Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • High end (expensive) 11spd cassettes
  • unsponsored
    Free Member

Has anyone been running any of the high end cassettes? Looking for real life experiences with the newest 11spd offerings including the hope cassette.

I’ve got an e-thirteen 9-44 – paid £189 from UBYK

Shifting is fine with an X1 rear mech. Shifting maybe not quite as crisp as the SRAM X1/GX? cassette it replaced, but nothing to cause concern.

The high and low gears provide a noticeable difference to my riding mates – I’m on a 32t front. This is my first foray into 1×11 – just about coping with the low end gears and slightly missing the highest gears after coming from 3×9.

Can’t comment on longevity, as it’s only around 50 miles in, but it’s a thumbs up so far!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A mate got 2 solid years from xx1, bike was ridden probably twice a week with some long trips in there.

bensales
    Free Member

I’ve got a SRAM XX1 10-42t on my bike. No idea of longevity as the bike is only a couple of months old.

I’ve had a lot of cassettes over the years, and to be honest, other than weight and ratios, I’d struggle to tell them apart. But then, I buy cassettes based on their weight and ratios…

It’s a lovely piece of cnc machining though.

zelak999
    Free Member

I’ve got the Hope 10-44.
    It’s been a nightmare to set up tbh.
    I’m using an xtr rear mech and a seam chain.
    You have to get the chain tension ‘just right’.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

689 miles on the x01 on my nomad including a fair bit of riding in slop. Still no real wear on it but i do use scotoiler..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s been a nightmare to set up tbh.
    I’m using an xtr rear mech and a seam chain.

Was wondering what it was specced for so looked it up, shimano only quote/claim/suggest 11t minimum and 42t max? is 10-44 not just too much for the mech?

jamesoz

Are high end cassettes harder?
    My xtm8000 isn’t looking likely to last one chain. The smaller sprockets need dressing regularly to remove burs and I bent a tooth on the 17t with a mis shift, was very surprised how easy it was to straighten.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Are high end cassettes harder?

Not these ones, when has aluminium ever been a good idea on a cassette – the xx1 gets away with one cog and it does wear quick

4 cogs seems ludicrous the absolute black 4 Ali conversion for 10 speed was crap, recon cassettes were crap

SirHC

2000miles on an X01 cassette, its on its second chain now (first one replaced at 1000miles). Can’t replace the chain as it skips, so going to run it into the ground.

njee20
    Free Member

About 2000 miles on XX1, on its 4th chain I think (possibly 3rd), but still shifting perfectly.

mactheknife

Just had a look at the hope 10-44 cassette and noticed that the top 4 cogs are aluminium which i presumed meant you could just replace the top 4 cog assembly. BUT i cant find that anywhere, just the full cassette. For now they will not be getting my cash. Aluminium in the cogs i use the most wont last a few months.

My XX1 cassette is lasting really well. On the second chain. Not sure about mileage but i am happy so far 🙂

zelak999
    Free Member

@mikewsmith
    I have spoken to hope a couple of times, one of their tech guys uses the cassette with shimano.
    He said chain tension is key.
    Ive got it shifting well, it just takes a bit of extra trigger pressure on the 2nd and 3rd smallest gears.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Just fitted my third chain to my XX1 cassette last week and the shifting’s still perfect.
    Done about 2500 miles or so on it.
    I’m guessing that by the time this chain is done for I might need a new cassette so probably next summer it’ll get replaced, then again if it’ll still shift ok with a new chain I might stick with it a bit longer!

j3ffo
    Free Member

As above

Got over 2000 miles on XX1 cassette… on to it’s 3rd chain. Thought I may have to replace this time but still running sweet. Paid £185 for the cassette 18 months ago from a German website

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m sure shimano mechs can cope with more. They’re about to release an 11-46 cassette but no new mech to go with it.

deanfbm
    Free Member

wear too quickly for me, well on my bike i properly use. approximately 2,500 miles before the cassette wouldnt take the 4th chain and noticeably poor shifting. thats about 10 months riding for me. well actually it was only cogs 7/8/9, alu cog was still ok, but this was only used as a last resort.

for me, where i ride, how i ride, 11-36 is more than enough for me, so reverted back to 10 speed on the most used bike. £30 xt cassette, ok weight, job done.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Almost exactly 2 years in on a XO1 cassette, ridden all year round in the Peaks. Been through a few chains, and I had to replace the ally 42 sprocket with a Wolftooth one this winter. Other than that, its worked fine.

mactheknife

JonEdwards, now that you can replace the 42 sprocket i think X01/XX1 is the best answer. Did you have any dramas changing it over??

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘High end (expensive) 11spd cassettes’ is closed to new replies.