Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • HiFi question/ suggestions needed
  • downhillsquirrel
    Free Member

My 26 year old Yamaha A220 amp has finally given up the ghost it seems :(, crackily off/on volume control and now will only play through one channel, is there a repair or a suggested replacement – good, affordable simple amp…? Based East Midlands.

Cheers DHS

ps: A replacement will need a phono turntable input for my Rega 2

CHB

Richersounds had some nice NAD amps in with massive reductions when I looked earlier in the week….just looked all gone now!
    I like NAD amps and have 3 of them of various vintages.

GJP
    Free Member

Rega Brio always seem to get very good reviews for their price, but i doubt they come with a phono input as standard. You can buy a cheap Rega Phono mini stage for £70. £320 all in – less i bit for buying them both together?

I doubt a repair is economic. You could take a punt on s/h amp on the bay. Arcam seems to represent good value and could probably be had for the price of a repair. Again you will be lucky to get a phono stage as standard.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

A repair could easily be as cheap as £4.99 for a tin of Servisol Super 10. A crackling dial is most likely nothing more than a build-up of dirt; so, although it’ll mean taking the top off your amp, a short blast of switch cleaner, followed by a dozen or so full movements of the volume dial, should sort you out. The losing of one channel is likely to be related to the same problem. It goes without saying that you should have the amp unplugged when you do this.

glenp
    Free Member

+1 for cleaning the volume control. Losing one channel very likely the same.

Built in phono is rare these days. Ebay could be a good place…

downhillsquirrel
    Free Member

Thanks Three Fish / glenp worth a punt for the price of a can of switch cleaner 😀

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘HiFi question/ suggestions needed’ is closed to new replies.