Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Hernia Opp Recovery time?
  • jacob46
    Free Member

Last Friday I had open hernia repair. Thought it was going to be keyhole but no, I had open surgery to get gauze inside to repair.

I normally cycle to work 8 miles each way and cycle in a club of a Sunday. 50 miles is normal.

It’s been 4 days now still very soar and painful. I’m bored and I’m wondering when it will be safe to start pedalling again?

thomthumb
    Free Member

by brother just had this. 2 weeks off work. then 6 weeks light duties.

Onzadog
    Free Member

What sort of hernia?

xc-steve
    Free Member

I had bilateral under keyhole a month or two back. 1 week off work, another week off the bike, 4 weeks after was lining up for a road race…

Just don’t push it, you can tell when its hurting or not… out of curiosity did they shave a patch on your leg? Woke up with a neat rectangle about the size of a4 and can’t for the life of me figure out why unless they were going to operate on my leg then realised I was in for a hernia opp..

jacob46
    Free Member

Inguinal hernia and right hand side totally shaved. 3 inch scar.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I had the same, even the same side. Took about 3 months to get back up to speed.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I was back running five weeks after open inguinal surgery (by running I mean a two mile trot)

MrOvershoot

Just over 5 years ago I had a 2 for the price of one Inguinal hernia & Umbilical hernia done both full slash open jobs with weld mesh or what ever they stuff in them.
    Had a few complication with a big bleed in the Inguinal one & an infection in the Umbilical one.
    First couple of weeks getting up from a chair or out of bed was painful, once up I could walk OK’ish so I just carried on walking as much as I could.
    Tried driving after 2 weeks but didn’t get past the end of our road as I just knew I wasn’t safe!
    Was back at work (unrestricted duties) after 5 weeks and rode a bike (slowly as it was a bit icy) the week after.

The advice on various NHS websites is very contradictory some say don’t lift anything heavier than a kettle for 6 weeks while others say you could dig the garden after a couple of days!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

It’s been 4 days now still very soar and painful.

You’ll be right as rain in another six weeks!

Seriously – it takes time. Had mine done three years ago – a few weeks until gentle exercise, at least six until anything strenuous.

lunge

I had the same and it took 6 ish weeks to be absolutely comfortable again. I could spin gently after 3 weeks or so but any real push didn’t feel good at all.

irelanst
    Free Member

I had my op on the 20th April (Laparoscopic bilateral inguinal). After a few days of Netflix (with no chill) I walked a lot, the dog loved it and I’ve been trying to do some yoga to keep some flexibility. I was signed off work until yesterday – couldn’t face the fact that it would take 2.5hrs by bus to do the 12 miles so rode in steady – it was fine.

Not sure I fancy running yet, the actual hernia area seems fine but I’m still quite tender in sensitive areas that my get bounced around a bit!

verticalclimber
    Free Member

i’ve 2 inguinals, 1st was off bike for nearly 3 months the 2nd 2 weeks. 2 different surgeons

bigmick25
    Free Member

Just to add my experience, just had inguinal hernia repair via laparoscopic technique (keyhole).
    Was off work for 5 days but was on the missus exercise bike for 15 mins (no resistance) on day 3 and went out for a steady flat ride on the MTB on day 10 (which turned into a 38 mile flat lane ride) and no real pain or aches just taking it easy, been building up the intensity and time and all has been fine, just trusting my own body to let me know when enough is enough.
    I think a lot has to do with the surgeon and his skill.

sq225917
    Free Member

I had right side Inguinal open surgery. Two weeks of nowt but walking, then gently back on bike. Always felt a lump in my groin, now it feels like my mesh may have torn.

Waiting for referral for ultrasound etc.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Hernia Opp Recovery time?’ is closed to new replies.