• This topic has 48 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • High Cholesterol…
  • mrchrispy

BMI 25, blood pressure normal but my cholesterol is 7.11 mmols 😮

only one of those quick tests so don’t know the ratio of good vs bad but I think I need a visit to the doctor, that is unless I die before the day is out!

cyclomonkey
    Free Member

better than low cholesterol which is linked to depression, suicide and homicide….. in fact the Health Survey for england showed those with cholesterol below 5mmol/L had significantly higher levels of heart disease than those with levals above 5.

id be far more concerned with trgyceride or hba1c levels.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Meaningless without your hdl:ldl ratio.

It’ll also depend on what you ate before.

mrchrispy

So when I ring the guardian of the GP do I ask to book in for a fasting cholesterol check?

Knowing my doctors they probably book me in for a finger up the bum (so wouldn’t be a total loss then)

nickc

Do your research on cholesterol before going to the GP. You’ll be unsurprised to hear that not all GPs believe in the good/bad cholesterol theory.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Also be cautious of institutionalised dogma in GPs.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m afraid you’ll need to call the GP for an appointment and they’re order the fasting test.

Mine’s higher than that, they diagnosed Familial Hypercholesterolemia which can cause high levels in an otherwise healthy person. I’ve got to take statins for it.

jobro
    Free Member

You don’t need a fasting sample to measure Cholesterol. Currently we do ask it for full lipid profile but that’s the Triglyceride, and we are stopping that as per NICE guidance 7/2014.

I’m concerned you say “quick test”. Is that one of those point of care tests in Boots or similar? If so I’d get it checked properly. Some appalling governance and quality control issues with PoCT

And yes, as nickc says above. There is now some considerable debate about the link between high cholesterol levels and cardiac disease. Surprising amount of research funded by the companies that make statins!!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

You’ll be unsurprised to hear that not all GPs believe in the good/bad cholesterol theory.

read “the great cholestrol con”

mrchrispy

by quick test I mean it was a free one at work using a little unit, took a couple of mins to analyse the sample.

previously had one at the doctors that was also high but I kinda hoped that wasnt helped by the massive cheese cake I had the night before.

I starting to acknowledge that maybe it is very high, otherwise I’m a pretty fit for a 42 year old, better start taking it seriously and get checked out properly.

jobro
    Free Member

TurnerGuy – Member

You’ll be unsurprised to hear that not all GPs believe in the good/bad cholesterol theory.

read “the great cholestrol con”

I have. Hence my comments

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have. Hence my comments

comment not aimed at you, just a follow-on…

jobro
    Free Member

Thanks TurnerGuy

You are right the “great cholesterol con ” is an interesting take on the obsession we have with the link between high fat diets and cardiac outcomes.
    It is, however, just one piece of evidence in an ever complex story.

I’m know at work as “the guy who thinks Statins are the work of the devil” Its the peddling of these drugs by organisations like NICE that really worries me.

But to go back to the OP. Get it checked out, do your research and make your own mind up what to do next.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Eat more Animal fat and less white starchy carbohydrate wheat/breads and sugars, it will drop within a week or two.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have genetically high collestoral, fist tested in my early 20’s. Have a proper test and then you can decide whether you want to change your diet etc. Eat sensibly and ride your bike is a very good start.

brassneck

I’m know at work as “the guy who thinks Statins are the work of the devil” Its the peddling of these drugs by organisations like NICE that really worries me.

.. and I tend toward it being a case of bad prescription rather than the statins themselves – they certainly have a place in the armoury.

OP – I got called back for another check (I’d insisted on the original one). No one told me you were supposed to be fasted.. and 2 boiled eggs apparently elevate your levels a bit! Second test was lower end of normal, simple by skiping brekkie, but also got the breakdown which was considered healthy.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Statins are out of patent now, aren’t they?

Is that why they are pushing for everyone to have them, so they will make money now by the sheer number of pills being taken?

cloudnine
    Free Member

fist tested

Did your gp do this test?

tinybits
    Free Member

interesting. I had a test this morning (no results yet) which was a fasted test. I had blood tests for other reasons (arthritis) however is was a ‘whie a needle is stuck into your arm’ type thing. So, interested in the results now, an the follow on advice. I’m pretty sure I’ll end up very confused.

cinnamon_girl

This is the blog you need to read, it’s his area of expertise. He won’t be popular with the Establishment for his views and he tells it like it is:

http://drmalcolmkendrick.org/

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Great blog that is Cinnamongirl, its its an in depth way of telling them what i posted earlier in the thread

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Eh??? What happend to the rest of my text??? Only the begining got posted??? Weird!

Trekster

Contrast in GP attitudes?
    My levels are a wee bit higher than MrsTs yet she got prescribed statins, I didn’t?
    The statins prescribed to MrsT did not mix well with the other meds she takes for her psoriac arthritis and laid her low for a week before her GP believed they were actually having the side affects listed. She just happened to be the 1 in whatever 1k+ person to suffer 🙄
    MrsT works in an NHS field and knows how GPs are funded 😉

Esme
    Free Member

Lawmanmx, did you try to put an ampersand in there? That seems to get chopped off 😕

DrP

Trekster… When you say you’re wife know how GPs are funded ‘wink’, could you elaborate?

DrP

hora
    Free Member

How do you tell? A test? I give blood so maybe they pick it up there? (They routinely screen your blood for other things)

jobro
    Free Member

DrP – Member

Trekster… When you say you’re wife know how GPs are funded ‘wink’, could you elaborate?

DrP

Yes come on Trekster. What is this funding model of which you speak. QOF??

