Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Hi-fi advice required
  • chakaping
    Free Member

I've decided I need to get some hi-fi equipment for my office, so I can play all my old vinyl while I'm working.

Unfortunately it seems my parents have dumped the classic '80s Technics stack system I had earmarked for this job, so I'm pondering alternatives.

Need a pair of bookshelf size speakers, a reasonable amp and possibly a CD player too. Thinking about buying some s/h vintage separates on ebay – or maybe one of them micro systems by the likes of Denon – which I could plug a turntable into.

Not really known much about hi-fi since the early 90s, so feel free to give me the benefit of your advice – although take it easy with the jargon.

Cheers!

tootallpaul

Drop me an email- I have a Rotel amp/Marantz Cd player/Mordant Short speakers system I want to sell… Have a tuner as well too.

I think it would fit your bill perfectly.

Paul

Spongebob
    Free Member

Buy anything British and you won't go far wrong.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Got an ARCAM Alpha 6+ amp and a pair of tannoy M20s available £85, collect.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Go to richer sounds and pick up one of their Cambridge Audio Azur amp and cd bundles – they normally throw in some good bookcase speakers and all the cables too.

http://www.richersounds.com/information/hifisystems

System 3 or higher…

tootallpaul

Stacey- YHM.

P

montylikesbeer

2nd richer sounds

Project Genie

stumpy01

Just make sure that whatever amp you get, you go for something that has a phono input on it. I can't remember exactly what it is, but I think that becuase the output from a turntable is so small, it needs to be boosted before the main amp can handle it.

polarisandy
    Free Member

Go on a pair of 1210's, not going to get much work done though.

chakaping
    Free Member

Got a pair of Gemini 1210 copies, not worth buying the real things at this stage in the game!

Digimap
    Free Member

Whilst we're all flogging off 90's hifi I've got a Marantz CD53 which you can have for £35 collected from the peaks.

stevehine

Toxicsoks – I might be interested in those; where 'bouts are you ?

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Just be careful – a lot of modern amps and micro systems don't have proper turntable inputs these days. It's worth asking that (hopefully) obvious question before you buy anything…

montylikesbeer

ohh a Marantz CD53 I have an old CD52 MK2 and it still sounds superb

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

If I was to put my old system back together (very decent Sony separates with Brookland Edition floorstanders), what turntable should I get? (At the time I was just playing CDs so got by with an old Technics 'table but it needs a stylus and was rubbish anyway.

Completely out of the loop, but I guess I would be spending £100/£150 on something…

woody2000

Mike – a Project Genie or Debut will do very nicely.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I think I shall be doing something quite soon – take over the loft room as a hidey-hole from the twins. And turn up the sound to 11.

Mrs.Butcher
    Free Member

yup, Pro-Ject Debut or a Rega P1.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Hi-fi advice required’ is closed to new replies.