Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • He's not guilty – apparently??
  • fifeandy
    Free Member

@aracer, unless you know something specifically about that cycle lane that isn’t shown in the photo i’m not sure how you can claim the road doesn’t narrow after the cycle lane ends. It looks fairly clear to me that it ends at an angle as the bridge starts.
    If the cyclist went straight on as you suggest they’d veer across both carriageways into the police cars.

But anyway, all we actually know about the case is we’ve got:
    A definitely terrible cycle lane
    A probably careless driver
    A possibly careless cyclist

Certainly not enough to point the blame directly at anyone except perhaps whoever created that cycle lane.

aracer
    Free Member

Here’s a slightly better shot https://goo.gl/maps/Fr54WoWELMv – clearly the end of the last bit of line is well to the right of the kerb line after the road narrows, and it is possible to ride in a straight line parallel to the kerb on the road after that – I’d expect cyclists using the lane not to pull out at all after the end of it. The last bit of line may be a foot or so before the end of the narrowing if that, but the narrowing after that is pretty insignificant. A cyclist riding in the cycle lane has already moved into a position where an overtaking vehicle would have to cross well onto the other side of the road before the lane ends.

In any case, there is no onus at all on a cyclist to do anything other than keep riding along when that lane comes to an end. It is always up to the overtaking driver to keep clear, irrespective of road markings.

epicsteve
    Free Member

n any case, there is no onus at all on a cyclist to do anything other than keep riding along when that lane comes to an end.

On the basis that I’d rather be alive than right I’d definitely be doing a lot more than “keep riding along” when I came to the end of a cycle lane like that (not that I’d be in it in the first place!).

aracer
    Free Member

Sure, I agree (I wouldn’t be in the lane either), but we were discussing who is to blame for the collision, and no blame at all can be attributed to the cyclist for doing that, however much sprinter is trying to by misinterpreting the HC.

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘He's not guilty – apparently??’ is closed to new replies.