Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • High capacity floppy discs?
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Does such a thing exist. This is further my 'pics on old computer post'
    The tower seems to have had a good kicking whilst being stored for the last eight years. The floppy disc does work though. So I wondered about getting some images onto one?

woody2000

Yep – 1.44Mb. Best to get a few!

druidh
    Free Member

How big are the photos?

rs
    Free Member

if by high capacity you mean 1MB or so!

druidh
    Free Member

2.88Mb Floppies were available…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

what was wrong with the suggestions of:
    a) usb drive
    b) web
    c) removing drive and plugging into external case ?

woody2000

I bet you can't find a single PC that uses one though onion!

zigzag69
    Free Member

There were 2.88m I believe, but they needed a 2.88m specific drive. Standard being 1.44m.

If you can't hookup a CD burner, or connect the hard drive to another PC, you may just have to do it the hard way and copy them one or two at a time on a floppy.

If the image files are bigger than what will fit on a single floppy, you'll need to split them up over multiple disks, ie. Google 'file split' and download one of those utilities.

woody2000

It must have a USB port, get an external burner or HD. Much easier

GrahamS

Missed the original post, but if it is an ancient PC with no USB or ethernet then you could probably fit either a network card or a USB card for around the same price as a stack of floppys.

Then you could just copy the photos to a USB stick , internet or another PC on the network.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Best bet, by far, is to buy an IDE>USB adapter and remove the original drive. Network cards and USB cards might not agree with software on the PC, but you can guarantee that a IDE>USB converter will be able to read the hard drive.

mefty
    Free Member

If you can't connect via ethernet you could try a serial port connection I seem to remember transferring files from an old pc using that method.

uplink
    Free Member

If you can't connect via ethernet you could try a serial port connection I seem to remember transferring files from an old pc using that method.

Laplink?

geoffj

Defo remove hdd and bung in a USB enclosure.
    Or if you really want to make life complicated, try and find a serial Zip drive on Ebay and use that. Although you'll need a USB to serial converter on the new PC.

If you are really struggling I'll do it for you if you send me the hdd. tWas you I bought the Giant road bike off wasn't it?

Geoff

coffeeking
    Free Member

(uplink) Many modern PCs dont come with RS232 ports. It's also horrifically slow.

uplink
    Free Member

(uplink) Many modern PCs dont come with RS232 ports. It's also horrifically slow.

I was replying to meftys post not suggesting how to do it

I remember laplink very well, not too bad over a parallel port IIRC

mefty
    Free Member

Seem to remember there was a windows utility in Windows 95, was not quick but at least you could set it up and leave it – compared to copying floppies it would be a breeze.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I was replying to meftys post not suggesting how to do it

I know.

geoffj

Windows 95 version 2 or whatever it was called, the one before 98, defo had USB support. Was a bit flakey iirc but it should cope with a low capacity 250 mb USB disk. All you would need then, would be a USB card.

CountZero

Wow, floppy discs! I remember those, had a work computer with a 40Mb hdd. Ahh, those were the days.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

oldit seems to have done a runner…

snaps
    Free Member

😆

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘High capacity floppy discs?’ is closed to new replies.