Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Hiding bike upgrades from The Wife
  • ade
    Free Member

I think Yeti had my garage in mind when they chose to sell their new 575 in sulphurous yellow:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gallery/article/video-yeti-575-32613?img=1&pn=video-yeti-575&mlc=news%2Farticle

My wife will never tell the difference!

lunge

I tried pursuading mine that the white bike with big tyres and risers bars was in fact the same bike the as the white bike with drop bars and skinny tyres.

It was all going so well until she saw them both in the garage…along with the little black bike with huge green forks…

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

After getting caught out with the “same colour” trick I’m now running the “I swapped it on the internet” seems to be working at the mo. 😆

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

“Warranty replacement” – also works 😉

steve_b77
    Free Member

Telling the truth can often work too 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

tonyg2003

Unreasonable bike buying was cited as a reason for divorce in a mates recent split. Don’t do it.

The wife has the most expensive bike in the garage. So my bike buying excuse is “it wasn’t as expensive as yours”.

iDave
    Free Member

You probably won’t either….

ade
    Free Member

Sadly true.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

HERETIC! GET OUT!

i fully agree 😉

i like the idea that the poor OP will only ever be able to have yellow full sus frames for the rest of his married life 😆

Rorschach
    Free Member

‘warranty replacement’ love….. 😉

druidh
    Free Member

It’s been said before, but I really can’t understand the level of dishonesty some folk seem to think is natural in their marriage/relationship.

ade
    Free Member

i like the idea that the poor OP will only ever be able to have yellow full sus frames for the rest of his married life

Or a series of “resprays”…

She didn’t spot* a baby blue Inbred turning into a Ti Inbred 🙂

(*or maybe she did, but just didn’t mention it.)

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

tbf – druid – with us its our own spending money and the “this old thing?” is almost a game. She buys god knows how many shoes / handbags / hairdo’s and I prefer not to know how much – as that it obviously a total waste of money.

Which reflects her view on what I buy.

ade
    Free Member

It’s been said before, but I really can’t understand the level of dishonesty some folk seem to think is natural in their marriage/relationship.

“Does my bum look big in this?”

’nuff said.

druidh
    Free Member

couldashouldawoulda – Member
    tbf – druid – with us its our own spending money and the “this old thing?” is almost a game. She buys god knows how many shoes / handbags / hairdo’s and I prefer not to know how much – as that it obviously a total waste of money.

Which reflects her view on what I buy.Aye – the difference is you both know it’s happening and you trust each other not to be spending more than you can afford, so it’s hardly dishonest.

RS4KEV

A 2 year old pointing at Stif advert in magazine “Daddy new bike” 😯 .

As above, SO likes her handbags etc and we just buy what we, ahem, need.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Mrs GW-‘Have you got new forks/bars/wheels/etc on that?’
    GW-‘Yes dear’
    Mrs GW-‘Thought it looked different’

Why the need to hide spending money on something you enjoy?

nickf
    Free Member

The wife has the most expensive bike in the garage. So my bike buying excuse is “it wasn’t as expensive as yours”.

Which is why my wife has a Ti 456 and I make do with steel. And why her ‘other’ Alps bike is a Turner 5-Spot.

Although I have been given a 1-bike-in, 1-bike-out ultimatum, based largely on the fact that there’s no more space in the garage.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

My girlfriend realises bikes make me happy…she leaves me to spend my own money how i want so long as i pay my half the bills and kids stuff. In fact she got so fed up of me on this forum looking at photo posts of new bikes she said ‘look if you’re not happy with the bike you’ve got then get one you will be happy with!’

And so much bike stuff arrives in the post every week whilst i’m at work that my three year old boy knows automatically that any parcel for daddy is bike stuff.

I think the ‘official’ agreement is that i’m allowed as many bikes as she has cats…which is currently 4, used to be 5 🙂

wombat

i like the idea that the poor OP will only ever be able to have yellow full sus frames for the rest of his married life

This +1 😀

argoose
    Free Member

+2

jamiec360
    Free Member

Mine thinks my new T120 cost £800 😀

derekrides
    Free Member

Ask Winterfold he’s been mincing around with a Bandit frame hidden up his dark place for some time now for fear of a pussy whipping from hell if he builds it..

totalshell

we have a simple rule.. dont ask and you wont be misled.. it applys to how much i spend and on what.. as for how many bikes there are in the garage.. she would nt have a clue cant see them for the motorbikes / dust sheets/ garden furniture.. etc

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

What’s a t120?

Wonders “Can I sneak one in without an earbashing”?

Also wonders – “where’s that spare £800?” I wish! Jeez £8 would be good.

Esme
    Free Member

You should be more concerned with hiding the fact that you call her “The Wife” 🙄

Sam

One very good reason for starting your own bike company – “It’s a business expense…”

I think the ‘official’ agreement is that i’m allowed as many bikes as she has cats…which is currently 4, used to be 5 “

Bloody hell, I’d be glad to get rid of some bikes…

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

So Sam – how many cats?

ted1983
    Free Member

Not tried it myself,yet, but I know someone who left his new bike at his mates until it looks used enough to take home as a new “second hand bike”!
    Will see how it works out before i give that one a try!

ajf
    Free Member

showed my wife pictures of the two bikes.

She said they looked the same to her so I reckon you wil be safe!

hugor
    Free Member

My girlfriend realises bikes make me happy…she leaves me to spend my own money how i want so long as i pay my half the bills and kids stuff.

I forgive you young one for making such an innappropriate comparison. I will not belittle you as I once myself thought like you.
    Girlfriends know they are on a try before you buy arrangement, whilst you have a 12 month returns policy on your house, half your income and your pride or reputation. Believe me once that understanding girlfriend becomes a wife, and your warranty expires, your ability to purchase upgrades will significantly diminish to the point where you are desperately seeking wisdom from more experienced individuals around here.

sugdenr
    Free Member

My usual subterfuge is to leave it lying around the kitchen going ‘Look, look at the looooveley shiny bike parts’ until I am told to get my crap out of her way

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

bollox hugor – a relatinship built on decent values means not lying to your other half. 30 yrs together – never hidden a purchase from t’missus

Popocatapetl

I had a Trek 1.5 in white and silver which i upgraded in june to a 5.5 Madone in White and silver! The 1.5 now lives in an Evoc bike bag in the garage, but the wife did notice that i bought a new set of mavic Ksyrium elite wheels for the bike, but didn’t realise it was a new bike! Genius!! (She would divorce me if she Knew how much i spent on my bikes and associated gear: No, i’m not in debt.)

druidh
    Free Member

sugdenr – Member
    My usual subterfuge is to leave it lying around the kitchen going ‘Look, look at the looooveley shiny bike parts’ until I am told to get my crap out of her way

🙂

Nick

I was reading this, thinking, where is TJ?

hugor
    Free Member

never hidden a purchase from t’missus

Well done!!
    The reason for hiding purchases is that they usually exceed a reasonable percentage of your disposable income.
    You’ve either exercised restraint with your spending, or your needs are less than your disposable income.
    Either way you’re onto a good thing.
    For me my wallet usually reacts before my brain.
    I’m sure you’ve hidden other things that you feel she’s better off not knowing about but lets not derail the thread/

mogrim

never hidden a purchase from t’missus

God, I have – half the fun 🙂

Never bought anything that would break the bank, though, obviously.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

hugor – never have, never would. Its not the way I work.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Hiding bike upgrades from The Wife’ is closed to new replies.