Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • hi-fi separates – whats this little lot worth?
  • sadexpunk

right. im looking at 'tidying up' my music and tv system. dont really know whats out there, but id like something that i can just plug my ipod into, play cd's too, digital radio, real good quality sound and powerful too. whether thats linked to telly or not i dont mind.

to fund it…….id need to find out what this lots worth. my parents left it for me when they emigrated, but i dont really use it as much as i should. i think id use a more modern set up with ipod dock, digital radio etc now.

hifi was my dads hobby so i think all this is good quality stuff, but quite old now, even tho its all in really good condition.

anyone care to express an opinion on what id be likely to get for it all?

turntable – Thorens TD160B Mk2

Amp – Arcam Delta 290

CD Player – Yamaha CDX-396

Tuner – TU-260L

Speakers – Mordaunt Short MS Series MS50 Loudspeaker (i think thats the model, but theyre waist high and stand on pins to stop vibration i think)

i know he said the turntable had a real good stylus on it, or pick up or whatever it is. its got ortofon MC-1 Turbo written on it, and anti skate at the back.

theres various other bits and bobs in a box, such as an 'SME Model 3009 series 2 improved' stylus head thing :-), and a Lentek moving coil cartridge pre-amp.

would there be any interest still for this sort of kit? and where would be my best bet for selling it? ebay?

thanks

Hadge
    Free Member

Best bet is check all the kit out on fleabay. The turntable and arm could be split and should fetch reasonable money especially if they are in good nick. I would watch the same items you have and that will give you a good idea regarding their value. If you have boxes for the stuff even better.

lodious
    Free Member

Dunno how much you would get for it (£300+ maybe?), but you could try selling on Pink Fish Media classifeds, as it's the type of stuff they are into. It will sell on ebay, but if you take paypal (and you have to offer to accept it as a payment!), the fee's are getting pretty steep and the odds are stacked against the seller.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Tricky to say what you'd get for it all really. The record deck, cartridge (stylus thing) and spare arm? are the most valuable bits. You might get £100 – £200 for that, a bit less for the amp and the speakers and £50 or so for the tuner and CD. Maybe 🙂 You might only get a few hundred for the lot.

A Hi Fi forum would be your best bet really, look at somewhere like pink fish media for the vinyl stuff especially. The MC preamp might be worth something.

I would say though, that if you sold all that to buy a poncy i-pod dock with speakers you'll regret it in terms of sound quality.

sadexpunk

hmmmm………..youre maybe right :-/

out of interest, what is a good sound system that would have an ipod dock, digi radio, cd player and good powerful speakers? and how much is it likely to cost?

double what my setups worth you reckon? :-/

MrWoppit
    Free Member

If your pocket's deep enough, look no further… 😯

http://www.naim-audio.com/products/naimuniti.html 😀

sadexpunk

2 grand?? *gulp*

no theyre not that deep ta 🙂

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Keep it in mind for later, eh? I've settled on a CD-based system. i-Pod/MP3 stuff sounds compressed and lifeless to my (arguably ancient) ears.

Good luck with finding your dream box.

sadexpunk

im not set on finding anything really. i thought itd be a good idea. but if it makes more sense to keep as i am and just plug an ipod dock or something into the amp, then ill probably do that 🙂

takes up a fair bit of room tho, and i thought in this day and age theres bound to be something a lot smaller thatll do the same job and more 🙂

cheers

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Here's a question.

I'm currently running an AIWA dv58 surround sound system, running the dvd/tape deck/TV through it.
    I'm not sure if a blu-ray player will connect and if not, can you buy some form of adapter to do this?

zokes
    Free Member

TBH, I'd keep it, and if you must, get an iPod dock…

I'm constantly amazed how much better LPs and even CDs sound through my hifi, compared to the usual MP3s I listen to all day long at work!

sadexpunk

i did as you doods suggested and asked on pink fish.

funnily enough, same advice. keep it and plug in an ipod dock 🙂

thanks a lot

zokes
    Free Member

I'm not sure if a blu-ray player will connect and if not, can you buy some form of adapter to do this?

I'm not sure either, but if you can't attach Blu-ray so that the high-def surround sound feeds out of it, you will at least be able to get some form of stereo / dolby downmix that the aiwa can deal with. Won't be as good as a modern surround amp/processor, but much better than sticking it through the telly!

zokes
    Free Member

takes up a fair bit of room tho, and i thought in this day and age theres bound to be something a lot smaller thatll do the same job and more

That's what Bose and Bang & Olfson are for – people who are more worried about what it looks like, as opposed to what it sounds like. You buy ornaments to look at, and hifi to listen to! Keep it that way 😉

muddydwarf
    Free Member

The g/f's PS3 blu-ray player wouldn't run through the Aiwa for whatever reason even though we tried to use the AV feeds.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Sadexpunk, if you want to sell the Arcam Delta 290 I'd be interested (should go well with my Arcam Delta bits and pieces, my current amp is a Delta 60 so a 290 should be an improvement). Let me know if you come up with a price.

sadexpunk

ill bear that in mind dood if i do sell up, but looking like id be silly to from the advice im getting 🙂

unless you wanted to buy the WHOLE LOT for an extortionate fee 😉

bedmaker

Just got one of these for £999.

http://www.myryad.co.uk/Myryad-Mi/info.htm

It's good.

plop_pants
    Free Member

I know what you mean sadexpunk, my Arcam stuff is 25 years old, working fine, so why get rid. Have things improved that much, not sure, but I daren't ask a question like that on here, big can of worms!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘hi-fi separates – whats this little lot worth?’ is closed to new replies.