Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • Herpetoculturist – Show me your snakes
  • dannybgoode

Any fellow snake owners on here? I had a corn snake for years and she died this summer. I have somehow convinced Mrs Danny to let me have a new one. She thought I was popping out for another corn or similar – she wasn’t entirely impressed that I came home with a Central American Boa Constrictor Imperator.

Beautiful snake though – CB15 so still very much only a baby…

dalesjoe
    Free Member

I can’t even put into words how scared I am of snakes! Don’t know how you can hold one like that…?! Fair play though. I once saw a slow worm on the trail out ridding. Scared the life out of me!

hatter

Encountered a few Boas when I was in Belize, stunning creatures, feel amazing to the touch.

dannybgoode

I just loive Boas – their head shape, colouration (not in to the morphs – nature does stunning just fine on its own), the size; big but not silly.

Always wanted one, never thought Mrs Danny would agree (well ok she didn’t per se but she’s come round now I actually have one).

@DJ – what scares you out of interest. Beautiful creatures and if handled correctly most species are very docile.

scruff9252

[video]http://i.imgur.com/MHuW96t.webm[/video]

globalti
    Free Member

Reminds me of the time I went to the zoo in Enugu, in eastern Nigeria. All the animals had been stolen and eaten except a small crocodile that was in a filthy manky pond. When I complained there was nothing to see, they took me with great ceremony to see The Python. Very secretive and exciting. I was taken to a hut where a big mama was sitting with a plastic laundry basket which she opened… to reveal a tiny python about as big as that. What a let-down!

dalesjoe
    Free Member

Must admit the markings and colours on them are often stunning. I think it’s the eyes that do it, esp the lack of blinking! Always look shifty to me! I once saw a nature documentary or film as a kid with an anaconda…I was too young and always struggled since! I know its completely irrational. I recon I need to try holding one but at this stage I can’t even go into the reptile house at Chester zoo!

Stevet1
    Free Member

Had two garter snakes when I was younger and would have another but haven’t the time at the moment. Got to admit that looks a beaut. What size does he grow too?
    I used to volunteer at a zoo when I was in my teens and one day two of us were asked to clean out the tortoises in the reptile house. Chatting away to my mate I opened the wooden hatch at the back of the enclosure and put my hand in but brought it back fast as **** when I realised I had opened the Indian python enclosure by mistake.
    Still not as funny as the time I made chimp noises behind the same mate after he entered the enclosure after securing them all away… (we were always told that the chimps were the most dangerous animals in the zoo – and I believed them).

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Two normal Royals, A Pearl Burmsee python Normal Het Albino Burm, Albino Boa,Hypo boas male and female Red Tail boa.
    I’ll have put pictures on later.
    Love snakes now. Used to be scared stiff. Such misunderstood animals.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

dannybgoode

Bwfc – is that a true BCC female? she’s a beauty. Would love one of those but their potential size makes a BCC a no go for now. Don’t you just love boa eyes – the way their markings continue through them.

I love the giants but couldn’t see myself ever owning one. I know burms in particular can be pretty laid back but too much snake for me.

A carpet python and a green tree python in the collection and that would do me and maybe a Brazilian Rainbow.

@Stevet1. The Central American Boa constrictor imperator generally stay a bit smaller than the Colombian BCI. Columbians are what you’ll see labelled common boas and reach 6-8 feet for males, 8 maybe 9 feet for females with the odd exception getting a little larger.

The central American ones generally stay below 6 feet even the females and some males may only reach 4 feet or so. Again there will be exceptions.

The true red tail boa constrictor constrictor girls can top 12 feet and the boys over 8.

Be wary of claims of massive boas though. Most snake owners, particularly the Yanks are pretty bad at estimating snake length and generally add a foot or three!

dannybgoode

Oh and Stevet1. Chimps are properly nasty f*****s. They been know to more or less torture Chimps from rival packs (finger nails pulled out, bollocks ripped off, eyes gouged etc).

Yeah, you don’t want to get suck in an enclosure with some pissed off Chimps…

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

She is claimed to be a red tail. But I think she is a cross personally. The shop we got her from were feeding her medium mice when we got her! As a yearling. She is now smashing large rats every fortnight. Guinea pigs sometimes.

Beautiful manners just a bit nervous when picked up.

