Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • hi-fi buffs
  • saladdodger
    Free Member

sorry SFB but not any extension lead but a special one with a inline inverse flux converter connected to a rearward facing foo foo flange submersed in a bucket of weasel poo

nick1c
    Free Member

The rubbish in rubbish out argument was propounded by Linn to sell LP12's – and was a valid one at the time. Now, as bit perfect digital files are available cheaply from a computer/nas, processors/amps/speakers are where the difference is made. I have gone for Meridian kit, all 2nd hand. The cost of 3 active speakers (7 amps, 465 watts rms in total), a processor & a 100w sub was substantially less than the new cost of the processor. The audio source is an airport express. I'm very happy, my neighbors probably less so.
    I don't believe that a similar ammount spent on new kit would come even close in sound quality – so a vote for quality 2nd hand kit here.

PS Linn agree – they are stopping making disc spinners

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

sorry SFB but not any extension lead but a special one with a inline inverse flux converter connected to a rearward facing foo foo flange submersed in a bucket of weasel poo

NOW you're talking! Obviously you have a fine appreciation of sound engineering! Also you said "flange" snigger 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Now, as bit perfect digital files are available cheaply

I was surprised no one responded to my digital speaker idea. Using laser interferometry you could measure speaker cone displacement accurately in real time and use feedback to eliminate the cable reactance/resonance/non linearity etc with effectively a mechanical D/A

Raindog
    Free Member

My observations of the NAIM kit were that with appropriate speakers (Rather than the £6K monsters used fro the demo) in a normal room it would probably be great.

Offboard power supplies make a huge difference, enough to make me want to buy them for my Cyrus kit when cash allows.

Also their HD based system is nowhere near as good as a decent CD player – a point conceded by the chap from NAIM.

SFB, if you have nothing useful to add, why do you bother ? ADD ?

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

[quoteSFB, if you have nothing useful to add, why do you bother ? ADD ?[/quote]

+1

matthewjb
    Free Member

Also their HD based system is nowhere near as good as a decent CD player – a point conceded by the chap from NAIM.

Naim make a few 'decent' CD players as well as their HD system.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

SFB, if you have nothing useful to add, why do you bother ? ADD ?

so a suggestion for bypassing the entire paraphanalia of hifi equipment and all the possible distortions they might entail isn't useful ? Perhaps you just want pretty listening room furniture ?

ojom
    Free Member

music is not bits.

a guitar and piano or voice do not output 1's and 0's, they output a smooth analogue wave.

plus… bits are not all created equal. there is quite a difference between an mp3 file and an SACD or Blu Ray disc.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

music is not bits.

neither is it volts or ridges on plastic…

a guitar and piano or voice do not output 1's and 0's, they output a smooth analogue wave.

smooth is easy, it's the wiggly bits that are the challenge.

there is quite a difference between an mp3 file and an SACD or Blu Ray disc.

MP3s use psychoaccoustically biased compression

traildog
    Free Member

Wow, a degree in electronics. You must know everything!

To the original poster. Don't post on here and ask peoples opinions. They'll just cloud your judgement and make it much more difficult to make up your own mind. You need to listen, using your equipment and your music. Go for the one which you found you enjoyed the music more. Most important thing is to relax and not try and listen for differences etc, just listen to the music…

IanMunro
    Free Member

Simon, I don't think you the laser interferometry to achieve this. Some years ago work started on the crudely conceived idea of a digital audio processing engine that would work to not only supply inverse reactive current for use in unilateral phase detectors, but would also be capable of automatically synchronising cardinal grammeters. Basically, the only new principle involved is that instead of the power being generated by the relaxive motion of conductors and fluxes, it is produced by the modial interactions of magneto- reluctance and capacitive directance.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

When will I be able to buy your device SFB?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Surely the biggest issue with laser interferometry is the decoupled gamma discharge that results from the ionic metacapulam radiation. You could of course mitigate this by reversing the polarity but then you run the risk of ionic flux discharge which would have disastrous consequinces for the puman hopulation not to mention my mother in law.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

When will I be able to buy your device SFB?

I'm surprised it's not already been done, since many seem so concerned about fidelity, unless manufacturers have cynically decided that an open loop, cardboard and coiled wire assembly is good enough for the clotheared majority 🙁

Most important thing is to relax and not try and listen for differences etc, just listen to the music…

sound advice indeed :o)

elliptic
    Free Member

Ian: I thought further work on retro-encabulation had been banned after the second Helsinki incident…?

Anyway, nothing wrong with SFB's idea in principle, essentially just an extended (and rather delicate) Cartesian loop* transmitter architecture.

*Yes, a Cartesian loop is a real thing.

GJP
    Free Member

FWIW I just picked up a very old Naim NAC 42 pre-amp for a song – close on 30 years old but sounds "non too shabby" at the moment and I just love the old chrome bumper retro looks.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

*Yes, a Cartesian loop is a real thing.

