• This topic has 48 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by -m-.
Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Hi – My name is Mike and I’m a Merino-aholic
  • johnners
    Free Member

Yes Crikey. Just because the research was funded by people who have something to gain from the positive results does not mean that it was not a scientific test.

Gee, all those drugs out there that help people out every day. The research was funded by drug companies. Oh No!! Their research must be wrong too and actually those drugs dont work!!

Bringing the integrity of drug company studies into it is a peculiar supporting argument. Among other distortions observable in many studies, ever heard of publication bias?

I’m with crikey here. Merino’s OK, and I like its smell resistance especially in contrast to my older man-made tops. In terms of comfort and wicking though, it’s not as good in my experience. That’s my personal experience, based on using both. Doesn’t make me a “hater” or “nay sayer” or whatever other term seems to licence the more childish to get so worked up.

mema
    Free Member

Merino is fab. Having worked in an outdoor shop and was able to get really silly prices for icebreakers I was lucky to try out lots of tops (and socks) for little money. It is warmer than most synthetic materials and I found them better than wearing a fleece. Concerning them getting wet, I rode out of Glen Feshie to Aviemore in the rain (no waterproof cos they are too hot) got to the Cairngorm hotel and just stuck another merino top on top, I didn’t chill and the wet layer wasn’t uncomfortable, no smell it was great. If hadn’t had the opportunity to buy merino at such low prices Im not sure I would be so enthusistic about though. The only merino item I don’t like are merino pants!

epicyclo

Possibly the people who have tried merino base layers and didn’t like them didn’t get them close fitting enough.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    househusband
    Free Member

The only merino item I don’t like are merino pants!

Our next door neighbours (and good mated) bought me a pair of Howies merino pants for my birthday – I was dubious, but they are so incredibly comfortable for walking in! My ‘special treat’ pants, in a way…

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I love my on-one merino socks, 3 pairs for a tenner at Selkirk Merida last year. No signs of wear so far unlike my Smart socks which seemed to wear out very quickly.Not so impressed with my two Howies tops which have got small holes in them despite being careful and not knowingly having snagged them. Do like the thinner one but I got it for 25 quid and I think they are over 60 now, too rich for me. Anybody tried the Ground effect Merino stuff.

djglover
    Free Member

Some of you are obviously really sweaty fat biffers.

Inzane
    Free Member

Steven, the Ground effect Merino stuff is a blend with man made. I have some and it seems to work well. The blend means it will wear for longer etc.

With the pound conversion to the NZ dollar at the moment it is probably pretty cheap too??

matt_outandabout

I too am a merino fan – I have merino and a variety of manmade.

On really hot days, I think my manmade handles sweat better (but it may also be that the manmade tops I wear in hot conditions are more ‘lightweight’ and summer specific.

For 80% of the year, merino is more comfortable, maintains a steadier ‘core’ temperature, is much more comfortable when damp/wet (great for paddling/wet weather). I think its like soft shell stuff vs hardshell – at the ‘extreme’ end of performance its not *quite* as good – but for 80%+ of the time it is superior and more comfortable.

I now get trade discount for work on a brand of merino, and hope to open another when I start with another company for the staff and I… 🙂

-m-
    Free Member

which have got small holes in them despite being careful and not knowingly having snagged them

This is my experience also, with merino stuff from lots of different brands (Howies, Swobo, Ground Effect etc). I like the performance of merino, but the thread from which merino fabrics tend to be woven appear to be either weak, contain some weaknesses, or weaken with wearing/washing. The result is these small holes. For me this makes is functional, but not hardwearing. I’ve never had a similar problem with synthetic stuff, which also has the advantage of being much cheaper…

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Hi – My name is Mike and I’m a Merino-aholic’ is closed to new replies.