Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • hifi – battery psu for a squeezebox
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Has anyone hooked up a lead acid battery to their squeezebox (touch, in my case)?

5V 3A means a 6V battery and 3W 0.33 ohm resistor would work (I think), should give a rock-solid clean supply for much cheapness…

…any thoughts?

bazzer
    Free Member

It won’t work because the 3A is the max current the power supply can provide, not what it is providing all the time. When its not doing anything the current will fall as will the voltage drop across your resistor leading to more than 5V being delivered to your squeezebox.

How about a 12V battery pack and using a car to usb charger. This should have a regulated 5V output. Should be able to pick one up for a couple of quid.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ah cool ta, thanks for that.

pedalhead
    Free Member

geek! Although having said that, I’ve got a CI Audio psu for my Squeezebox. Not sure if it made any improvement, but it looks nice. That stock switching psu is pretty horrible.

bazzer
    Free Member

I really love mine. I have a Touch downstairs and a Duet upstairs.

Use the spotify an iPlayer apps and it works really well. Would like a boom for the kitchen too.

Markie
    Free Member

Booms are fantastic IMO. And I really like their iPhone app!

alfabus
    Free Member

I didn’t get on with the official squeezebox app – iPeng is much better 🙂

Dave

cynic-al
    Free Member

A good PSU is fundamental to hi fidelity IMO/E, and it’s partnered with reasonable kit.

pedalhead
    Free Member

btw I also have a nice external DAC on one of my Squeezeboxes and it is quite an improvement.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have one too 😀 …what’s best to connect them?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘hifi – battery psu for a squeezebox’ is closed to new replies.