Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • High end DH bikes… If you had a big wedge burning a hole in your pocket?
  • mboy
    Free Member

A friend is looking at dropping some serious wedge on a new DH bike. He used to race many years ago, picked up the V10 2nd hand earlier this year (it’s about a 2010 model or so), and has decided he’s knocking the motorbikes on the head and planning on racing some of the BDS DH series next year. Anyway…

I’ve been out of the DH game for a LONG time… Last DH bike I owned was a Gracia Rep Cannondale Gemini DH! He’s definitely after something interesting (so you can rule out mainstream brands like Trek, Spesh, Giant etc.). So far I’ve come up with a few suggestions for him, based upon the fact he’s a smaller guy and has found his old V10 a bit of a handful, but also he’s got a taste for the finer things too… I’ve always been a big Intense fan, so have suggested he look at the new M16 or even the outgoing 951, but then there’s the Mondraker Summum Carbon Pro too. Have briefly perused the likes of Pivot (looks a bit industrial and overbuilt), and a couple of others, but given he’s a smaller guy and it’s going to be a race bike, lightweight and fast are the key requirements.

So those of you still in the DH game, fire away… 8)

sideshowdave
    Free Member
    raisinhat
    Free Member

Gotta be the YT Tues. Carbon, super bling spec, extremely well reviewed, and even comes in at a reasonable price.

I know you said nothing mainstream, but have a look at Dirt’s 2015 best downhill bikes.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Canfield Jedi

Zerode G2

Antidote Lifeline

In real life, I’d probably plump for a YT Tues Carbon and use the money saved to spend a season in the Alps…

*Edit, bearing in mind his having trouble with the V10, defo click the link and have a read as they sound pretty chuckable…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So much out there but…

based upon the fact he’s a smaller guy and has found his old V10 a bit of a handful,

If he’s not “average” in terms of height/reach etc. then probably something he can throw a leg over

Seen the intense list for this year and it makes anything else look very cheap!!!

I think Pearce cycles do some demo’s.

mboy
    Free Member

Gotta be the YT Tues. Carbon

When I said serious wedge… Should probably have emphasised this somewhat! He’s after something a fair bit more exclusive than a Tues…

I know you said nothing mainstream, but have a look at Dirt’s 2015 best downhill bikes.

Already had a look earlier, the Intense and Mondraker stand out immediately. But I know both have been updated for 2016 (well, new M16 frame in the case of the Intense).

helpful1
    Free Member

Common as they are, he’d be stupid not to buy a V10c over the intense.

They’re not such a handful anymore.

colp

Why rule out a mainstream brand just because he wants to be special?
    Trek 9.9 will do him just fine. Light, fast , neutral handling. He can rub it with pritt stick and sprinkle sparkles on it.

tomhoward

Devinci WLSN?

That said, I’d love a Zerode, but lack of space and talent, mean it’s just a dream.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Propain in the membrain

oldtalent
    Free Member

Canfield Jedi would be top of my list. Of course he will be spending twice what he needs to, but if you want exclusive.

Gotama
    Free Member

On looks alone the new Rocky Mountain Maiden appears to be pretty special.

edward2000
    Free Member

Evil Undead

SirHC

Dirt have been reviewing a few lately:
    http://dirtmountainbike.com/bike-reviews/mondraker-summum-carbon-pro-team-review.html#wSjRwquiwK7QYjjJ.97
    http://dirtmountainbike.com/longform/arrivals-intense-m16-carbon#PHsGGfOQQe05GRMB.97
    http://dirtmountainbike.com/bike-reviews/specialized-s-works-demo-review.html#Ge41Ju4Xvuu21XvZ.97

I certainly wouldn’t be ignoring the mainstream brands, as they make very very good bikes (Demo, Glory, Session 9.9) and can guarantee that they will be quick.

rhid

I saw Tahnee Seagrave riding her DeVinci WLSN on the weekend at Revolution bike park. I would buy one of those in a second if I had the cash. The new intense does look good too.

However if it was a full on race bike for competitive racing I don’t think you could go far wrong with a Carbon Demo or V10. They may be mainstream but they look amazing and are plenty fast!

jmatlock
    Free Member

Why would anyone look past a V10cc or a Demo 8

Actually wanting a worse functioning bike for the sake of being exclusive!

