Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • hi-fi buffs
  • lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Thinking of treating myself to a new amp for my xmas. Looking at an integrated one and swithering between a Naim Nait, Leema, Moon or Cyrus 8. I'm going for a test listen at the weekend. Mags rate them, but always take that with a pinch of salt.

Any good or bad things about my short list?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Any good or bad things about my short list?

swithering

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

thanks for your insightful input

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

thanks for your insightful input

don't worry you'll get far more tosh than that :o)

doof_doof
    Free Member

I went from a Cyrus to a Nait 5i. The Cyrus always felt underpowered and thin/lean/anaemic to me powering my Dynaudios. Despite being rated at the same output, the Nait is in another class. Loads more punch and control.
    By all means, audition all you can (that's half the fun), but I'd be suprised if you ended up walking out with a Cyrus.

cinnamon_girl

RichPenny to the Forum please 🙂

But he will recommend Naim 😉

Hadge
    Free Member

Your right about the Leema and the Naim XS amps but I would just listen and go by your own judgement. I'm a great fan of the Naim sound but use seperate pre/power amps so can't comment on those that you picked. I guarantee that you will be more than happy with either. Ask if you can do a home demo as well as most good dealers will. That way it's going to give you a more accurate sound than at the dealers shop.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Damn and blast!
    I read that as "high-fives buffs"…I thought it was going to be a thread about neck/head gear! 8)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Ask if you can do a home demo as well as most good dealers will.

that way you'll know they'll be reassuringly expensive…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I read that as "high-fives buffs"…I thought it was going to be a thread about neck/head gear!

that's a point FC, someone on here promised me a free buff from their collection but was just pulling my leg 🙁

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

We need to know about the partnering kit .. speakers? sensitivity? What sort of music do you like? Naim is a fun sound, but a bit coloured/unrealistic for vocal stuff. I loved my sugden a21a but it needs suitable speakers etc…

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

doof that could explain why there's a bunch of cyrus amps on fleabay.

anyway onto buffs, who the **** keeps hiding all mine?

geetee1972
    Free Member

If you're 'going to listen to them' does that mean at the retailers place? If so are you taking your speakers or do they have your speakers there to demo with. The source is less of an issue as it will be a comparative test and you can make a decision between the amps based on whatever source they are using. But the amp has to be able to drive the speakers and more than any other component, there needs to be good synergy between the amp and the speakers.

I'm familiar with all but the Leema and each would be a fine if very different choice, assuming that each can work with your speakers (what are they?).

The Naim and the Cyrus offer upgrade paths via external power supplies. Both the Flatcap from Naim and the PSX-R from Cyrus are comparable in price, but Naim have far more headroom in terms of expansion and upgrades. Most people who start off on a Naim route end up much further down the road than they might have expected.

Whatever you do though, don't listent to either the Naim or the Cyrus with the power supplies in place as it's just going to expand your budget.

The Moon I am less familiar with but have heard it once or twice; more akin to the Cyrus than the Naim.

Take the music you want to listen to; the one you end up turning the volume up highest on is most likely the one you want!

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

DDB- roksan kandy Cd player, linn keosa speakers, project x-pack turntable & musical fidelity phono stage. Music anything really apart from Heavy/Thrash Metal.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Impedance on the Linns is 4 ohms so they're not likely to be an easy load; most speakers will dip lower than their stated impedance at various points of frequency.

The Naim amps have modest stated power ratings but they punch well above their weight because they have so much in reserve; the amps out matters less than the quality and the ability to maintain that output regardless of the resistance the amp is seeing from the speaker.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

i've not been too impressed with the linns to be honest. They have to be positioned exactly – if you know what i mean

Hadge
    Free Member

Sorry to say but the Linn Keosa's are tripe!! They are far and away the worst speaker they've ever made. Ditch them! Get the dealer to recommend some speakers that you could buy at a later date if funds are tight then fleabay the Linn's immediately to make way for the better speakers. I use Linn Kan Mk1's and they are very good little bookshelf speakers although not to some tastes. given a decent amp like my NAP250 and they sing really well. Beauty of them too is they are designed to be used up against a wall. You can pick these up reasonably cheaply on fleabay too. It's a long dark path your treading but have some fun anyway.

GJP
    Free Member

It would be, and is, and probably will always be a NAIM for me. I have had mine for 10 years (olive series).