I said I’d never go bigger than a Royal then we got the boas and now two Burms. The Burms are so placid. Start tap training with your boa early on and you will never have any agressive. The Burms can be a bit hiss in shed. But I’d be pissed if I couldn’t see also.

dannybgoode

Yeah she’s being tap trained from the off and I’m teaching babybgoode (currently age 3 1/2) how to handle her properly from day one also. He’ll be growing up with her so I want him to enjoy owning a snake but also to respect it properly too and understand they are not ‘normal’ pets.

Would I go to burm or retic? Maybe one day but as I say more likely a carpet or a Macklots python.

That, a green tree python this one and maybe something like a gopher snake and I’ll be good. Just got to get them passed Mrs Danny!

roper
    Free Member

What a little beauty. An absolutely stunning snake. Some great colours and marking. I have a royal and possibly a rescue corn snake soon. No recent photos though.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

I wouldn’t recommend a carpet. They are very snappy. See how you get on with a boa. And then try a male Burmese. Not a huge difference size wise between a male burm and female boa.
    Dwarf reticulated pythons get to 8/9 ft max. But your talking £200 for a normal basic morph.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Cb 15 Hypo female. Only 9 week old.

dannybgoode

Jesus – don’t do that to me! I am not a big fan of morphs but she is stunner. You breed her yourself? I am guessing mine isn’t much older but I need to check with the shop I got her from (they bred her in house).

Which BTW if you’re ever in the Sheffield area or are looking for somewhere new to check out I would highly recommend. Snakes and Adders its called and its truly an exceptional reptile shop. Look at some of their videos on f/book and you will see they really do put the animals first. Spotlessly clean and all the enclosures are of really good sizes for the larger snakes they have for sale.

Want a retic – they’ll get you one but they’ll grill you for an hour or two first to make sure you really know what you’re getting in to. Want a lizard but don’t want to splash out on the right heating and thermostat – simple they won’t sell you a lizard.

Don’t think I’d get a burm passed Mrs Danny although I may be tempted to try in a few years once this one has grown some and she is more used to larger snakes. A GTP would come first though.

@roper – get some up to date photos of your Royal posted and the corn if you get it.

dannybgoode

Oh and BWFC – If you fancy something a bit different check out the CA Super Motley toward the bottom of this page – http://www.snakesnaddersonline.co.uk/boas.html

Jet black iridescent BC Imperator..

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Nah Hypo baby was from Warrington pets and Exotics.
    The Albino Kahl and Hypo Adult are from Snakes and Adders. Great shop well worth the two hour drive.
    And I’m after a motley to breed with my female Hypo in a few years. Hypo motleys are stunning.

dannybgoode

So you know them then. I live in Sheffield and hadn’t even heard of them!

Went on the strength of their reviews and the policies they state on the website. No nonsense, no BS…

Gotama
    Free Member

Do snake owners generally favour the constrictors rather than venemous breeds or is it just personal preference? Just curious as its a pet I would never own but notice there aren’t any Cobras, taipans, adders etc mentioned in your collections. Incidentally I’ve no idea if the those mentioned there are suitable for home captivity, it’s just some I’ve heard of.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Yeah just decided have a ride out to them and ended up coming away with the Albino and a viv. Went back for the Hypo a month later.
    Great for boas and Royals.
    Can recommend Reptile room near Blackpool, Viper and vine Prestwich, Reptacular Rochdale.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Gotama – A licence is required for venomous snakes. As stunning as they are I like a snake I can handle. And the big constrictors are quite docile with correct handling. The cats are more aggressive the devious little buggers.
    Been bit twice by snakes. Savaged numerous times by the cats.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

With the bigger snakes just need common sense, don’t handle a frozen rodent then touch your snake. Proper temperatures and humidity, don’t handle in shed as they feel vulnerable. And use a snake hook from early age tap them to let them know it’s not food and then get them out.

The above boas usually just slither out onto your arm though. No need for the hook.

Gotama
    Free Member

Ah ok, probably quite sensible! I just assumed that if you piss off a 10ft boa it’s as likely to squish you as a venemous snake is to bite you, albeit at least with the latter there is an anti venom. *May have seen too many Indiana Jones films here.*

dannybgoode

Definitely too much Indiana Jones. There’s no known human deaths attributable to Boas. There have been a couple reported but the snake was misidentified.

