Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • hifi – does this exist?
  • scotia
    Free Member

Im trying to find something to do a function but i dont know enough about audio equipment.. stw normally has all the experts!

We would like to have a base ‘sound system’ in the lounge (this is open plan) which is capable of radio (as in standard antenna or DAB if poss), ipod/phone dock and cd’s.

We would then like to have some speakers in the kitchen to relay the sound for when the fan is on etc and also to not have to have the sound too high in the lounge..

ideally this would be wireless. But all i find on the web seems to be for playing from iphone/android or tablet – or a nas based library. nothing from a stereo system.

Does this exist or are we thinking moon on a stick?!

thanks for any help.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member
    warton
    Free Member

just stick another pair of speakers on your amp (if you have two outputs, and don’t mind cables) and buy a switch to play,one or both sets, buy a cable to plug your phone into? you can probably buy a pair of wireless speakers to avoid the wires issue

Rusty, SONOS wouldn’t do it, as you have no way to play physical CDs throughout the system. you could buy a connect to turn the hifi into a sonos streaming player, but playing CDs on that hifi wouldn’t stream to other SONOS units…

Speaking of SONOS, i was so close to buying the soundbar yesterday…. my rationale was it would free up the Play 3 in the living room, to go into the dining room, saving money 🙄 my wife just gave me ‘the’ look…

woody2000

Bluetooth sender plugged in to the main hifi, bluetooth speaker in the kitchen?

Sui
    Free Member

surely just some wireless speakers will do the job, or a wireless repeater to a passive/active speaker.

sparky1uk
    Free Member

Another vote for SONOS as long as your broadband is half decent and you have smartphones and or tablets to control it from. And a Spotify premium account to stream music (no need for CDs then).

warton
    Free Member

And a Spotify premium account to stream music (no need for CDs then).

I have plenty of CDs burned onto my NAS that aren’t on spotify.

sparky1uk
    Free Member

Ok, a NAS too! I like spending other peoples money 😉

wonderchump
    Free Member

+1 SONOS

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Rusty, SONOS wouldn’t do it, as you have no way to play physical CDs throughout the system. you could buy a connect to turn the hifi into a sonos streaming player, but playing CDs on that hifi wouldn’t stream to other SONOS units…

SONOS seem to imply the Play 5 would beam out a signal based on it’s AUX input, though I might have misread that somewhat.

freddyg
    Free Member

Get a “normal” hifi (amp, CD, speakers etc), and then connect this (clicky-linky) to it. This will then allow you to drive speakers in other rooms using your physical media as a source – or connecting to internet radio sources.

scotia
    Free Member

thanks for the replies.. im liking the ideas of warton and sui.. but these wireless speakers you talk of – have you a link? all i find are things that i dont think will do the job – seem to be only setup for the mp3 side of things and internet radio..

ideally we’d like sth that doesnt stream music..i like the idea of connectivity etc but some reason need to convinced..

scotia
    Free Member
    scotia
    Free Member

ah ok – that seems to have varied reviews! i get what you mean tho..

So the ones above wouldnt work for me? They talk about airplay etc..

warton
    Free Member

Get a “normal” hifi (amp, CD, speakers etc), and then connect this (clicky-linky) to it. This will then allow you to drive speakers in other rooms using your physical media as a source – or connecting to internet radio sources.

sorry I stand corrected, the connect will do that, ignore my earlier post 🙂

so, in light of that, the answer is SONOS!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘hifi – does this exist?’ is closed to new replies.