Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Here's to the doers of the world.
  • Adders

I’m a user and abuser, most people are. Only a few people can turn inspiration into reality, a reality for the rest of us to then use and abuse. People like Tony Lund for instance, interviewed in this month’s issue of Singletrack, who had a vision of turning disused quarries in Lancashire into a play ground for mountain bikes.

Seems obvious now, almost like Lee and Cragg quarry were destined for singletrack loveliness, but of course that is not the case. They weren’t just dropped there by a passing space ship, no, lots of unsung heros have spent years of their lives turning quarries and forests into destinations of delight.

Yes I’m a weekend warrior, yes I’ll turn up at various centres with my mates, use and abuse it then leave, but because of that I don’t want you to think in any way that I take them for granted. I don’t. I appreciate every last berm and carefully placed drop off (except the big ones!). I’ve been mountain biking for 25 years, and this is surely a time of plenty, all thanks to people like Tony.

So, this might just be only a message on a forum, and takes me but a few moments to write, but it’s a heart felt THANKS to everyone that gets involved.

Please pass this on to Tony if you know him.

Right, enough of this prose, where is the next ‘what tyres for…’ thread.

Dino
    Free Member

Yep must admit I am guilty of just riding without any real thought as to who puts the work in.
    A couple of extra qid in for the trail fairies next time

_tom_
    Free Member

Also another user here, sometimes do feel like I should be helping out. When I lived in Leicester I tried to do my bit by picking up litter at Western Park as I rode there most days. Pointless exercise though as the local kids just litter again the next day.

jackal
    Free Member

Well said that man..!

Northwind

There’s an inbetween stage you know… I’m never going to go out and design a new trail, but when someone who can tells me what to hit with a mattock or where to push a barrow, I can do that. Not everyone has the time obviously but if you do, digging oles is pretty rewarding.

Kevevs
    Free Member

isn’t parts of Blaenae Ffestiniog, which is a giant quarry, gonna be turned into a downhilly place? I do feel a bit guilty for riding local trails and not doing some digging when opportuned. I put a quid or 2 in an honesty box, but then I feel like a tourist.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Here's to the doers of the world.’ is closed to new replies.