Even the giants rarely kill humans. Trouble is, a bit like sharks, snakes get really bad press and are totally misunderstood.

Boas are generally pretty chilled as are burmese pythons. Reticulated pythons can be a bit tetchy and anacondas (particularly yellow) are pretty defensive (which gets labelled aggressive).

You just have to be sensible as bwfc says. Thing is, shit rarely goes wrong but then there is no such thing as a minor incident with a 15ft+ 100kg snake.

Guy at the snake shop I went to has a friend who’s been keeping retics for 20 years and last year nearly lost a foot because he let his guard down – first time in 20 years and bam.

You just have to never assume your snake is tame. No such thing in the snake world.

The scary thing is you could go online now and have a reticulated python in your house before new years Eve. No questions asked and this imo is the issue.

A good store will make sure you know your shit but there’s plenty of stores that will just make the sale.

There a shop in Sheffield that is advertising ‘cute yellow anacondas’. Yellow anacondas are one of only 4 banned species in the US (some states / counties have specific exclusions on top) and yet this guy who sell you one no questions asked. Just stupid.

They do make great, different, interesting pets but you have to know what you’re getting in to…

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Exactly if you know the risks and respect them they make great exotic pets.
    But same goes for a dog that fluffy lab puppy could snap at you possibly

zippykona

I remember reading one of those day in a life of things in a Sunday supplement. The guy was a snake keeper at the zoo and was attacked by a boa constrictor . He mentioned feeling his ribs break as the snake went about it’s business.
    They ended up chopping the snakes head off with a fire axe.
    I don’t like snakes.
    There was also that South African idiot who wanted to be Steve Irwin. His “dream” was to touch the hood of a king cobra as it reared up. Snake bit him. 😯

dannybgoode

BS on the boa story (not dating you’re bs’ing but it sounds like a misrepresentation on the part of the zoo) . It may have been a big python or an anaconda but not a boa. Not big enough to break ribs.

The green anaconda is (incorrectly) labelled a water boa and that is a more likely.

Yeah, you always get idiots with any ‘exoctic’ animal. Venomous snakes are a competely different ball game…

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

We have a couple of cornsnakes, a couple of peacock geckos and now an 8 week old pup Norwegian Buhund

mrsfry
    Free Member

African Rock Pythons are one the cutest snakes in the world

loddrik
    Free Member

What’s the point? I just don’t get it. They don’t play with you, don’t show affection, you can’t take them for walks. They should be in the wild (or dead).

dannybgoode

@loddrick-you could say that about any pets except dogs and maybe cats. Cats of course are in it for themselves so any affection is to get food and shelter (BTW I love cats precisely because of that).

But hamsters, fish, gerbils, guinea pigs, rabbits etc are all equally pointless as pets – especially fish.

That said I enjoy keeping snakes because I find them fascinating and the boas and particularly the big pythons have a pretty high degree of intelligence and there is some interaction. They certainly know their keepers from strangers and you can hold most of them.

Boas in particular will generally be happy to curl up and chill on you after 5 minutes of checking everything out.

No, they’re not for everyone but they are very misunderstood. Spend time with them though and they can grow on you…

dalesjoe
    Free Member

As someone who is sh*t scared of snakes I’ve found this thread really interesting. I’m not saying I’d ever get one, but I’d be tempted to have a closer look at one and maybe even hold one after reading this thread. As a few of you have said, they seem very miss understood. Mostly by people like me! Singletrack snake therapy!

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Fear of the Unknown I used to be scared stiff of snakes and think of them as slimy and vicious. They are not slimy they feel smooth and soft. They don’t size you up. Bites and deaths occur due to people’s stupidity.
    A miffed snake will hiss at you and try and get away before it bites and even then a tag bite doesn’t hurt.
    A food response bite from a big constrictor may require stitches if it rips your skin but they are caused by idiotic people.

As above the Burms and boas do enjoy attention. I’m greeted every morning by Harry the burn at the glass who then patrols the bedroom before slithering up the bed and resting on my lap.

Hadge
    Free Member

Here’s one of mine – Merauke GTP

This is Dave my 7ft male Common Boa

And Maria, my female Dwarf La Bahia Boa

Pigface
    Free Member

Snakes are brilliant, the way they move when you are holding them is fascinating.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Herpetoculturist – Show me your snakes’ is closed to new replies.