Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 'High Efficiency' USB mains chargers
  • superleggero
    Free Member

Having recently heard all sorts of horror stories about dodgy third party mains chargers that catch fire and/or explode I’m seeking recommendations from the STW collective on a USB mains charger that is safe and reliable. I would like to be able use overnight and wake up in the morning.

It’s to charge a Lezyne Power Drive XL light and should output 2 Amps – what Lezyne calls ‘High Efficiency’ charging which charges faster. Should also have a reasonable length cord (about 3ft/1mtr if possible) with a micro USB at the end. I’m looking for something simple so don’t need multiple device charging capability. Would be helpful if recommendations could include links.

allthegear
    Free Member

Apple charger? Especially ones for the iPad as they are capable of the higher current output.

Rachel

andytherocketeer

Just about any smartphone/tablet charger will be 2A.

I picked up a few that are mains-USB socket, then USB lead of your choice. Cost maybe a fiver each. Got a 12V car one too, that’s also 2A.

molgrips
    Free Member

Maplin sell generic ones. I have one that has two sockets, 1A and 2.1A.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Apple charger? Especially ones for the iPad as they are capable of the higher current output.

Rachel

I thought iPad chargers went at low amps hence why mine can’t charge my phone to save itself..

hoodoo
    Free Member

This should do it

Raspberry Pi Power Supplies

Have you managed to get the charging LED to blink blue when connected up to a high capacity USB PSU?

I built my own using a bench top power supply and experimented with shorting the D+ & D- lines together and by using a 50 Ohm resister which should indicate to the chargeable device (the light) that there is a high capacity PSU available. No luck. It stayed on about 0.93A instead of switching to almost 2A.

I wonder if they have a custom method of signalling the presence of a high capacity PSU.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Squirrellking. Ipad changer charges my phone double quick.

My phone charger struggles with the ipad.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘'High Efficiency' USB mains chargers’ is closed to new replies.