” without the clip for when not on the bike 😉
    Contacts are out – I can’t deal with anything near my eye, spending a couple of days in Moorfields year before last, then having an operation for a detached retina was traumatic enough with 2 nurses holding me down…. I had no problems getting a seat on the bus from Old Street or ft he train out of Waterloo as I had good blood tears running down my left cheek.
    I’ve had Rupp+Hubrach lenses in the glasses before the Exception – apparently the highest prescription, high base lenses they’d made at that point. They weren’t a huge success TBH, so I don’t really want to go there again.
    If POC made a clip prescription frame then that might work, although they are a bit too fashionable for me.

thelinkedinman
    Free Member

Checkout Rx (cannot recall if it’s Rx or rxsport but a quick Google will tell you) as if you create an account online you can type in your prescription and it shows you what works. Quite good prices too.

James

iainc

-7.5 and astigmatism here and never found decent vision in riding specific glasses. Wear my varifocal Oakley’s on the bike !!

globalti
    Free Member

If you’re lucky enough to live close, go and see Junaid at Ideal Eye Care near Blackburn. He’s an excellent optician and has made us some superb cycling glasses in photochromic and varifocal. I’ve never known any optician take so much time to get the measurements right. He also has a rather rare and expensive MRI scanner for your retina, which offers early diagnosis for eye problems.

njee20
    Free Member

I can’t specifically help on the prescription, but you’re right about the photochromic-ness being a coating – it eventually scratched off on my Oakleys. But should mean it could be applied!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘High prescription riding glasses’ is closed to new replies.