• This topic has 49 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by lerk.
Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Here's one for you..
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

I drive on the M3 quite a bit, I apply a similar sort of logic to that below. I wonder if the avg cameras actually cover the separate right hand lane going North ?

Regarding 50mph limit on the M3

I go off the GPS , so 50 on the GPS is 55 on the car speedo

Add on a futher 10% because everyone knows the cameras have some leeway
    and it means the car speedo shows 60 and the GPS is 53/54

toby1

I’ve seen soooo many people brake for cameras to 60 on a ‘proper’ dual carriageway like the A505. People seem to forget rules like that.

Also, there’s a national stretch into my village, often a follow cars along there at 50, only for them to turn off onto the road towards the village and carve through the 30 at 50 still.

People eh! Oh and rockape, probably best to proof read your post before casting that stone 😉

wanmankylung
    Free Member

There are two types of dual carriageway – restricted and unrestricted. Restricted ones have 70mph signs on them unrestricted ones have NSL ones.

IdleJon

andyl – Member
    And yellow zig-zags. And solid white centre lines. And ASL / “bike boxes”.
    yup, parents parking on the very zig zags that are there to protect their kids

Unfortunately the yellow zigzags at my kids’ school are around the main entrance, the staff entrance, not the three entrances that the kids use. The local community policeman still occasionally stands there telling parents off but ignoring the carnage that’s happening 50m away.

NewRetroTom

Another one that people don’t seem to know.

If a road in a built-up area has street lighting the speed limit is 30 unless there are signs to say otherwise.

nealglover
    Free Member

I’m honestly trying not to be sanctimonious

But I’m amazed that it’s possible to pass your driving test and not know the basics (like a national speed limit sign)

It’s got to be one of the most used road signs out there.

It’s actually quite scary to think that the standard of testing is so low.

Merak

I think it’s less of an indictment of the test today but moreso my shortcomings and loss of knowledge over the last fifteen years.

There are many vagaries to the highway code and the many road signs (most of which Im familair with) Its that passing of time that has left me bereft of knowledge, I hold my hands up, I should know, but that’s why I asked.

It’s that holier than thou attitude that rips my knitting!

I recall during the theory test one of the questions was to name the colour of the cats eyes on a motorway entry/exit I also don’t know that now either.

Rest assured, I feel sufficiently scolded and will spend the rest of the evening cramming. 😉

IdleJon

But I’m amazed that it’s possible to pass your driving test and not know the basics (like a national speed limit sign)

Around here drivers don’t seem to understand what a red light means. 😉

Seriously though, there is no sense to the way people drive.

There’s a short DC near here with many signs on it marking it as 40mph. Despite this you’ll always be stuck at 30, and down to 25mph at the speed camera in the middle stretch. The same drivers then cross the roundabout at the bottom, into the 30mph built up area and accelerate off up to 40.

molgrips
    Free Member

If a road in a built-up area has street lighting the speed limit is 30 unless there are signs to say otherwise.

In fairness, that changed over the years. There used to be a rule about streetlight spacing.

lerk
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

In fairness, that changed over the years. There used to be a rule about streetlight spacing.

Did it??? As long as I’ve known (and that’s longer than I’ve been driving) it’s NSL if there are no signs, unless there are streetlights at regular intervals then it’s 30.
    If it’s anything else then repeaters must be displayed every 200?yds…

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Here's one for you..’ is closed to new replies.