Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • HIFI: Wharfdal 9.1 or B&W 601 or..
  • rockthreegozy
    Free Member

My current Wharfdale speakers cost me £35- well reviewed but they were obvioussly never amazing!

So i'd like to upgrade- looking at new Wharfdale Diamond 9.1 (£100) or some second hand B&W 601 (probably s1/s2) although i'd like 602's if they were cheap..

Anyone got any opinions? Unlikely to be able to hear either/both in a shop

yunki
    Free Member

B+W

shermer75
    Free Member

Got the Diamond 9.1s, really good if you like lots of detail- works best for jazz and classical music. Lacks 'welly' tho- bit of a letdown on anything like rock or some filthy arsed d'n'b. In a word, well, civilised! 😉

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

B&W always sound very crisp, but Tannoy are my favourite for a richer sound. I have no experience of Wharedale speakers even tho they are (were) made a few miles away from my home.

neilforrow

depends on your ear… how do you like things reproduced…

KEF: crystal clear sound… quite bright

B&W: bass heavy, good depth…

Tannoy: Good all rounder..

I own a set of KEF iQ50's stunning speakers… tey looking out for some Q55#s or Q55.2's both very good and cheep on the bay'.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Music wise its;

Deftones
    Radiohead
    Hot Chip
    Manic Street Preachers
    Chemical Brothers
    Beth Orton
    Imogen Heap
    Queens of the Stone Age

etc

neilforrow

into the same music across the board – for me the b&w while very good speakers didnt cope with heavy stoner rock that well… bands like QOTSA and radiohead get lost in a lot of bass, and you miss all the detail that makes up their sound, hence why i went for the KEF,s. Bands like hotchip / postal service sound so crisp, the KEFs really bring out the production.

if you listen to more electronica then go for the b&w's

tannoys are great, but they are a lot of ££

simonlovell999
    Free Member

i bought a good deal at cash converters

castle isis speakers
    chord carnival cables
    nad 3320 pe amp
    target stands

all for £55

good price

GJP
    Free Member

I had some small Kefs a long time ago (Coda 7's) they were a good all rounder.

Acoustic Energy AE109s could be had s/h for less than £100. They were a very fine floor stander speaker in their day for their price.

Naranjada
    Free Member

I'd recommend Monitor Audio BR1 for a small space or BR2 for a bigger space if you're looking for bookshelf sized units with a good sound/pound ratio. I have the BR1s in my kitchen on some cheap wall mounts hooked up to a Denon DAB M37 unit and they fairly sing.

Your Wharfedale Diamond and B+W options are good too.

Thing is, hi-fi choice is totally subjective and it really does benefit you to demo if you can; the difference in sound between 2 pairs of near identically specced speakers can be massive. Most hi-fi dealers will be happy to demo either in their demo room or on the shop floor if the demo room's taken.

Try before you buy!

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I have some B&W DM601's and to be honest they have been related to my pc speakers.

I use a couple of pairs of early 70's Mordaunt Shorts as my main stereo.

I feel the 601 are a bit limited, they sound a bit empty in comparison to the MS's. The bass isnt great, yeah its pretty loud for a small speaker but its ill defined. The treble is ok but nothing outstanding.

For £100 i'd get on ebay and pick up a decent 3way in a good sized box.

If your going to buy B&W then you want something like this:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/B-W-DM2-Speakers-Transmission-Line-Design-Superb-Sound_W0QQitemZ270562890532QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers?hash=item3efece1324#ht_910wt_1165

I have a couple of pairs and they are suberb 🙂

nicko74

May also depend on what amp you have. I have an Arcam Solo running through Kef Q1s, and it's definitely a bit brighter than my last setup, but I'm happy enough with it. Very clear sound, but not a hugely bassy combination. I'd recommend them, if you can find them – they also have a similar shape to the Wharfedales, which makes them look less boxy.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘HIFI: Wharfdal 9.1 or B&W 601 or..’ is closed to new replies.