Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • hifi advice please….i need a new cassette deck?
  • slowoldman

My Nak 582 gave results very, very close indeed to the original source, certainly indistinguishable from LPs (of course this was pre-digital). Being a 3 head machine it was possible to switch monitoring instantly from source to off-tape allowing immediate comparison.

The machine also allowed manual adjustment of tape head azimuth and tape bias to match the tape being used. I favoured SA-X as I couldn’t really convince myself metal was any better.

martymac

So, after reading this last night, i went browsing for cassette decks on ebay, (i dont own ANY cassettes) spent a couple of hours doing that, then went and bought some mission speakers.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Lol.

Which ones?

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I’d say pick up a good Nakamichi off ebay. I used to have one in the 80s/90s a DR3 I think. With good metal tape and Dolby C it was indistinguishable from the CD source.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Thanks guys, some good ideas. Must say the nakamichi decks are defininetely piquing my interest.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVoSQP2yUYA[/video]

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Buy metal tapes from here (link at end of that video) :

https://tapeline.info/v2/metal-wound-to-length.html

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMTpvr9HXeI&feature=youtu.be[/video]

martymac

702, paid £130 for them, thats posted too.
    I wanted floorstanders to avoid faffing with stands etc, plus we have a young cat which still jumps on ‘anything’
    I have a denon pma250 amp to power them, which is at the lower end of the required output, so next on my agenda will be a more powerful amp at some point.

DezB
    Free Member

Look what I just got in the post. How the hell am I going to listen to it without a Nakawanki? I just won’t get the full benefit! 😆

footflaps

stylus is only parallel to the groove in one place

Not on a linear tracking player…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Not on a linear tracking player…

and how many people use those?

still got all those other issues plus the need to keep the tracking motor noise from the arm, all non-trivial issues.

In HFN this month (first mag bought for years) it was ridiculing the idea that Sony are releasing a deck that will automatically rip a hi-res flac file from your LP – why not just buy the hi-res flac file in the first place and then add the noise, clicks and pops and othe rdistortion and not bother with the record deck?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Look what I just got in the post. How the hell am I going to listen to it without a Nakawanki? I just won’t get the full benefit!

so whose the foolish one here – the one who denies cassettes can sound good, posseses a cheap cassette player and rests it on top of a vibrating speaker that also emits magnetic fields, and then buys a prerecorded cassette when prerecorded cassettes were notoriously of poor quality because they were dubbed at high speeds, or anyone else ?

DezB
    Free Member

Funnily enough, I buy a pre-recorded cassette because I’m actually into music. It’s the only format some stuff is available in.
    Takes all sorts I guess.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Funnily enough, I buy a pre-recorded cassette because I’m actually into music. It’s the only format some stuff is available in.
    Takes all sorts I guess.

I take it that is the Monsanto album based on the dba127 number. Some simple googling gets you to their bandcamp page where you can get the digital versions…

Takes all sorts…

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Now now…

DezB
    Free Member

Try googling harder and you might find which tracks are only available on cass 😆

This is getting too silly for me!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Try googling harder and you might find which tracks are only available on cass

“Cassette edition includes debut single as bonus tracks, including a collaboration with Brian Chippendale of Lightning Bolt / Black Pus. Pro-dubbed w/ full color artwork”

But I assume that is a recent album so why even sell a cassette for one thing, and then to perversely reward the people that buy the cassettes and restrict anybody that wants decent quality.

It’s like some artists doing that with vinyl, pointleslsly restricting their market. Came across someone the other day like this, which just means a lost sale. Way to establish yourself.

8 tracks will be next…

kcal

and how many people use those?

Probably just me!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Bring back Reel to Reel.

I blew my Sony one up years ago (who the hell puts identical 12 and 240v input sockets bloody merged together??!) 🙁

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘hifi advice please….i need a new cassette deck?’ is closed to new replies.