• This topic has 48 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by -m-.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Hi – My name is Mike and I’m a Merino-aholic
  • mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

I can’t help it, I’ve bought 4 icebreaker tops this year (all reduced mind). every time I go into an outdoor shop and merino is in the sale I have to buy. It’s compulsive.

I just love it, nothing performs like it.

Does anyone else have this problem?

am I ill?

Andy_K

It is fantastic, congrats – you win!

househusband

What’s your merino sock of choice, Mike?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

socks

ooooh i hadn’t got that far

househusband

socks

ooooh i hadn’t got that far

Pah! Amateur…

bumbly1
    Free Member

Merino sealskinz?

T

PS Agree, Icebreaker kit is excellent.

markd
    Free Member

There is a Discovery Channel reporter who is sponsored by Icebreaker…. the irony is he buys stuff from Embers with his own money.

Take a look – really lovely people too.

http://www.embersmerino.com/

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i think i gave a lift to some of the embers guys mates at the Fort Bill world cup

crikey
    Free Member

I don’t think it performs as well as other man-made base layers; it gets wetter, and stays wetter, and as for all that ‘I can wear it ten days on the run’ stuff, so what? I wash my clothes…

jad
    Free Member

I’m not too keen on it for biking or climbing. The only advantage that I can see over man-made stuff is that it doesn’t smell. It gets wet, stays wet and takes an age to dry. I am naturally a sweaty bugger though.

For non-sweatier activities though, I’d agree it’s quite nice.

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

2x Nike merino tops
    1x Fox merino top
    1x Rapha s/s Fixed jersey
    1x Raphs l/s Fixed jersey
    2x Choccy Fish t-shirts
    2x Old style CF t-shirts
    1x CF LS zip neck
    1x CF heavy weight fleece
    6pr CF sports socks
    1pr CF trekking socks short
    1pr CF trekking socks long
    4pr CF boxer shorts
    1pr longjohns
    1pr Maverick socks
    1pr Cars-r-coffins socks
    1pr Surly socks

Thats all so far 🙂

I can really reccomend the Chocolate Fish stuff as its top quality and pretty cheap.

SSP

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i think it has a great throughput of moisture when put in a good layering system, it does stay wet if not in direct contact with body heat though

Inzane
    Free Member

For those nay sayers tests have shown merino wool next to the skin out performs any man made fibers in hot or cold weather.

I find it fantastic and use merino a lot in the outdoors.

richcc
    Free Member

Anyone got any pics of the Spot Brand Merino tops – interested in them but can’t find pics

dasnut
    Free Member

I bought 2 bright green “vail” t-shirts in the howies sale (my invoice says 14th January 2009)
    I haven’t washed either one yet.
    beat it.

I also once wore one of the vail t-shirts with “howies” written across the front everyday for 2 weeks without washing it, it still had loads to go, but my work “collegues” started to notice.

the thing that breaks em is deodorant because it clogs the fibres….

crikey
    Free Member

For those nay sayers tests have shown merino wool next to the skin out performs any man made fibers in hot or cold weather.

Which tests?

Out performs in what way?

It gets wetter and stays wetter when I bike in it. Man-made stuff doesn’t get as wet and doesn’t stay as wet, and, given that the point of a base layer is to wick sweat away, it would seem that, to me at least, merino is not as good as it is made out to be.

dasnut
    Free Member

crikey,

outperforms as is doesn’t need washing as much.

your poxy man made fibres are destroying the planet, baby

dasnut
    Free Member

hey crikey have you actually used merino or are you pontificating your views with no basis in fact?

I bet your man made stuff really stinks! Kind of like your forum posts, but stinking in a different kind of way.

crikey
    Free Member

I bet your man made stuff really stinks! Kind of like your forum posts, but stinking in a different kind of way.

I’m pretty sure it’s past your bedtime, but yes, I’ve used it. That’s how I know that it performs less well than the man-made stuff I use.
    No, my man-made stuff doesn’t stink; as I said above, I wash it, like your mummy does to your clothes.

dasnut
    Free Member

and therefore lies your downfall sir.

note my washing statistics above.

also please state the definition of your

performs less well than the man-made stuff I use.

crikey has an opinion, therefore it must be truth. The end.

