• This topic has 29 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Sui.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • HiFi again – So long Sonos
  • Sui
    Free Member

OK a little missleading, but after having read the numerous post on what cheap hifi, and “how to make me 21st centry” and the like and continually reading Sonos, sonos… i too got the bug for a new music system. Having reviewed SO SO SO many (it’s a bloomin minefield) I went and bought a Streaming speaker from JBL -“JBL Authentics L8”, it’s an all-in-one jobbie and comes highly recommended.

I’d looked at:

Sonos (not surprisingly)
    Sony SRS X9
    Cambridge Audio Air 200
    Marshall
    Samsung and LG equivalents
    Denon HEOS 7

But the JBL thing seemed to stand out for it’s connectivity. Despite it being like rockinghorse pooh and all the reviews were American, i bought one. It turned up yesterday, and it;s a nice bit of retro/modern type chic. I played around for hours trying to figure the thing out, it sounds BLOODY FANTASTIC, though i was getting annoyed at not being able to conenct Spotify are other streaming services without bluetooth.

So this morning a phone call to JBL and ask them – oh sorry sir, that’s only for America… Eh, why? Just is. Brilliant. So anyway it’s on a 30day no quibble return policy so it’s going back.

Roll on the hunt for something else. I’ve gone back to the HEOS, originally ruled out due to lack of bluetooth. However (and the reason for the poor rant), SONY, Denon and a few others are incorporating Chromecast in the coming months – so NO MORE BLUETOOTH needed.. They are supposedly rolling out firmware updates shortly.. HEOS was the only system offering up true multiroom flexibility over Sonos, but Sonos sound, though good, was still a bit..mleh..

So, who’s got a HEOS and or JBL L8?

flange
    Free Member

Errr – why not Sonos?

Sui
    Free Member

no bluetooth (like to listen to other broadcasts that arn’t supported like you tube or Redbull radio) or Airplay (for when others want to use Iphones) on Sonos. PLus it sounded mleh to the others i did try. then again i’m not a techno geek, or hifi buff..

Candodavid
    Free Member

I use my home theatre with a wi fi connection, can do AirPlay too.

docrobster
    Free Member

I’ve been using sonos happily since 2008. The older design bridge/amp things, not got a play:anything.
    So not looked at any of the competition.
    Can you use line in on the new play devices? That’s what I do for redbulltv/YouTube etc.

MrNice
    Free Member

do you want cheap or do you want lots of functions and good sound quality?

As Keith Bontrager might have said: high function, good sound quality, cheap – pick any two

Cougar

You can get BT add-on dongles for not much money. I was looking at one the other day that had NFC, so you don’t even need to faff about pairing it. Hold the phone next to the dongle, bink you’re paired, have a nice day. Twenty of your English pounds, sir.

nedrapier

I’ve just bought an Epiphany E-DAC. Makes everything from the ‘puter or tablet phones (tele- not head-) sound loads better.

not cheap, but not stupid expensive either. I’m happy with the improvement for the price – I’m really not a hi-fi buff.

nedrapier

I bought an Arcam miniblink too, and it’s lovely and handy, but doesn’t sound as good.

brassneck

Airplay (for when others want to use Iphones)

You don’t need it, the Sonos app will ‘airplay’ from your device. And for that matter it’s removed any Bluetooth requirement for me too.

brassneck, very happy Play:1 owner. Super happy as Mrs B thought it’d look good in the new kitchen and asked for it for Christmas.

TiRed

New Sonos/Deezer/Spotify/… Play1/5 user here. Works seamlessly and Deezer is not firewalled at work (unlike Spotify), so I can listen to Montiverdi in the open plan office to my heart’s content.

Now someone recommend a decent USB DAC please?

ahwiles
    Free Member

I have no idea how to listen to music anymore.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

There is also Bluesound as an alternative although I don’t think they support BT. Main place to see / hear is Sevenoaks Sound and Vision – not sure why, but it may be that Sevenoaks are one of the only authorised distributors of NAD equipment these days. Not heard any of the devices but could be considered an alternative to Sonos.