So many people on here are like that, it’s baffling.

BoardinBob

There’s definitely more niche out there but it’s hard to see past the V10. The Santa Cruz WC mechanics and other associated bods were in Morzine when I was there this year and seeing all their bikes dripping with Enve wheels and tons of prototype stuff made my bottom of the range Canyon DH bike look positively pauper like.

There was also a random girl cutting about the trails on the absolute top of the line Demo. Ohlins shock etc and it was absolutely stunning.

I’d take either in a heartbeat

dans160
    Free Member

Intense M9 was great, session 9.9 was wonderful, demo 8 corners very well. I miss the trek.

He should really try and ride them before buying. At the moment the yts have a further 600euro off of the price. Only a crazy person would ignore that.

keefmac

how about an empire ap1, would fit the bill exclusivity wise.

clicky linky

ferrals
    Free Member

If he’s minted and wants something special, why not buy a mainstream bike and then take to a high end paint-shop and get some personal airbrush design on it? Better ride bloody well though!

jmatlock
    Free Member

Bloke wants something to pose on. This thread has got legs I reckon.

scruff
    Free Member

Id be looking at the new Rocky, not sure how good the carbon is though.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yeah I was all about exclusivity once, I spent £5k on a Cove Shocker dropping with bling when everyone else was spending half that on the Trek Session 88 which was the ‘obvious choice’ at the time.

Cove was ‘cool’ and other riders used to ask me about it a lot, but the Trek was a much better bike.

chakaping
    Free Member

he’s got a taste for the finer things too…

😆

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Session 9.9. To hell with exclusivity.

jmatlock
    Free Member

I would be looking at what bikes podium and what all the privateers are running.

Demo / V10cc

Then I would maybe have some high end DVO/BOS/Ohlins suspension of I absolutely had to be different.

v666ern
    Free Member

He can rub it with pritt stick and sprinkle sparkles on it.

TheFlyingOx

Antidote Lifeline

Or Canfield Jedi

Antidote probably edges it for pose factor.

scruff
    Free Member

Anything with an idler pulley is off my list.

Does he want it to last and get spares for more than one race season?

jacksprogis
    Free Member

I wouldn’t go for a tues. Me and my mate have both broke the 2015 carbon ones.

scruff
    Free Member

Nicolai ION 20 or new Banshee Legend for a metal one.

ahwiles
    Free Member

so, he’s got ‘a wedge’ to spend, but doesn’t really know what he wants…

i’d suggest a specialized status and a month in Whistler.

mboy
    Free Member

This thread has got legs I reckon.

You should see the motorbikes he’s selling to fund this bike! 😆

Anyway…

Great suggestions so far. Cheers. Will send him a list later.

What’s the general consensus on the Mondraker Summum Carbon? From what I’ve read, in contrast to their trail bikes they come up a little short in the TT. He’s had a quick go on a friends and he quite liked it, and it fits the lightweight race bike bill quite nicely…

v666ern
    Free Member

Surely just buy whatever Gwinn’s on now?

alpineharry
    Free Member

Don’t let him get a 951, there were a lot of snapping/ cracking issues. I believe with the warranty they gave people m9’s as replacements..

Having owned one, I’d say get a polygon, hard to find in the UK but very good bikes! The new ones look exceptionally smart, or get a mondraker as everyone else is suggesting

drovercycles
    Free Member

This, with loads left over for uplifts or whatever?

We've just been given the heads-up about a bargain DH bike – the full team Saracen Myst as ridden to World Cup and World…

Posted by Drover Cycles on Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Or if you want something niche, Transition TR500. If you want carbon (the Saracen has a carbon rear but alloy front) then the Mondraker is a good shout and looks stunning too.

colp

That Antidote is georgeous!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

That Anidote Carbon looks badass; reminds me a bit of an Avent Vandal though.

Get a Zerode though; awesome.

oldejeans
    Free Member

hairyscary

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘High end DH bikes… If you had a big wedge burning a hole in your pocket?’ is closed to new replies.