By the way. The decision to place a patient on Statins is often decided through a complex algorithm called QRisk. It may be that although your wife has slightly lower cholesterol levels she may have other issues raising her risk of cardiac disease and hence placed on Statins. All GP’s use the same risk calculator so its not a difference in GP attitudes.

cinnamon_girl

We need transparency and we’re not getting it with NICE and their links to Big Pharma nor with clinical trials that are biased right from the start.

Is the reason why GPs are leaving the profession in droves due to them being put in an impossible position with regard to prescribing targets for medicalising conditions instead of utilising their knowledge to know what is the most appropriate treatment, if any, for the patient?

Thresholds for many conditions are being reduced hence the increase in prescribing statins and other medications.

Read ‘Doctoring Data’ by Dr Malcolm Kendrick and learn how statistics are being manipulated by creative wording and the twisting thereof.

We need a fundamental shift in our attitude towards health and that begins by introducing personal health to the curriculum at school.

I’ll shut up now and step down from my soapbox. 😀

cinnamon_girl
    Trekster

Yes come on Trekster. What is this funding model of which you speak. QOF??

Think c_g has explained it better than my limited education could…. And yes MrsT has a number of other ongoing conditions which may or may not stop her working before retirement age. One would have by now if her consultant/GP hadn’t capitulated and prescribed an expensive trial drug which has allowed her a better standard of life. So it’s not all bad 😆 but the statin period over many months was…..

jobro
    Free Member

Think c_g has explained it better than my limited education could….

I know this is probably labouring the point, but actually CG hasn’t explained your point at all.

CG refers to “Doctoring Data”(great book) which primarily looks at the shenanigans that go on in medical research, national guidance and the pharmaceutical industry.

It does not address or imply any link between GP funding and Big Pharma, if that is what you were referring to. There are links I accept, but not around general funding which is primarily an issue with local CCG’s.

Sorry OP this is going off topic I know, but something I care passionately about (I’m very wary of new NICE guidance and wont commission it without empirical trial)

cinnamon_girl

jobro – may I just hijack your reply to Trekster? Who is one supposed to trust these days cos from my old, cynical and jaded viewpoint it’s looking as clear as mud!

Do you work for the NHS then?

nickc

Who is one supposed to trust these days

IME you’re best of with the clinicians who’ve known you for years. Personally, those front line primary care GPs and Dentists are doing a difficult job with limited resources, but are probably still your best bet for fundamentally decent honest opinions and care*.

The ‘problem’ if you want my opinion is that funding of healthcare in this country is directed politically towards those large white buildings full of sick people when they should be going into primary care which isn’t nearly as headline grabbing and sexy.

The system’s beginning to change, but there are many vested interested, and not all of them are pharma and corporate.

* I’m sort of aware that you’ve had issues with both GPs and dentists, I’m not suggesting for a minute that they’re all sainted, but most are trying to do their best, y’know?

jobro
    Free Member

Do you work for the NHS then?

’tis the cross I carry. A clinical commissioner, specifically, Diagnostic services for Devon.

And yes its as clear as mud. Which is why I say Kendrick is great, but look at all the voices out there.

I’ve only just learnt out that obesity doesn’t cause type 2 diabetes! Its a mad world

The good news is that riding your bike is the best thing you can do, and if you ride a 29er its even better. Fact 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

It does not address or imply any link between GP funding and Big Pharma, if that is what you were referring to. There are links I accept, but not around general funding which is primarily an issue with local CCG’s.

she only has indirectly – as if you read Dr kendricks great cholestrol con book you will come away with a clear association between pharma and statin recommendations from the medical industry, in that the evidence for the effectiveness of statins shown by the trials he quotes in his book is very tenuous, but the link between people conducting the trials and/or recommending statins and pharma is not.

The book also that it is only after you have a heart attach that statins are shown to reduce the risk of having another one, but not actually bettering mortality.

Being that the health industry recommended avoiding saturated fats for a long time and pushed people to margarines, which now turn out to be bad for you, then it is right to be very dubious of any recommendation of theirs to use statins.

The book also points out that your brain needs cholestrol to work properly, which is why statins can be bad for your memory, as pointed out by some prominent people but also shouted down by the pharma influenced medical industry.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Plus has anyone ever trialled the combination of statins and drugs that MrsT is on?

Who knows what the risk is of combining them.

nickc

’tis the cross I carry. A clinical commissioner, specifically, Diagnostic services for Devon.

ooh, small world I work for a diagnostic services provider…

jobro
    Free Member

I agree entirely Turnerguy. The links between lipid research and Statin manufacturers is very disturbing.

Suggsey
    Free Member

As a previous statin taker I can safely say that I no longer live in a mental fog and feel crap 24/7 having come off them over 7 months ago. My leg and arm stregth is back as is my endurance…..yes my total serum has gone up from 3.2 to 5.6 (but I’d had cheese nearly every day as its my one vice left in life being a diabetic).
    My good cholesterol wil protect my heart as will the increased amount of riding I can do again now whereas previously I would struggle to walk up hills I used to ride up and can now ride up again.
    The overall effect of statins on the human body is not just to reduce cholesterol but so much more other damaging debilitating side effects ie memory loss…I was forgetting people’s names who I knew really well, couldn’t go to the shops for two items without forgetting one of them once there.
    I would love to know if there’s any link to statin use and reduction in Vitamin D levels…they are known reduce CQ10 for instance…..as now I’m on Vit D3 supplements I e dropped a diabetic tablet and shed a stone in weight in two months and there is a study somewhere that shows when people who couldn’t tolerate statins for joint and muscle pain had their Vit D levels restored and were put back on statins that they had no more muscle/joint/pain or weakness!
    My new doctor doesn’t seem to be driven by just dishing out a hammer size tablet to hit the pin tack on the head and I have to say it’s rather refreshing than from my old surgery where the ethos seemed to be funding driven.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘High Cholesterol…’ is closed to new replies.