IHN

I have no idea how to listen to music anymore.

This. I is confused. Putting a CD in a little drawer and pressing play was so easy… 🙁

wobbliscott
    Free Member

No BT is a bonus in my view. Convenient but a sonds crap. Sonos is great but limited to sonos app, but it’s a bloody good app. No system is perfect and there are many good setups out there. Happy listening. What I like about sonos is its flexibility and configuability. A Mate of mine has a play 5 and 2 play 1’s for his two kids. Normpally they’re configured as separate devices, but for his New Years eve party he had his play 5 in one room and his two play 1’s in another but configured as a stereo pair. Both sounded great considering their size and had no problem filling the rooms with loud distortion free sound as any self respecting New Years Eve party demands!

Fat-boy-fat

As said above, no idea why you’d need bluetooth. Sonos let’s you play music from your device, so no worries. You also get in tune radio, which has pretty much every radio station known to man on it. I prefer my connect amp to the sonos play 3s and 5s I have but the quality is pretty good, especially if you stream lossless.

Sui
    Free Member

Don’t get me wrong I don’t particularly like BT but some of the sources I listen too could only be done with it, however now the chromecast is being deployed that solves the problem of connectivity and also sound quality. Popped into Sevenoaks this arvo to listen to the heos 7, had a nice rich balanced sound, but getting it home will tell me if it competes with the JBL pending return (if they announced chromecast I would keep it,but they are not).. This is the most I’ve ever spent on an audio or visual system, missus wasn’t happy

vinnyeh

Sonos is great but limited to sonos app….

no longer, Google Play will stream direct to Sonos now.

Sui
    Free Member

Anyway, the rant was a bit of a psa on the whole casting thing, I only discovered it went talking to bloke in Sevenoaks.. I think it closes the capability gap on what are otherwise really good devices.
    Just wished JBL sorted themselves out, really poor show..

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Vinnyeh, that’s good to know, though I don’t use Google Play. Being limited to the sonos app is’nt necessarily a bad thing. I don’t think there is any solution that gives you total flexibility as all the companies are in it to make money.

Sui, shame on the JBL thing. I like their stuff. I’ve got a portable JBL speaker which is a great piece of kit. I guess lacknof spotify compatability is down to royalties and lisencing so probably would have been sorted at some point.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Just got a couple of Sonos Play 1. I know my Hi-fi and they do sound damn good for their size. They were really easy to set up with my media server, the Sonos app is great and the whole thing just works. Wife and kids love them too.

To the OP if you like the JBL sound I have a couple of LSR 305 powered monitors for my PC. Again they sound great and put together with a suitable media streamer that might do the job for you.

nosedive
    Free Member

this thread made me feel old. i want to upgrade my system as well….but i was debating secondhand linn sondek or new rega 3 + nice phono stage. no idea what you lot are on about

docrobster
    Free Member

Lol I could never afford an lp12 but my 16 yr old daughter has now got my ariston q deck and rotel amp (with phono input) in her room…

firestarter
    Free Member

Damn and i was impressed with my aldi 9 quid job.

The ones that support chromecast do they need the chromecast usb stick thing in them like my tv does or is it all internal

Cheers

mikey74
    Free Member

Audio Engine B1 Bluetooth DAC to amp and speakers of your choice?

Sui
    Free Member

Apparently no other hardware needed for those devices that will support it, I.e.Denon, Sony kit for now will just have a firmware update. If you don’t already have WiFi streaming kit then don’t know, probably a bodge which is already possible with Chromecast+hdmi2vga/hdmi with audio out..

ourmaninthenorth

Just wished JBL sorted themselves out

Really lost their way haven’t they….

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pyWO3ZsJBNw[/video]

firestarter
    Free Member

Currently i have no stereo and all my music is on google play so i was looking at bluetooth speakers but im now looking at some of the others you mentioned cheers

Sui
    Free Member

Is that some loons front room?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘HiFi again – So long Sonos’ is closed to new replies.