Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • here's some jazz to start your day(coltraine style!!!)
  • racefaceec90

thought people might like this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NllPZ5_Tw40 awesome stuff.

Spongebob
    Free Member

I like a lot of jazz, but this is sxxt! Jazz is a very diverse genre, so diverse that it's stupid to label it jazz. And as all modern music is derived from it, one couls argue all modern music is jazz.

surfer
    Free Member

I like Coltrane but I find it very intense. Unlike Davis I can only listen to Coltrane a few minutes at a time.

gavinski
    Free Member

I remember hearing this for the first time in a bar and not realising what it was, I'd heard of it but just never got round to listening. it was only at the end when he came back to the riff that i realised what it was – a piece so legendary that I knew what it was without hearing it before – that's kind of a claim to fame as a musician i reckon.

Anyway, he pretty much defined the word cool – therefore it's cool

vinnyeh

Great, but a bit early in the day – somebody like Monk is a bit easier with the morning coffee.
    Love it when they're steaming though.

MrAgreeable

Great stuff, love a nice bit of modal jazz. I have found it a bit hard to get into John Coltrane because he is so deified, but I really like Pharoah Sanders – his tunes are lovely and you can have a good cackle at his album covers while you listen.

racefaceec90

thanks mr agreeable. will have to check him out.i am no expert on jazz,am just starting to get into it. but when i saw that coltraine video on youtube,i was blown away by it!!!

MrAgreeable

Nice one, there's a lot of good stuff to discover and it is an incredibly broad genre. Re Pharoah Sanders, Thembi's actually a good one to start off with, it showcases his gentle side and his goose-strangling side too. Some of his albums are a bit difficult (Black Unity), and his later ones are patchy – the title track of Rejoice is **** amazing though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘here's some jazz to start your day(coltraine style!!!)’ is closed to new replies.