TimP
    Free Member

It may be “wetter”, but I find it warmer when wet, and that is what I use my base layers for (don’t know if that is the correct use of a base layer). I tend to just use a 100 weight fleece and a merino wool top unless it is frosty or peeing it down

crikey
    Free Member

Dasnut, stop being a cock.

dasnut
    Free Member

yeah well that solves the man made vs merino once and for all

dasnut stops being a cock, manmade wins. bingo.

I have used a merino base layer for around 5 years or so, thats winter and summer, and the thing is it keeps your temperature constant. So 30 degrees alps or minus 5 holmfirth temperature your core temp stays about the same. Man made just doesn’t do that. In my experience anyway.

Crag
    Free Member

I’ve got some man made merino seal skinz and their crap.

Don’t know whether its the natural wool element or the man made synthetic fibres.

the debate continues…………..

dasnut
    Free Member

its a good point crag – does the man made sealskin “plastic bag” effect have a detrimental effect on the performance of the closely knitted merino sub structure.

I, for one, would like to know.

crikey
    Free Member

So our experience differs, that’s all you needed to say instead of acting like a kid.

jad
    Free Member

🙄

epicyclo

I have gradually gone back to wool. Merino baselayers and rough wool top. Even gloves.

I regularly saw temps down to -15 on the mountains this winter dressed like this.

Rode the StrathPuffer this year solo like that. We had a bit of weather. My temperature regulation was much better than previous years. Only felt chilled after I broke my rib.

djglover
    Free Member

I have to say that merino (howies) under goretex xcr is the best layering I’ve worn. seem to be sweatier and end up wetter if I wear manmade base layer.

Cost me a fair amount but hey, I’m worth it

nickc

it still had loads to go, but my work “collegues” started to notice.

So you’re saying it started to smell, then?

I’m with crikey on this, merino,(for me at least) gets wet and stays like that in a way that my (non smelly) Helly Hansens don’t, and as I have a factory HH outlet that sells bases at a tenner, down the road, it’s a no-brainer.

dasnut
    Free Member

no, they noticed I had the same t-shirt on for 2 weeks.

as you say, its a “no-brainer”

nickc

So, in reality, you’re saying the only real advantage of merino is that it doesn’t smell if you wear it for extended periods…Seeing as I live in the 21st century and have access to all sorts of cunning labour saving devices that wash my clothes for me whilst i do other, more interesting things, dosn’t really seem like a performance edge worth paying 4 times what I can pay for other, less woolly materials…

I’m yet to be convinced.

If you’d have said that wearing merino transforms the wearer into a superhero of almost mythical riding, and girl attracting skill*, then maybe I would have paid more attention

*notwithstanding mrmichaelwright’s obvious charms 🙂

Inzane
    Free Member

1. Warmth: With many crimps per inch, wool forms a countless number of almost microscopic air pockets in between individual fibers. While the overall fabric is breathable, these miniscule pockets trap body-warmed (“dead”) air. As with sleeping-bag insulation, trapped air keeps a person warm.

What about damp conditions? A property unique to wool is its ability to release small amounts of heat as it absorbs water. This effect is known by the arcane term “heat of sorption.” Energy, in the form of small amounts of heat, is produced through the work of moisture-absorption (and condensation) by wool fibers.

Interestingly, as noted in the next section, this effect is reversed as the fiber dries. Thus by absorbing and releasing controlled amounts of moisture and heat, merino wool buffers the body’s microclimate in changing environmental conditions. This leads to manufacturer assertions that merino wool delivers “natural air conditioning” —a lofty claim, yet one that seems to have merit.

2. But not too much warmth (in other words, temperature control in changing conditions): Everyone associates wool with warmth. But can it really give a person the best of both worlds, providing comfort in both warm and cool conditions?

So it appears. (After all, sheep manage pretty well in warm weather, perhaps a survival attribute developed over centuries.) But wouldn’t the body-warmed trapped air, which warms me when it’s cool, cause me to overheat when it’s hot? No, wool proponents tell me, because wool tends to work like an insulated mug:

Wool fibers, while highly breathable, buffer skin from air heated by the sun the same way they can trap warmed air and keep it close to skin in cool conditions.
    By efficiently managing the humid microclimate created between skin and clothing (see details in the Moisture Management section below), wool keeps skin regulated for comfort in hot conditions.
    Based on my anecdotal experience, I can’t argue with those assessments.

