Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • HiFi speakers ..
  • mrmoofo

I currently have some B&W 704s , going through a Roksan Kandy amp …
    It used to be set up in a big room, and now it isn’t … we are probably talking 3.4 metres X 3.5 m ….

I would like some smaller speakers to fit the room … I also want them to not break the bank. I am quite happy to go second hand … but B&W stuff ( esp 8 series and PM1s go for stupid money)
    I mainly listen to indie/ dance/ rock music ….

Any recommendations …. max price 500 GBP. But less would be good …

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Well the 601s used to be good for the money – their modern equivalent 685 is reviewed well in certain mags.
    It’s been years since I bought, but I preferred JM Lab/Focal to them to be honest, for similar music styles to what you mention.

jairaj

+1 for JM Lab/Focal

First switched over to Focal speakers 10 years after demoing lots of speakers. The Focal speakers performed better in a small room and pushed close against the wall. The B&W speakers I demoed sounded great but needed room to breath.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bob_summers

I asked a similar question here and in the end went for some ex demo 685s which I’m very happy with but are a totally different sound to the Dittons they replaced. They were cheap (had a dented tweeter which was replaced anyway) but I would have been happy at full price too I reckon.
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/downsizing-hifi-speakers

Xylene
    Free Member

I’ve got an original pair of 601s attached to an exposure amp, on 30in stands filled with sand. I forgot how good they were.

B&W have just been bought out though by a tech-startup

Kamakazie

What’s the placement like? If you are going to push them up against a wall take a look at front ported ones.

Tones of choice in that price range though.

mrmoofo

They will be on stands, away from the wall (about 50 cm)
    The 685 would be on the list – but the look so mundane …

Focal seem a little out of my price range … and I have never heard of them. Obviously French, though …

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Why would you buy audio/Hifi gear on someone else’s say so without listening to it first yourself?

bob_summers

The 685 would be on the list – but the look so mundane …

That’s kind of what I was after, I took the grilles off for the photo but normally keep them on to protect them from my 3yo’s prying fingers.

mrmoofo

Mr Woppitt,

Because there is tonnes of stuff. I would like to come up with a shot list and them see if I can source etc …..
    I had never heard of Focal , for example.

Why would you ask people opinions of bikes … I personally just don’t have the the time for a long, drawn out selection process…

dickster
    Free Member

My last pair of hi-fi speakers were a pair of PMC GB1+’s and they were brilliant. Small for a floorstander yet amazingly detailed and powerful. I think the ex-gf sold them on ebay for £400 🙁
    The stand mounted ones are equally as good.
    Good luck.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Totem Arro or Audio Physic Sparks are both lovely little speakers.

mrmoofo

PMC, Audio Physic and item only miss the pricing point by 1.5k …..

moonwrasse
    Free Member

Build your own? I built a pair of transmission lines 15 years ago. never heard anything that beats them…http://www.iplacoustics.co.uk/IPL%20HI%20FI%20&AV.htm

mrmoofo

Bob Summers – thanks for the link …..

mrmoofo

So why the recommendations for Focal…
    What makes them special?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Slight hijack … I have a NAD amplifier from the very late 1980’s whats the liklihood it will still work amd what speakers ? Are there converters I can get to get a source into it as of course its all ancient connectors. I don’t want to chuck it it for a variety of reaons not least sentimental

nosedive
    Free Member

Should be able to get a set of mint linn katan for £400 or less. Great for small rooms and fully shielded in case they need to go near telly

dickster
    Free Member

You mentioned you would be happy to go secondhand. If so there are a couple of pairs of PMCs on eBay finishing this evening.

slowoldman

NAD, ancient connectors? Surely standard phonos aren’t they?

mrmoofo

Okay, I see one pair of PMC monitors , with a chunk out of the back for 430 GBP
    And a drive to Kentish Town…
    And some floor standers ( which are no good to me – I would keep the 704s) at nr 500

At least I could audition some 685s or Focals

stenhousemuir
    Free Member

Good choice of album Mr Summers

stenhousemuir
    Free Member

Don’t like the rozzers either

Fantombiker

Totem Arro wish I never had sold mine…..

bob_summers

stenhousemuir – Member
    Good choice of album Mr Summers

I was looking for excuses to hate the 685s since they replaced my beloved Dittons, but they won me over when I played that and The Sagas of Klashnekoff!

jairaj

So why the recommendations for Focal…
    What makes them special?

Sorry been away for a few days. I went for Focal over a few other brands because for my tastes they sounded the best.

I prefered the tight and rhythmic sounds they produced, they didn’t go as low as some others notably the B&W but the bass was cleaner and less wooly. The tweeter had a wonderfully bright and airy sound to it but needed careful partnering as it could sound harsh with the wrong source or amp. They just produced a wonderfully crisp and clean sound that wasn’t too clinical and were fun to listen to. They also produced a better soundstage and I felt like I was enveloped in the sound rather than it being blasted at me.

The BW in comparison (sorry can’t remember model numbers) had a big bold sound which for a quick listen initially sounded great but after I analysed the sound a bit more it wasn’t as crisp or clean as the Focals all the edges felt a bit more rounded. They also seemed to prefer a bit more breathing space. Which at the time I didn’t really have.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The floorstanding PMC FB1+s I borrowed for home trial once contolled the bass very well I though, and they are quite slim. Although probably over budget.

Kamakazie

If you’re near a decent hifi store just go in and try what they have then pick the ones in your budget that sound best to you. Even better, take your favourite 2 home and compare them in that environment.

You really can’t go wrong with anything at that price range and whilst there are standouts, even those might not fit your room or your taste.

The last hifi kit I bought ended up being the cheaper of the models I tested because they partnered up the best on 90% of the music I listened to. Online reviews and user comments would have had me spending more for a less pleasing sound!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘HiFi speakers ..’ is closed to new replies.