Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • High functioning depression or dysthymia
  • shermer75
    Free Member

Very enlightening and nicely written article outlining the tell tale signs of a condition that, judging by some of the threads in this forum, more than a few of us can relate to.

It’s more of a ‘how to spot’ rather than ‘what to do about’ kind of a thing but for me admitting that there was a problem and taking that first step towards seeking help was by far the hardest- and most rewarding- part. Everything else fell relatively (!) simply into place after that. So if this helps one other person then it’s a post worth posting! 🙂

thecaptain
    Free Member

Life? Don’t talk to me about life.

kayak23

Nice read thanks.
    Can identify with an awful lot of that.

grahamt1980

Yep a fair bit of that seems familiar. Especially the over reliance on coping strategies.

mooman
    Free Member

… or chronic mild depression as it’s better known.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Have been thinking giving my “lady” a call….. Actually while typing this post, I’ve realised Ive not been thinking about it…. I’ve been putting it off

No longer …. will give her a call today .

(Number 11 struck a particular chord this time … but others are recognizable)

Kryton57

Crikey. 1 to 11 here.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member
    Crikey. 1 to 11 here.

Me too. Gulp.

nickjb
    Free Member

Don’t a significant number of them apply to most people? Thinking your boss is an idiot is a stand out. It is pretty general a few of them are contradictory. I’m not say this isn’t a thing and if you need help you absolutely should get help just that article is pretty vague.

shermer75
    Free Member

… or chronic mild depression as it’s better known

‘Mild’ makes it sound so relaxing! Wouldn’t be a word I’d choose to use lol

codybrennan
    Free Member

About the only thing that didn’t apply to me in that article was that I don’t think my boss is an idiot. I think I need help, I’ve been working with this alone for too long now.

mikey74
    Free Member

1-10 for me. I’m the opposite to 11: I can’t bring myself to do chores.

shermer75
    Free Member

Don’t a significant number of them apply to most people? Thinking your boss is an idiot is a stand out. It is pretty general a few of them are contradictory. I’m not say this isn’t a thing and if you need help you absolutely should get help just that article is pretty vague.

If you’ve read it and are feeling generally nonplussed about the whole thing then yeah, prob not for you.

However if you’re reading it and feel the hairs go up on the back of your neck as an icy cold hand of realisation grips your heart then yep, it applies to you, time to stop kidding yourself and get help! 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

Crikey. 1 to 11 here.

About the only thing that didn’t apply to me in that article was that I don’t think my boss is an idiot. I think I need help, I’ve been working with this alone for too long now.

My first step was talking to my GP, which in the end was a lot easier than I thought it would be. The hardest parts (by far!!!) were making the appointment and turning up.

Kryton57

Don’t a significant number of them apply to most people?

Possibly. I’m on hols typing this and am almost filled with dread about going back to work this week. If folk on here are to be believed that’s a majority thought – it would seem people who.love there jobs are a minority.

So is it me, or a generalisation
    ?

thecaptain
    Free Member

So I was a bit flippant at first and thought it was just talking about the human condition but no, my life is nothing like as described, apart from occasionally having an idiot boss and sometimes being a bit uninspired by work. But that actually is about my boss and my work, not me!

gnusmas

Good read, thanks. Interesting insight and definitely relate to all of it.

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

Not really surprising its relateable to pretty much everyone as it seems to describe ‘normal’ western existence.

Everyone needs to have some sort of condition these days…

Kryton57

Not really surprising its relateable to pretty much everyone as it seems to describe ‘normal’ western existence.

It’s what life has become. Always in your face, comparison and material led, constant working no end in sight…

Time for some mediation methinks

vickypea
    Free Member

Hmm, I’m not so sure that dysthymia = “high functioning depression”. The key feature of dysthymia is that it persists for at least 2 years but doesn’t meet all the criteria for clinical depression.
    I’m not convinced that all these different categories and terms are helpful. Perhaps it’s perceived as more socially acceptable to have depression that some people refer to as “high functioning”? I have recurrent but not persistent depression, I can get really severe symptoms but I still get out of bed, take care of myself and hold down a challenging job. I tend to suddenly drop into a black hole and then climb out of it a few months later. You could say I was “high functioning” but I don’t have dysthymia.
    I think all this goes to show that we all have different symptoms and experiences.

soobalias
    Free Member

so this morning I woke up ex-depressed, now aware and coping.
    this afternoon, im “high functioning depressed”

not sure im in a better place,
    not brave enough to share that link with those who suffer/tolerate me.

vickypea
    Free Member

not brave enough to share that link with those who suffer/tolerate me.

I get told off for suggesting that people suffer or tolerate me, so I’m going to suggest that it’s much more likely that people care about you (not tolerate)

aracer
    Free Member

+1 – the impression I get from 11 is that it’s an avoidance thing – people keep themselves busy to avoid thinking. For me doing chores just results in me thinking, hence I have other ways to “keep myself busy”, like posting on here.

I sometimes wish I wasn’t so high functioning – it’s hard work putting on the act all the time. But not only that, I wonder if it would be easier if people knew without me having to tell them. I had wondered how obvious it was and whether people knew anyway, but I suspect the answer is that the only person who knows in RL is the one person I’ve told – given his reaction of genuine surprise when I told him. The thing is, as I said to him, I’m mostly symptom free even inside when I’m with people I consider to be friends, which makes it even harder mentioning it! Given I’ve not found drugs help and counselling at best has just helped me to cope better, I wonder if there’s a clue there – I wish I could bottle that feeling.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘High functioning depression or dysthymia’ is closed to new replies.