Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Hi Fi Seperate Amps
  • sparkywalts
    Free Member

My beloved amp has finally packed up. 🙁

Does anyone know if i would be able to use an av reciever as an amp or would i need to get an amp with it?

Cheers

matthew_h
    Free Member

AV receivers include the amp too so you’d be fine.

marcus7
    Free Member

Yup, my yamaha runs all me stuff although im sure those that know would say that you should run an amp separately….

geoffj

A receiver is an amp + tuner. You don’t need a separate amp. Some HiFi snobs use pre-amps, but they wouldn’t be using a pre-amp with a receiver.

Hairychested
    Free Member

A Marantz receiver for 500 quid plays stereo worse than a dedicated amp costing 200 quid. Buy my mate’s amp – Marantz PM66SE (black) and be happy 😉
    I’ll put you in touch, email me if interested.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Providing it’s not just an AV processor (i.e no speaker sockets on the back) you should be fine. You may well be better off buying a cheap second hand amp though, depending on how good your receiver is. There are a lot of compromises inside the box of an AV receiver, mostly due to the sheer amount of electronics required vs. space and cost.

Out of interest, what is your amp, and what’s wrong with it? I test and repair hi-fi for a living, so might be able to help you out.

sparkywalts
    Free Member

it is a marrantz pm-57.

It is an amazing amp and i love it to bits but it just wont turn on, before it died it keep switching the sound off then would come back on.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Had a quick look at the service manual, can forward it to you if you have someone local who could take a look. Sound cutting in and out could well be the protection circuit kicking in. Often the O/P devices go in older amps. There are a couple of T500ma fuses into the PSU which would explain no display etc. if they’ve blown. Could be a shorted cap causing this, that’s also fairly common. Tricky to diagnose over the net, on a circuit I’ve never seen before! Will have a think and a chat with people more knowledgable than I tomorrow. Hairychesteds offer could be a good one though…

sparkywalts
    Free Member

I dont understand any of that at all but thanks.

Hairychested do you know how much your mate was after?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Hi Fi Seperate Amps’ is closed to new replies.