Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • He's not Fred Dibnah…
  • palmer77
    Free Member

The Ukrainians do it well!

[video]http://youtu.be/VK_sgbeWlRw[/video]

bloodynora
    Free Member

A clip of Fred at work is on youtube titled ‘How to erect a chimney scaffold’…. its of its time but worth noting the lack of health and safety equipment/awareness 😉
    Balls of steel comes to mind

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Re the original (and others, I suppose!) Why on earth wouldn’t you BASE that instead of climbing down?

atlaz
    Free Member

I don’t know. Maybe he doesn’t know how to?

bencooper
    Free Member

BASE would be a quicker way down, definitely not safer.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I’m sometimes tempted to have a climb up a tower crane to try and beat my fears. My theory is that I could do 10m on night one, 20m on night two… 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As if safety is at the forefront of his thoughts!

If you’re willing to take that sort of risk, why on earth not take another?

BASE is pretty safe from that sort of tower, if you know what you’re doing.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

My testicles involuntarily retracted watching those loonies 😳

CountZero

I got to the point where he starts to walk along the spar across the top of the chimney, at which point the little voice inside my head started gibbering nonononononononono and I had to stop. I’ve just eaten my tea, don’t want to lose it. 😳

njee20
    Free Member

Bugger me.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bugger me.

It’s a nice offer, and you’re a fine chap, but no, thanks.

Cougar

Christ. I think the thing for me (as with most solo climbing) is that you can be the best climber in the world but if what you’re holding on to comes away it’s game over.

Love that he sent his mate up first though.

thegreatape
    Free Member

That made my balls feel sick. Not the rest of me, just my balls. Which I have not experienced before.

njee20
    Free Member

It’s a nice offer, and you’re a fine chap, but no, thanks.

C’mon now Flashy, it’s ok, you can be your real self with me!

Gary_C

Seeing as Fred has been mentioned:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R3-YwDZrzg[/video]

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Them Ukrainians! they’re bloody nutters!
    Half the things they were hanging off looked ready to fall down . . .
    Unreal

cotic853
    Free Member

Here’s another ‘not Fred’ this time using a riskier version of the knock out the base technique
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK8Del5f5rg[/video]

garage-dweller

😯 the Alex in Mexico and mental eastern Europeans

chip
    Free Member

Fred would’ve done it with a fag in his mouth
    I’m not taking nothing away from these guys, they’ve clearly got some stones. But I think a lot of it is mind over matter. When I was a youth, I used to do stuff like this (nothing that high), and I was completely fearless. I’d always think – If you painted a four inch wide stripe on the floor, you’d jump around all day on it without ever falling off, so there should be no difference doing it at height (wind factor excluded). Then at some point in my 20’s, I ‘became scared’. No idea what happened, would be interested to know. But watching stuff like this these days leaves my palms sweating!

I know exactly the day I went from fearless to scared, I was twenty eight and it was the day I broke my back in a motorbike accident.

I was known as a kid for doing ridicules dares and regularly climbed blocks of flats using the down pipe.
    But after my crash I felt fearful if I stood at the foot of a tall building looking up.
    It’s like my subconscious suddenly became aware of my mortality.

I fricken loved fred dibnah, a man who made a TV series where he drove a steam engine from pub to pub stopping to have a pint in every one, and no one said ” fred, that’s eight pints Bruv, step away from the traction engine”

But instead watched as he lit a tab before pulling his greasy rag from his pocket. That is the mark of a real man, keeping a greasy rag in your pocket.

atlaz
    Free Member

Fear is the main factor. Thomas Morgenstern retired from ski jumping recently because of this accident.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65Lhw55dAvg[/video]

He wasn’t seriously hurt and a month after won a team silver in Sochi but even with that he’s so scared of another crash that he’s called it a day.

martinhutch

That chimney demolition is the craziest thing I have seen for some time. 😯

moshimonster
    Free Member

BASE is pretty safe from that sort of tower, if you know what you’re doing.

Maybe, but if you don’t have the kit or the experience it’s a non-starter.

moshimonster
    Free Member

The Ukrainians do it well!

Makes the Romanian look like Mr Sensible. This guy is not going to be dying of old age that’s for sure.

I wonder if their blatant lack of risk aversion is linked with their circumstances? I would imagine war can change your perspective on life, death and risk quite considerably.

Anyway serious level of skill involved there. Someone should get him on a bike, I’m sure he’d be up for the RB rampage in no time!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Just what was the guy demolishing the chimney thinking? 😯

njee20
    Free Member

Maybe more professional than it looked then. Perhaps his friend climbed it with ropes?

One assumes so, bit harsh if his mate free climbed it, then the chap in the video did it again with a GoPro on and took all the credit!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Love it.
    But then I do climb big towers for a living.

duckman

Love the redneck demolition company! “She-yit; ah was born on a Sunday!”

moshimonster
    Free Member

Just what was the guy demolishing the chimney thinking?

Nothing I reckon. Nothing at all.

yunki
    Free Member

That chimney demolition was a thing of raw beauty 🙂

chip
    Free Member

That’s the way to do it.
    [video]http://youtu.be/0L1WOnR2KBY[/video]

Northwind

mcmoonter – Member

Just what was the guy demolishing the chimney thinking?

I liked that the exact moment I thought “Yeah, that’s definitely going to collapse straight downwards rather than topple”, was the exact moment it did. Minus points for the cameraman though.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

[/url]

This is the safe way to do it.

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘He's not Fred Dibnah…’ is closed to new replies.