Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Hi-fi separates advice please
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Got this setup which is quite old, thinking of an upgrade as I think the sound is too laid back for my taste (mainly rock) – thinking speakers and/or cd player should go first?

Arcam Alpha 8SE CD
    Arcam Alpha 8 amp/power amp combo
    Tannoy MX2 bi-amped speakers

Hadge
    Free Member

Speakers first for sure and as you didn't state a budget you couldn't go far wrong with something like the latest little Wharfedale Diamonds.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Thanks Paul not looking to spend a fortune so will investigate those

MrNutt
    Free Member

do you need an atacama rack and stands for it?

mboy
    Free Member

Speakers for sure

The Arcam amp and CD player, though not exactly new, were very good kit for their time.

Like Hadge says, the latest Wharfedale Diamonds are very highly rated…

Or a pair of B&W 685's would be rather nice for a bit more money…

saladdodger
    Free Member

best upgrade for yer buck

Get your ears syringed

Honest

epicsteve
    Free Member

The Arcam amp and CD player, though not exactly new, were very good kit for their time.

Good kit, but tending towards a smooth sound (I've had a few Arcam CD players and amps over the years). A livlier source would help (Naim CD player for example) but I'd agree that looking at speakers first would be the best bet.

GJP
    Free Member

James – I am looking to sell my sell some of my NAIM Olive kit in the near future. I have a NAIM CD3.5 CD player if s/h is of any interest. As EpicSteve says NAIM will sound very different to the warm, laid back presentation of Arcam kit. Gary

saladdodger
    Free Member

TBH I like laid back kit, it is there to listen to as opposed to the sound being thrown at you

I just find it easyer on the ear

mind you I use a valve output CD player, valve amp and horn loaded speakers backed up with a Rel sub

As a bonus valves help warm my house 🙂

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Hi Gary maybe let me know how much please

epicsteve
    Free Member

What valve amp do you use? Got an Audio Note OTO myself, although I've not used it for a while (really needs a service). Sounds lovely with little Triangle Titus speakers and a Micromega CD although totally different from my main Naim system.

zokes
    Free Member

As someone up there sad, first should would be decent stands and rack, and make sure the speakers are away from the wall…

saladdodger
    Free Member

Ming Da same as te Icon audio EL34 and a Shanling CD player

easy listening

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Hi-fi separates advice please’ is closed to new replies.