I listened to a Cyrus a few months ago and thought it was nothing short of awful. Yes perhaps it had not been 'run in' but I couldn't see how that would even start to bridge it short comings. It was just bright, forward and in your face – all the time.

I listened to a Linn Accurate DS, Naim 252 Pre, Naim NAP 300 and some new PMC FACT speakers at the weekend (just to see the DS in action). It was awesome and I can now sort of understand why some people (not me) are prepared to pay £20k plus for a hi-fi.

If you are prepared to pay cyrus 8 money then you could buy the NAIT XS rather than the straight NAIT.
    NAIM

I am in the process of upgrading and I am looking to sell my Naim Pre and Power Amps if s/h is a consideration.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

so you think i would be better off getting different speakers 1st? My current amp a rotel Ra03 pre & power is ok- but maybe it's the speakers that I've never been happy with.

Blower
    Free Member

anyone know owt about Bose compacts any good?

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

i would be interested in s/h gjp , i'll mail you later.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

i would be interested in s/h gjp , i'll mail you later.

Hadge
    Free Member

As I said, those speakers are really not very good I'm sorry to say – just because it says Linn doesn't mean it's guaranteed be good!

saladdodger
    Free Member

Mr ODD BALL here 😉

I have done the solid state amp bit over the years and I am finally happy because I use a valve amp ( rich penny hush!! 😀 )

Have a look at Icon Audio

http://www.iconaudio.co.uk/

Not mere black box's but almost ornaments with a lubberly smooth easy sound.

Mind you I use a cd player with a valve ouput and Horn loud speakers

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

but maybe it's the speakers that I've never been happy with.

here's a clue – the speakers make the sound

saladdodger
    Free Member

simonfbarnes – Member

but maybe it's the speakers that I've never been happy with.

here's a clue – the speakers make the sound

here is anothere clue the speakers only move because of the signal they are given

"garbage in garbage out

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

garbage in garbage out

true as far as it goes, but speakers add ~2% harmonic distortion, resonances and sidelobes…

robdob
    Free Member

Yes, def right there! Garbage in garbage out!

SFB, stick to cameras………

Raindog
    Free Member

I've got a fair bit of Cyrus kit, with Dynaudio speakers and I love it. I went to a NAIM demo at Hoole Hall hotel in Chester a couple of weeks ago with a pal who hasabout 20 grand's worth of their kit, and I have to say that until we got to the £15K system I was far from impressed – although this was probably down to the room we were in and the choice of music being played. Moral of the story is take some music you like, and know well, and rely on your ears more than internet opinions.

saladdodger
    Free Member

although this was probably down to the room we were in

At 15K it should sound good in a shit house sounds like a bad excuse to me (excuse from the manifacturers I bet)

dustytrails

As said by others, take some of your own, that you are familiar with, try to include something with proper instruments, preferably played well. And I don't mean classical – anything will do and take some electro. stuff too if you listen to it.

You decide – everyone's ears are different. And your paying for it.

Naim stuff lasts for years – had my 32.5, hi-cap, 140 for donkey's years, guess it needs a service by now but still sounds good.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

At 15K it should sound good in a shit house

money cannot overcome physics

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

once again sfb your input is greatly appreciatted.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

once again sfb your input is greatly appreciatted.

it seems needed if you think expensive electronics can compensate a Karsie :o) Of course, I labour under the disadvantage of a degree in electronics so my opinions on the matter should rightly be ignored 🙂

saladdodger
    Free Member

OOOOOOOOOOOh the strain of a degree

perhaps in that case you can share your superior knowledge and enlighten us all 🙄

Apart from the fact you do not get sockets in you shithouse to power the stuff anyway

Earl
    Free Member

Dont know much about whats around nowdays but used to be quite keen. Been to the Bristol HiFi show a few times and always been a Naim fan. Heard a 30grand setup from them. Sounded impressive when it was a good 'Naim'recording but horrable when a std cd was played.

What really held me was the Sugden room (as above). Not the most high end but sounded like sunshine and lollypops. They must have been made using 853.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Earl

I agree about the sugden rooms at bristol they did put alot of high end kit (read expensive) to shame

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

sunshine and lollipops- i like that description 🙂

matthewjb
    Free Member

I started with a Nait3 and it's a great little amp.

But a test listen is the only way to decide. Ideally with the speakers you plan to use.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Apart from the fact you do not get sockets in you shithouse to power the stuff anyway

and of course running it off an extension lead would ruin the soundstage ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘hi-fi buffs’ is closed to new replies.