Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Hi-fi repairs in Manchester
  • piemann
    Free Member

I have two hi-fi amplifiers (one Wharfedale and one Nad), that need fixing. Can anyone recommend a repair shop in/near Manchester?

The Nad amp has a bad speaker channel and the Wharfedale has something wrong with the output selector.

Thanks
    Iain

nick1962
    Free Member

In a similar situation myself so interseted if anyone comes up with anywhere.Richer Sounds in Prestwich repaired my Arcam amp for £85.00 after i blew one of the channels.It depends on the value of the amp really as it may well not be cost effective ,sadly.Most places will charge about £20 just to check things out then give you an estimate.There is Wilkinsons in Colne and a guy in Bolton ,Mike Powell I think , who deals with more high end stuff though I haven’t used either and they are not exactly close. I bought an old but decent Kenwood amp off Gumtree for a bargain £20 from a retired electrical engineer in Bradford who did repairs as a hobby. Someone like that local would be ideal.

cheese@4p

Manchester is Low-Fi aaaah

zbonty

A mate who works in Manchester had a colleague take an old Luxman TT/Amp to these people in Nelson and they seemed to show the right level of knowledge/geekery to do the job- https://www.wilkinsons.tv/
    Probably somewhere nearer but i’m daan sarf so can’t help

jairaj

Who ever you go to please don’t use MWES ( http://www.mwes.co.uk).

I had a terrible experience with them a few years ago when I got my Creek Amplifier repaired under warranty with them.

Very poor communication and customer service and the amplifier was returned with big dents, scratches and gauges in the chassis. I eventually got them to replace the chassis but even that was done to such a low standard. I was really not happy about the quality of the workmanship but the amplifier was functional so decided to call it quits as dealing with them was such a bad experience.

piemann
    Free Member

Thanks all. Wilkinson’s seems like a decent suggestion – I’ll give them a ring.

gaze
    Free Member

J W TV & Audio Services In Radcliffe.

This fella fixed my Kef subwoofer a few years back .

ourmaninthenorth

a guy in Bolton ,Mike Powell I think , who deals with more high end stuff though I haven’t used either and they are not exactly close.

I’ve used Mike Powell a couple of times (I live the other side of the M61, so similar travelling distance/time).

Link to Mike’s website – best to phone him.

Cost to re-cap a 20 year old Arcam power amp was c£90 IIRC. Did a decent job. Trouble is the matching integrated now needs to be done….

Otherwise, if you fancy a trip to Liverpool there’s a decent HiFi shop near Aintree called Do Good Audio. Nice people and they’ve sorted a repair for me (like other hifi shops they outsource their repairs).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Hi-fi repairs in Manchester’ is closed to new replies.