3. Moisture management: Wool has the capacity to both absorb perspiration (in vapor form) while also resisting water (in a liquid state such as light rain). Admittedly, this is another of those you-can-have-it-both-ways claims that sounds too good to be true, but wool proponents insist they have the science to back it up.

While the exterior layer of a wool fiber is hydrophobic (water-resistant, that is; see next section for an explanation), its inner layer, its cortex, is hydrophilic (water-loving). The cortex can absorb about to one-third of its weight in moisture (estimates range from 27% to 36%), typically without feeling damp. It may, however, feel a few grams heavier in this condition.

On a perspiring person, in the high-humidity zone between fabric and skin, sweat in the form of vapor is absorbed by the wool fiber’s cortex. Meanwhile, the hydrophobic exterior layer of the fiber next to your skin minimizes the chance that wet fabric will come in contact with your skin.

The moisture absorbed inside the cortex? It is impacted by air and sunlight on the outside of the garment. By being exposed to a lower-humidity zone, moisture is released through evaporation, and the fabric feels drier. The wearer thus feels comfortable.

Synthetic fabrics “wick” moisture by transporting it through very narrow air spaces between hydrophobic (water-avoiding) fibers. This requires sweat vapor to condense before it is moved through the fabric—an extra step, wool proponents assert, that makes synthetics slower than wool’s moisture-management process.

4. Water-resistance: The scaly exterior layer of a wool fiber is called the cuticle and is overlaid with the epicuticle, itself coated with lanolin, a waxy, water-shedding film. The epicuticle and its waxy coating is what confers wool’s resistance to mist and light rain. This structure also helps make the fiber resistant to stains, mildew and mold.

Inzane
    Free Member

Crikey you were asking which tests… have a read of this

http://www.merinoinc.co.nz/Reports/Functional%20Fabrics%20research%20report.pdf

Might not work as well for you… sure as shit works way better than man made for me. Each to their own!!

crikey
    Free Member

This information comes from a three-year project managed by The New Zealand Merino Company (NZM). The project was jointly funded by Merino Inc and Technology New Zealand, with in-kind support from NZM and Designer Textiles International (DTI).

And the research suggests Merino is best. Amazing…

Doesn’t work for me, tho.

Inzane
    Free Member

Yes Crikey. Just because the research was funded by people who have something to gain from the positive results does not mean that it was not a scientific test.

Gee, all those drugs out there that help people out every day. The research was funded by drug companies. Oh No!! Their research must be wrong too and actually those drugs dont work!!

The study was done through a respectable University and would have been done scientifically. Shall I try and google up some better papers with better references for you to read?? I dont think it would ever get you to change your mind so I aint going to waste my time.

crikey
    Free Member

I’ve mentioned my own personal experiences with merino, it doesn’t work as well for me, so drag up whatever you want, but it won’t make it work for me.
    Sorry.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

reading this in Oz being a Merino addict here might mean a different thing, there are millions of the f’kers out there in every field munching on bugger all

househusband

…in Oz being a Merino addict here might mean a different thing…

Are merino sheep any prettier than your average sheep..?

BadlyWiredDog

Merino works differently from synthetics. It holds moisture within its structure and away from your skin which makes it comfortable whereas synthetics tend to wick it outwards. If you’re hot running and sweaty, you’ll tend to produce more moisture than merino can cope with at times and it gets wet and takes longer to dry, though it’s still relatively comfortable when damp and slightly exothermic too.

The non-pong thing is great on multi-day treks etc. Feels nice against the skin in hot conditions too.

It just depends on your personal physiology. If you sweat loads, a good, wicking synthetic will arguably work better, if you don’t merino is lovely.

No right or wrong clothing, just what works for you. And it may be that merino works well for you for some activities – winter walking for me for example – but not for others, wamer conditions mountain biking in my case again.

Hope that makes some sort of sense and Icebreaker is rather nice, yes. Good compromise is something like Sportwool which combines merino and polyester in a single fabric.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Hi – My name is Mike and I’m a Merino-aholic’ is closed to new replies.