Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Herts riding today
  • rocky-mountain
    Free Member

hi, i am off soon, anyone riding in herts today?

badnewz
    Free Member

hey mate im not going out till later on, but maybe next weekend- im based in hertford usually go upto welwyn mardley woods way.

petrieboy

What's the riding like at mardley woods? Might need to take a look….

jedi

mardley/rabley heath is small but ok. better to link it to sherrards wood etc… too

badnewz
    Free Member

never checked out sherrards woods cheers jedi think i will have a look later today.

jedi

how was it?

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

found quite a good run from the edge of datchworth to bramfield, good fast run for a mile. also a bombhole/pit type thing on the left.

enter off watton road, first left.

jedi

yeah through bramfield woods.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

it seems private land(whatever that means) have you gone off the main fireroad, i saw a small track.

it gets better towards the end…….. shame it runs out.

jedi

herts is full of cheeky trails 😉

jedi

you went from datchworth down fire road, pig wood on the right(bombholes etc) back on fireroad.tons of singletrack left and right off fireroad all the way down to queen hoo road?

Karinofnine

Stop it, you're making me homesick ! (Only joking, great trails on the North Downs where I live now).

jedi

went out last night for 2hr ride from farmers boy, brickendon green. clasic old herts singletrack ride. loads of our old trails are still unridden 🙂

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

yep thats about it( bit better than the dell in hatfield!)will do the singletrack next. i did like the fire road though!

came out on winding shott? tope end of bramfield , short ride to the grandison pub, quick pitstop then off to tewin, via the old garage

what are the landowners like, seems plastered with signs.

s

jedi

last time i was up there was 6weeks ago. was all ok. lewis hamiltons house is looking mahoosive!

whippersnapper
    Free Member

karinofine – my sentiments exactly. Round Datchworth, Bramfield and Mardeley is where I started my mountain biking.

Rocky Mountain the bombhole you mention I think is Back Lane. It's where I have played around on a bike since about 10 years old. In the last couple of months though someone has opened it up to offroaders – it's now a complete mess. Made me want to weep when I saw the mess they'd caused.

My favourite piece of singletrack around there is from Harmer Green to Oaklands, it follows the railway for a bit.

Think I'll be up for a visit soon.

jedi

yeah 20yrs of offroad round here for me 🙂

whippersnapper
    Free Member

anyone off here used to ride with Tarts on Bikes ever?

jedi

i used to race against them 🙂
    in fact my mate paul used to ride with them iirc.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

happy days, who for Jedi?

jedi

marshalls cycles

whippersnapper
    Free Member

of course. Matt (lots of hair – very quick – can't remember surname) used to come out with us quite a lot…

jedi

hart?

whippersnapper
    Free Member

that's the one

jedi

I raced nmatt loads in time trials

whippersnapper
    Free Member

don't tell me you are as quick as he was as well as being blessed with the Jedi skills. That's just scary 😯 Think I'd best come up and get some tips soon…

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

the bomb hole did look pretty rubbish strewn, also gouged out by tyres from bikes.

do you ride harmer green south; did that once and it was good; signs were chalked on the trees to follow,,

i've been riding for 15 years now; getting together a like minded group of dads on sunday mornings; 8-9 am hungover or not. also out riding in the evenings.

any good recomendations for tracks?

s

senorj

I did my commute from Stevenage(bridal way ,off Hertford road)up past Datchworth/Bramfield this weekend.
    On Friday afternoon on the little climb that goes past the Bombholes
    i was nearly knocked off by a road!!! motorbike.
    Came from nowhere like a rocket.
    I've had a little look around for singletrack but when commuting doesn't leave much time for playing.
    Is Mardley woods on the way to Hertfod?(I head SW for the canal)

J.

sofatester
    Free Member

It is possible but will extend your ride quite a bit. Have a look on this map. Just to the west of the A1(M) there is a tiny village called Norton Green. Follow the cycle paths under the motorway too here, after that get yourself to Langley on the B656. From there use your OS Map to navigate to Mardley Heath, which is quite easy to link up with a few lanes and bridleways.

I’m leaving the rest up to you as it’s my summer commute and enjoy having it to myself 😉

Like the rest of us Herts riders just get out there and explore, as there are many more trails than you first realise.

Enjoy 😀

Karinofnine

I used to get back to Hertford by (and I know this is really naughty) going into the lovely little church at Waterford (? or Stapleford). The path follows the river, comes out at Bulls Mill, road for a tiny bit, then back beside the river, comes out at a little housing estate, another tiny bit of road, then left into a watermeadow and out on the Stevenage Road. It's not at all technical, but it is quite quite lovely.

I like the roman road down from Cromer too.

badnewz
    Free Member

what are the landowners like, seems plastered with signs.

Ive never had any problems around Tewin/Datchworth/Harmers Green/Oaklands. Harmers green descent to oaklands, which goes by the railway line mentioned by whippersnapper, thats a footpath but its not that busy and is good fun for e herts.

Also a good descent from harmers green to datchworth (well robbery bottom lane or whatever its called), if you go to the left of the wire fencing there is a fun singletrack that meanders down.

Karin, the church is stapleford, yeah good little trail v secluded on both sides – actually it was you who introduced me to it 🙂

Karinofnine

Oh yes, after the mudfest field from hell!

senorj

sofatester –
    thanks for that ….
    , when i next get a flier I'll explore.
    I may have gotten lost through it recently…just following my compass..
    I deffo came across a cheeky path into a lovely church as Karinofnine described. I got to it from old knebworth following cheeky paths and then i came out at Mardley Hill,after Woolmer green(b197) – Bridleway after railway bridge and then followed my nose.
    I agree though, alot of the lanes and paths are ace.

sofatester
    Free Member

No worries senor j

Enjoy the dusty (apart from the rain this afternoon) trails while they last!

jedi

Used to beat matt time trialing. He had mad mtb skills and he is lovely as a person too

enfht
    Free Member

loads of our old trails are still unridden

Care to give us any clues? They must be well-hidden..

badnewz
    Free Member

Hey all,

I will be hitting the E herts trails this saturday. Let me know if anyone is interested in coming along – probably go upto mardley woods from hertford and loop back through welwyn and broxbourne woods.

jedi

hertford=mardley=broxbourne? wierd

badnewz
    Free Member

Bumping this up.
    Route negotiable Jide.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Herts riding today’ is closed to new replies.