"I think therefore I am"
    "I think I am Descartes therefore I am Descartes"
    "I think I am Descartes thinking about who I am therefore …"
    etc

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

nothing wrong with SFB's idea in principle

obviously not – if one were concerned about having the speaker accurately track the original signal regardless of cabling and reactance (and expence), however if it were possible to hear any difference is moot.

Clobber
    Free Member

I may be coming in way beneath your budget but I love my NAD VISO system…

Bimbler
    Free Member

Everybody bangs on about the kit but surely the listening room/space is one of the biggest factors, spending small can reap much bigger rewards than buying better kit lots of good stuff here

And I dare say a decent digital parametric EQ will have more impact than all sorts of hifi snake oil spending plus it's a brilliant dac to boot

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I think therefore I am;
    I'm pink therefore I'm Spam;
    I'm yellow, therefore I'm a banana!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I'm pink therefore I'm Spam;
    I'm yellow, therefore I'm a banana

if both of these are true you also have no dress sense ?

HTTP404
    Free Member

Everything is MP3 these days. why bother?

BigJohn

Sound is not a smooth analogue wave. It is granular at 10 to the minus 43 seconds.

roach

Everything is MP3 these days. why bother?

FLAC?

Blackhound

I have an mp3 player for traveling. What am I listening to now? Linn LP12 / Naim 72/140 and Naim Credo's. MP3 is shite in comparison as it should be for what I paid for my main set up.

I strted with a Naim Nait 2 / Linn Kan II / Lin Axis many years ago and slowly upgraded.

As said at the outset take some familiar music, your speakers if possible and listen, buy the one YOU like. I only listened to Naim as it was on special offer due to styling changes, Kept Nait 2 for nearly 15 years and lost about £50. Replaced with s/h 72/140 and no intention of spending more. Kan's are hard to drive but the little Nait was fine.

Second Naim does hold its price well and all can be repaired if anything goes wrong. Spend what you can afford and enjoy.

Spongebob
    Free Member

As far as my ears are concerned, the only good thing Linn ever made was the Sondek. Their speakers are particularly unimpressive. Some say they are analyical in character, i'd just say thin, bass light and quite unatural, but that's just my opinion. 😉

Sugden A series make a most sumptous almost live natural sound, but refined and controlled. Expensive and need to be partnered well – think efficient speakers. If i am ever loaded enough to afford this and before my ears start filtering out half the sonic spectrum.

Roksan Caspian is a superb amp.

Audiolab 8000s is a close second, but slightly less musical than the Roksan. Quite unlike earlier Audiolab stuff which tended towards being a bit thin and dry, bit like Linn I spose.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Writing about sound is like doing a dance about a smell

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

On another note, my neighbour just had a pair of B&W CM9s delivered… Sonzabeech… 😥

epicsteve
    Free Member

I have an mp3 player for traveling. What am I listening to now? Linn LP12 / Naim 72/140 and Naim Credo's.

That's similar to my set-up: LP12, Naim CD3.5, 32.5/IXO/SNAPS/140×2, active Credo's. Had the set-up for years now but it still sounds great.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I have a nice Clearaudio Champion limited, Lavardin IT and some original sparks.

I have no reason to post this other than willy waving.

Hadge
    Free Member

Ditto – Linn LP12 & OL Silver/NAC62,HICAP,NAP250/Karik CD Numerik DAC/Kans. Yes the Kans are light on bass but the Mk1's are very detailed when driven by a big amp like the NAP250. All old kit but still giving tremendous sound compared to modern stuff and all bought at bargain prices 😀

geetee1972
    Free Member

Oooh a Lavardin IT eh, very nice, very esoteric, definitey one for the cogniscenti!

I have Naim CDX2/XPS/202/200 usual HiCap and NAPSC but the more unusual bit from my system are the speakers, Shahinian Arcs. I would have had the Obelisks as a slightly used pair were also on offer for Arc money, but my 200 couldn't really drive them and I wasn't going to drop another £2.5k on a 250.2

Norton
    Free Member

Try and listen to a DNM pre/power – new would be way out of the budget I guess but you can occasionally pick up some older s/h stuff.

I couldn't imagine using anything else now.

cinnamon_girl

I have a new Rega CD player. My hearing is rubbish due to subjecting my ears to live rock music on a very regular basis, mainly in my yoof. Everything has to be played loud.

Is there anything I can do with my ears to ensure that they will appreciate this fine piece of equipment?

Thank you so much!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

transplant

GJP
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl – Member
    I have a new Rega CD player. My hearing is rubbish due to subjecting my ears to live rock music on a very regular basis, mainly in my yoof. Everything has to be played loud.

Is there anything I can do with my ears to ensure that they will appreciate this fine piece of equipment?

Thank you so much!

Yes, buy a NAIM amplifier for them. 😀

cinnamon_girl

No, it's a serious question! It's all very well having bling equipment but if the basics don't work, what's the point?

Pretty much like having my mid-life crisis bike – I can't ride for toffees so it doesn't make me a better rider although I am having so much fun with it

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Have you been for a hearing test C-g. Could be something simple that could be corrected.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘hi-fi buffs’ is closed to new replies.