Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Hertfordshire MTB riders – WGC area?
  • waspsnest
    Free Member

Any riders in the WGC area? I seen a sizeable group of fellas eating cake in Wheathamsted last Sunday whilst mashing out a local loop I made. Wouldn’t mind find out about alternative routes if possible – this ones getting a bit boring..

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Pop into one of the many LBS’s, funny you call yourself waspsnest, Marshalls cycles had a MTB group called wasps. I’m not far from you just over in Harpenden, Harpenden cycles have a ride out on I think a tuesday eve, but if you’re just after new routes then just search strava.

Cheers.

vinnyeh

In Harpenden as well. There’s an MTB group here, OTTmountainbike, but I don’t know much about them, other than that they ride on a Sunday morning – it may have been them.

Edit: didn’t know Harpenden Cycles had an off road night- that shop’s changed a lot in the last couple of years, hasn’t it.

waspsnest
    Free Member

Thanks folks, my username is no relation.
    I had a look at the OTT website, I reckon it could have been those guys, the group was fairly large. I’ll register with them and see what’s happening, that’s a big help actually.

Herts is a difficult place, I normally just fling the bike in the car and head to Swinley, but the 2hrs drive means most of my day is gone for what is a relatively small ride.

I run a loop at the moment which is about 27mi, it takes in WGC to Wheathamstead via Ayots, then bridleways via nomansland common to Symondshyde wood, bridleways from there to Brocket Hall, then Lemsford and back to WGC. – bit of a faff but it’s an enjoyable ride and very quiet on a Sunday. I rarely meet anyone else on the whole ride.

If anyone out there has veiwranger routes or info they’d like to share, I’d be very happy indeed.

timmys

Herts is a difficult place, I normally just fling the bike in the car and head to Swinley, but the 2hrs drive means most of my day is gone for what is a relatively small ride.

Not a huge improvement, at about 45 min each way, but I suggest you investigate Woburn Sands.

There’s also Chicksands about 30 min away.

knightsolaire
    Free Member

Have you tried Epping forest? Plenty of riding there and not too far away.

dissonance

The area round Hatfield, Welwyn, Hertford has a surprising amount of riding hidden away. Lots of bridleways and restricted byways of varying quality.
    If you are out by Symondeshyde and Nomansland then riflebutt woods is a nice diversion although best done in quiet time since lots of dog walkers.
    The restricted byway opposite John Bunyon is nice when dry (it does turn into a mini river when wet).
    one recent ride.
    or
    heads out pass welwyn way

Then there is a bunch of stuff if you go between Welwyn and Hertford in the Essendon area.

jim25

I’m about to move to Potters Bar next month. Interested to see if there are any trails around there.
    Normally just end up driving down to peaslake, but some local knowledge would be handy!

soundninjauk

Have you asked the guys over at Kinetic Cycles to see if they’ve got any good local knowledge? The WGC shop is opposite the railway station car park.

chakaping
    Free Member

Jim – you’ll be within riding distance of Broxbourne woods.

It’s not peaslake but has a pretty good trail network, especially when dry.

You’ll also be a couple of junctions from Epping forest on the M25. Some great trails there too.

You’ll ideally want local guides for both. I’d offer but I live 200 miles away now.

StirlingCrispin

A mass of MTBers in Hertford every weekend – hanging out at the coffee shops.

Quite why they need 160mm bikes is beyond me, but they claim they need them for the bridlepaths around Essendon that I used to ride on a touring bike.

This shop will know more
    http://www.bikeactive.com/

StirlingCrispin – born and bred in Hertford.

dissonance

I’m about to move to Potters Bar next month

Potters bar you have the triangle between there, hertford and broxbourne.
    Its where Evans do one of their rides.

Lester
    Free Member

” Quite why they need 160mm bikes is beyond me, but they claim they need them for the bridlepaths around Essendon that I used to ride on a touring bike”

maybe they just use the one bike, for trail centres, alps adventures, welsh mountains, and for pootling around locally. what did they say when you asked them why

maxtorque

I rode my 180mm bike around Stevenage the other week. It was great 😆

Speak to these guys about what’s hidden in the local woods:

Contourcycles

waspsnest
    Free Member

Fair enough fellas, some good info there. I’ve not yet tried Chicksands or Woburn, I’ve read plenty but never headed up there.

I’ve been to Epping forest a couple of times but it seems you really need a veteran (or Trailforks strapped to the cockpit) to find the good stuff.

I met a few humans on the way round today at the Brocket hall area (where you come out of the canyon and have to cross the death-road) but they were pressing on.

Thanks for the responses nonetheless though, nothing beats local knowledge.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Hertfordshire MTB riders – WGC area?’ is closed to new replies.