• This topic has 29 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by atlaz.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • High cols in the alps… when are they passable?
  • atlaz
    Free Member

I’m looking to ride down to the south of France before the weather gets too hot but need to go over the Bonette and a couple of other cols (telegraphe and galibier notably). Any idea when, roughly, they’re passable again after winter? No urge to get there then have to cycle back to Geneva (I’d be on a tight-ish schedule).

nedrapier

nedrapier

http://bike-oisans.com/en/cycling-oisans/oisans-mountain-passes

Top google hit for “when does galibier open”

Have fun!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    richardthird

Last week in June *should* be alright.

atlaz
    Free Member

June it is then.

NewRetroTom

They normally aim to have the cols open for the first of June, but that doesn’t always happen. Nice vid of snow clearing on the Galibier on this page: http://www.hautes-alpes.fr/3770-la-viabilite-hivernale.htm

Dickyboy

Shudders at the memory of hauling bikes across a snow covered pass – 4hrs to do 4 miles on June the bloody 15th…

DiscJockey
    Free Member

It’s never too hot above 2000 mtrs, so what are you worrying about !

DiscJockey
    Free Member

On a more serious note, RE: Galibier, if you’re checking road closure updates, make sure you’re checking the tunnel option, as the ‘proper’ col is often closed for months while the tunnel gets cleared – and some road reports might only refer to that top section.

Also, perhaps consider a different route that only takes in cols that lead up near ski stations as those roads are usually kept reasonably clear.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

As everyone says, June is usually ok but was snowed until July the other year.

We got caught in snow in early September this year on the Cormet de Roseland and nearly died on the decent into Bourg St Maurice. The Col d’Iseran was fully closed the morning after and we had to reroute down the other side of the valley via the Madelaine to get to Valoire. 2 year previous we had sunstroke on the same stretch of road!

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Telegraphie will be open all year except during the severest weather.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Telegraphie will be open all year except during the severest weather

And what’s he supposed to do after going over the top down into Valloire ? 😉

wilburt
    Free Member

I prefer to take my chances with early June, in fact I’m going in May next year. Later is usually too warm for me but I do run a bit hot.

atlaz
    Free Member

And what’s he supposed to do after going over the top down into Valloire ?

Yes, that’s the million euro question; closed cols means either a detour or just buggering off home. Given I don’t really have any goal other than “riding lots” I will play it by ear and ride to Berlin or something if the high mountains are looking likely to be closed.

jameso

Late May is a gamble, I’ve been turned back from the Galibier then, took another lower col to get to Susa valley and went over the Montgenevre instead. Longer way to Briancon. Bonette had a lot of snow then also but the col was clear, the cime itself was still under snow.
    Mid June is a better bet but it’s so good to ride between walls of snow early season, worth the gamble if you have some flexibility in the schedule or route.

wilburt
    Free Member

Agree it is a gamble. I’m actually further south to begin with so it should be ok and have ridden Galibier etc a few times so wont be too disapointed if plans have to change.

Worst happens, I’ll put my feet up and drink wine, read a book 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

err depends on the weather over the winter 😉

Ventoux has been closed in April – my last visit there we could’t drive to the top although roadies where riding up

As above late June should be ok

Bez

Yes, that’s the million euro question; closed cols means either a detour or just buggering off home. Given I don’t really have any goal other than “riding lots” I will play it by ear and ride to Berlin or something if the high mountains are looking likely to be closed.

The only time I planned to go over the Galibier it was looking closed and instead of going up the Maurienne valley I went via Grenoble and over the Lauteret on the south side of the Galibier.

Not the world’s nicest road, but it gets you to the same place.

But then, to be honest, I think unless you’re really itching to chalk up a few selfies against >2000m signposts there’s arguably better riding to be had away from the high cols. The Vercors has some great stuff and if you go west of the Rhône there are some stunning places to ride in the Ardèche, the Cévennes and then south or west from there. Still plenty of testing climbing if you want it, but more varied scenery and less traffic.

atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve ridden the Vercors and enjoyed it but the main idea here is a ride down to the coast for a bit of sun and a bite to eat. Going down that way would dump me out in Marseille and I’m not a huge fan of that city plus I want somewhere a bit quieter to wander around in a week-old tshirt, shorts and flipflops. If I come down from Galibier/Bonette I can roll into Nice and then down to Ventimiglia, stuff my face and then get the TGV home.

Bez

Fair enough, that’s a sound plan. Now you’ve got me idly and pointlessly looking at a route via Col du Mont Cenis (which is quite nice as I recall), Pinerolo, Saluzzo, Col d’Agnel… 😉

(Interstingly, RideWithGPS seems to be a bit crippled by the fact that Google Maps currently doesn’t appear to let you plot a route over any closed cols…)

atlaz
    Free Member

RideWithGPS seems to have an issue with some border crossings. France into Monaco and Italy is only doable if you route by car or walking, not by bike.

Mont Cenis eh? Got me wondering whether going that way into Italy then down might not be a bit different.

Edit – no. really isn’t a useful route. Adds 100km and 2000m climbing which, in reality, means another day I’d guess.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Col du Mont Cenis

Nothing that spectacular on the climb up from the French side.
    I do remember nearing the top and turning into the most brutal headwind ever. You know its bad when you are being drafted by a runner……
    Cafe at the top offers a menu which seems to be sponsored by the cheese industry.
    Descent down to Susa is epic. Drops 5000ft – Strava has me at 30mph for 30mins 🙂

Marin
    Free Member

Used my bike as an ice axe to cross from Italy into France in July two years ago. Lots of hikers turning back saying you couldn’t do it. How happy you are on snow slopes may swing it a bit.

Marin
    Free Member

Sorry if you’re on a road bike I have no idea. Have a fun trip.

Bez

The cafe up the top is great. Newspapers in a box outside the door and everything. At least, I assume it’s unchanged: it’s 20 years (fuuuuu…!) since I sat in it with my face in a big bowl of chocolat chaud trying to thaw out before riding back down 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

I prefer to take my chances with early June, in fact I’m going in May next year. Later is usually too warm for me but I do run a bit hot.

The temperature swing is going to be an issue whenever you go. Coming down AdH was absolutely freezing in the early morning, and when I rode over Galibier, there was still plenty of snow at the top (though the road was open) but it was 40 degrees on the valley floor!

atlaz
    Free Member

Roughly speaking, I’ve got a straight run down to Geneva, then a day from there to Valloire, a day from there to just off the back of Bonette (St Etienne) and then the next day down to the coast. Hardest day is Valloire to Bonette of course.

Unless I sack the big stuff off and go down to the riviera via Switzerland

jameso

Mont Cenis, that’s the one I used to get to Susa valley. Nice route, valley’s a bit busy there but they often are.

atlaz
    Free Member

Well my alternate route is via Gotthard in Switzerland. I’ve driven over it before and its really stuck in my mind as a place I’d like to ride.

atlaz
    Free Member

Changed the route a bit but riding 4 days from Lyon to Italy which cuts out a few hundred km of flat riding. No easy days but nothing stupid. Telegraphe, Galibier, Var, Bonette and then depending how fast I get to the coast, I may do the Madone and a pass up into Italy rather than the coast road through Monaco.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘High cols in the alps… when are they passable?’ is closed to new replies.