Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Herne Hill to be saved- Yay!
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

The last remaining 1948 Olympic Venue is safe.

Fantastic news, and a real bonus to cycle sport. Well done to all those involved in the campaign to save it. 🙂

Who’s up for a STW Herne Hill track session some time? I think they do taster sessions on Saturdays. I will be giving it a go at some stage soon anyway. Be good to support it’s redevelopment.

scaredypants

wonder if this means they can sneak off, demolish the olympic one and redevelop that site without the irritation of “legacy” 😐

IainGillam
    Free Member

The pic from todays good Friday meet?

Iain

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think the two venues will compliment each other, and could help to encourage future generations of British track stars. The Olympic Velodrome at Stratford is one of the very few bits of Lympic ‘Legacy’ that I think could actually work, that and the swimming centre.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Pox. Missed today’s GF meet, as I was under the impression it weren’t going ahead due to lack of funds to stage it. Bollocks. Well annoyed now. 😡

MrSmith
    Free Member

the good friday meet was moved to manchester, today was a track open day at HH

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Balls. Even more peed-off now. Free taster sessions on their track bikes. 🙁

Ah well.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

The last remaining venue from the 1948 London Olympics has been saved and is going to be resurfaced.

Bollocks though innit?

Bisley was a venue for the shooting in 1908 and 1948, and in still in daily use – so how can Herne Hill be the last remaining venue?

Tweseldown racecourse for the eventing – still extant, Aldershot lido was also used for the ’48 olympics…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Because it’s in it’s original form- the shooting range at Bisley used in 1948 has been altered.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

If you think there have been any changes at Bisley in the last century, then you’ve clearly never visited there – jesus, half the members have been there longer than ’48, and most of the rifles are older than that too 😀

edhornby

elfinsafety is right about the 2 tracks complementing each other, if the Manchester velodrome is anything to go by they’ll have no problems filling the booking slots (is this the point where I make jokes about all the hipster tuuats in london?)

crazy-legs

The Good Friday meet was moved to Manchester this year. It had been rained off the last 2 years and the organiser had made a massive loss – had the same happened this year it would have been a disaster. In any event, the infrastructure at HH is nowhere near capable of hosting an international event like that any more, the grandstand is condemned and unusable, the track surface is OK for taster/club sessions but not for international names/motorpaced racing etc.

Funding is in place for the resurfacing which will happen in the next few months, the rest is up to the Save The Velodrome trust.

It’d be great to see it brought back to its former glory.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah, would be. I’ve met Chis Hoy and a few other Lympians there, tooken some nice photos and had a good time there.

Gutted they had an open day and I missed it. Would’ve bin great fun. 🙁

crazy-legs

Ironic isn’t it – today is probably the best weather Herne Hill has seen on Good Friday in 5 years and they hold the meet at Manchester…

Good Friday is probably one of the best spectator cycling events in the UK. Herne Hill IS Good Friday, Good Friday IS Herne Hill.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’ve bin a few times over the years. Always a fun day out. Was looking forward to this year, but my roadie scum neighbour told me it were cancelled, so I din’t go. For shame.

I’m hoping to do some taster sessions there soon, then hopefully have a go round Manchester if I can sort out a trip up to see Binners this summer. Then maybe get a track bike, pending on if like it or not, join a club and that, then be able to use Stratford once it’s properly open.

Then it’s Brazil 2016….. 8)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Herne Hill to be saved- Yay!’ is closed to new replies.