Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Hifi buffs what's the thought on DAC's
  • treksuperfly
    Free Member

I’ve got a Rega Brio powering Dynaudio Emit M10’s I and use a Sonos connect as my server due to having other Sonos products in the house .
    I was just wondering if a dac would make a difference and be the next upgrade ?
    £500 max budget

blakec
    Free Member

I have a very similar system (rega brio to dynaudio) to you but have also have the rega dac.

I think the dac improves both the Sonos connect and the PS4. But I can’t hear a difference on the mini mac that is also connected to it. Biggest improvement is to the PS4

I had an arcam dac before the rega one but I didn’t like the sound it created.

wilburt
    Free Member

I’m just getting back into HIFI after a couple of decades absence.

It seems a good DAC is the new ‘source’ so makes sense to get a good one.

I recently bought a old CD payer with an upgraded DAC which is a bit half and half given most people are likely to have lossless media on a HD somewhere but I quite like CD’s sort of vinyl without the faff.

My system sound good enough and after spending a small fortune on HIFI in the eighties I’m keen not to go too far down that rabbit hole again.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    coolhandluke
    Free Member

My Creek player has a DAC that I can use for other sources. My Sonos connects to it optically!

I think it’s cool.

Cougar

This is going to end well.

treksuperfly
    Free Member

Cheers people …. I was a little worried this was going to go down the quality cable route and get blasted haha

gobuchul
    Free Member

Why not try the super cheap option and see what noise it makes.

I was very surprised at how good this sounded Behringer UCA202 for £24

ourmaninthenorth

The Rega DAC itself is well regarded (I don’t mean reviewed – I tend to ignore hifi press). You can pick up one for £300 second hand.

The Cambridge Dacmagic and Audiolab MDAC are also both well thought of.

TBH DACs have got to the point where diminishing returns set in very quickly – lots of decent stuff for not mega money.

(I stream from my iMac to an Apple Airport Express – nothing I have read or heard yet tells me to bypass its own internal DAC)

TiRed

Chord Mojo seems to be very highly regarded. But I imagine that DAC technology has moved on so much that anything in the £300 price range will show an improvement for a Sonos. Not that mine are fed into anything other than the Onkyo receiver DAC.

allthegear
    Free Member

I could really use a DAC that has a volume control on it, with remote control right now. That would sort out a lot of wiring for me!

So, basically, a DAC + preamp that would then plug direct into my LINN power amp.

Rachel

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I bought an Audiolab Mdac to play my Logitech Squeezebox Touch through and it was a big improvement on the one in the Squeezebox (which is regarded as being pretty decent anyway). The main improvement was in the soundstaging, instruments were very firmly placed and the soundstage extended well outside the width of the speakers.

somafunk

I use a Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus but i have a rather lowly mac based system into KRK Rokits & KRK sub, not quite your set-up. It seems to do what i want and has enough inputs for future proofing. Sounds decent enough for my ears anyway.

Cambridge Audio DACS here

Hohum
    Free Member

I had a Sonos Connect and a Rega DAC-R (the latest model with asynchronous USB) and it improved the sound of the music.

Shameless plug, but my DAC-R is currently for sale here:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?50046-Rega-DAC-R-for-sale-only-2-months-old!

sillysilly
    Free Member

I use a cheap / Old Beresford Dac – Upgraded the OpAmps myself. Works nice with Mac / Apple TV / Chromecast and the mass of devices I plug in via USB / optical / standard. It also works as a headphone Amp for under £100. Makes a massive improvement just using headphone out / RCA’s etc on low – mid range devices. Night and say difference when using with large / hard to power headphones. Buy second hand, if you’re not convinced sell back on the Bay – no real risk.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I stream from my iMac to an Apple Airport Express – nothing I have read or heard yet tells me to bypass its own internal DAC

I used an airport express and the optical connection into a beresford DAC (bypassing internal DAC) and when I tried it on its own it was inferior in sound quality compared to the beresford and now the Musical fidelity V-Dac I use now.

That said the DAC in a MacBook Pro was very good as is the one in a iPhone, the iPad was terrible though.

I don’t think you have to spend thousands but there are differences, also depends on your system revealing those differences.

treksuperfly
    Free Member

I’m going to have a listen to the Arcam rPlay which is a Dac and hi-rez streamer in one as the Sonos will only play cd quality but keep the Sonos for the multi room too

xico
    Free Member

So, basically, a DAC + preamp that would then plug direct into my LINN power amp.

Hi Rachel,

I’m using a Benchmark DAC1 HDR, which does just that, and has a volume control and remote. Was very expensive when new, but secondhand versions can be had for more sensible money.

treksuperfly
    Free Member

I ended up buying the Arcam rPlay and super pleased as it’s so much better sounding than the Sonos connect plus it finds all the music in on your system and plays 24bit 192

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Hifi buffs what's the thought on DAC's’ is closed to new replies.