Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • He's not Fred Dibnah…
  • bencooper
    Free Member

Climbing a chimney in Romania:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLp5hlyrtnE&feature=youtu.be&app=desktop[/video]

😯

wwaswas

Don’t watch full screen on a big monitor unless you’re holding onto your desk.

BoardinBob

Nope, nope, nope, nope.

Aaaargh!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mcmoonter
    Free Member

That was scarier than watching Dr Who from behind the couch when I was six. 😯

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

That gives me the willies, wouldn’t catch me up there!!

moshimonster
    Free Member

Guess he doesn’t suffer from either vertigo or common sense!

redthunder
    Free Member

Bit queasy now 🙁

donald
    Free Member

Sweaty palms here.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

love it, especially the bit where he starts pulling the cable to check it’s not going to snap, when he’s already so high up that if it did he’d be dead anyway 😯

lowey

I feel dizzy.

bruneep

indeed

senorj

I now feel a little sick.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Fred would’ve done it with a fag in his mouth 🙂

I’m not taking nothing away from these guys, they’ve clearly got some stones. But I think a lot of it is mind over matter. When I was a youth, I used to do stuff like this (nothing that high), and I was completely fearless. I’d always think – If you painted a four inch wide stripe on the floor, you’d jump around all day on it without ever falling off, so there should be no difference doing it at height (wind factor excluded). Then at some point in my 20’s, I ‘became scared’. No idea what happened, would be interested to know. But watching stuff like this these days leaves my palms sweating!

epicsteve
    Free Member

That is impressive but insane.

grenosteve
    Free Member

Very scary….

Reminds me of Metro 2033.

P-Jay
    Free Member

They might meet him very soon!

bencooper
    Free Member

Then at some point in my 20’s, I ‘became scared’. No idea what happened, would be interested to know.

For me, it was having a kid. I’ve climbed lots of silly stuff, been one step away from a very long drop numerous times, but wouldn’t consider doing that kind of thing any more now I have responsibilities.

leffeboy

that was horrible. I think the problem was that he didn’t seem confident, rather he was able to put the fear behind him. I may have nightmares about that now

atlaz
    Free Member

Places a lot of confidence in old soviet era engineering doesn’t he?

flip
    Free Member

Great stuff, but how did he know the iron work was safe?

midlifecrashes

I’m not watching that, I know it’ll ruin my afternoon. How times have changed though, they used to do this sort of stuff for kids TV.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrnuhrqVN1M[/video]

bencooper
    Free Member

Great stuff, but how did he know the iron work was safe?

He didn’t. I’ve put my foot through rusty mesh walkways before. That certainly gets your attention.

jambourgie
    Free Member

For me, it was having a kid. I’ve climbed lots of silly stuff, been one step away from a very long drop numerous times, but wouldn’t consider doing that kind of thing any more now I have responsibilities.

That makes sense Ben. Not sure I can use that excuse though – being sprogless. Maybe it’s just a case of becoming less stupid 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

Yes, a creeping sense of your own mortality 😉

tazzymtb

Many moons ago I used to do stuff similar to that as part of my job. Overhanging wooden steeplejack ladders held with ropes tied to wooden pegs, knocked into big brick chimneys was always “fun”

racefaceec90

YAWN! 😉

jambourgie
    Free Member

tazzymtb – Member
    Many moons ago I used to do stuff similar to that as part of my job. Overhanging wooden steeplejack ladders held with ropes tied to wooden pegs, knocked into big brick chimneys was always “fun”

You are the ghost of Fred Dibnah AICM£5

moshimonster
    Free Member

If you painted a four inch wide stripe on the floor, you’d jump around all day on it without ever falling off, so there should be no difference doing it at height

The vertigo would get me for sure. I simply wouldn’t be able to balance at any significant height off the ground.

I think the most dangerous part of all that was his absolute trust in that cable at the beginning. Probably the difference between what the likes of Fred D did every working day and this.

Harris
    Free Member

This scares me more.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phl82D57P58[/video]

matt_outandabout

Some more of Alex…
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leCAy1v1fnI[/video]

bencooper
    Free Member

Alex Honnold must have something missing in his brain – simply astounding what he does.

Climbing the cable was definitely the sketchiest bit – everything else is down to his ability, but if that cable had decided to snap he’d be dead.

wwaswas

If you painted a four inch wide stripe on the floor, you’d jump around all day on it without ever falling off, so there should be no difference doing it at height

I struggle to stay on the pavement. Not a natural athlete biped.

redthunder
    Free Member

I would of been impressed if he Base Jumped off after the climb …. 😉

bencooper
    Free Member

I climbed the Inverkip chimney a couple of times for a mate who was going to jump off it – winds were always too sketchy, then he was killed in Switzerland.

That was easy – internal staircase, only hassle was the full mask becasue it was full of insulation fibres. 1030 steps to the top.

project
    Free Member

In the end credits he thanks his freind for climbing it first to check the strength of the cables and ladders.

Unbelievable

moshimonster
    Free Member

In the end credits he thanks his freind for climbing it first to check the strength of the cables and ladders.

Maybe more professional than it looked then. Perhaps his friend climbed it with ropes?

tazzymtb

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX7p3jfr0mA[/video]

the late dan osman, this always makes my skin tingle, particularity with the dyno when he’s totally away from the rock

welshfarmer

This one always gets my heart a pounding. And these guys are doing it for a living. Note complete lack of safety line at the top, only clipping on to rest. Nutters.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k4Xk1mEwmI[/video]

letmetalktomark

Such sweaty palms! I only watched it on my phone too 😳

Bookmarked for watching again (and the others) on a bigger scream, if I dare.

martinhutch

the late dan osman, this always makes my skin tingle, particularity with the dyno when he’s totally away from the rock

Oi. No Danrolling!

For the correct angle, tilt your monitor approximately 25 degrees to the left. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘He's not Fred Dibnah…’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts