• This topic has 49 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by lerk.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Here's one for you..
  • Merak

Whilst traveling between Stirling and Perth today I happened across the average speed cameras. So whilst I’m sitting at a steady 60/odd there’s folk blasting by at 70+

Also, motorbikes, as those cameras are forward facing couldn’t you steam through at 100+ with no reproach? No chance to record plates etc?

marcus7
    Free Member

They are not just average speed, they are also conventional speed cameras……

dancingfool
    Free Member

its a 70 zone all the way up

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The ones on the A77 are forward facing only, so yes, motorbikes can do as they please.

they are also conventional speed cameras

Not local to me they aren’t. People that are coming on and off the carriageway and only passing one camera drive at daft speeds.

matt_outandabout

It’s a 70 zone all the way.
    I do wonder occasionally if some folk understand ‘average’….

bigG
    Free Member

This might help you,

Merak

Really? There are loads of national speed limit signs on the section, there are no 70 signs at all?

nealglover
    Free Member

Really? There are loads of national speed limit signs on the section, there are no 70 signs at all?

There wouldn’t be would there.

The National Seed limit on a dual carraigeway is 70mph.

GrahamS

The National Speed limit on a dual carriageway is 70mph.

It’s surprising how many people don’t seem to know this.
    Or know what a dual carriageway is.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Ticking along on 9 points here so paranoid on limits.

The top of the M3 has 50mph average speed cameras and so I use cruise control. I am surprised how many people overtake quite a bit faster even though they must go past multiple cameras.

If there is bunched traffic my car has a limit setting, set it like cruise control but stops you exceeding the speed you set which is quite helpful too.

CraigW
    Free Member

Apparently some of the A9 average speed cameras are rear facing, so can record motorbikes.

Rockape63
    Free Member

FFS! 🙄

Merak

Thanks for that ^ bet your a real charmer.

I had no idea the national speed limit on a dual carriageway was 70. I was under the mistaken impression it was 60.

Every days a school day. 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Is there a 70 sign anywhere in the country!? Surely it would always just be a national speed limit sign…

bigbeard
    Free Member

The M74 through Glasgow had some (or used to anyway). I have no idea why and if it means anything different to a national speed limit sign.

(edit: wrong motorway)

warns74
    Free Member

I had no idea the national speed limit on a dual carriageway was 70. I was under the mistaken impression it was 60.

Just out of interest, how long have you been driving and where did you pass your test?

flashpaul
    Free Member

Regarding 50mph limit on the M3

I go off the GPS , so 50 on the GPS is 55 on the car speedo

Add on a futher 10% because everyone knows the cameras have some leeway
    and it means the car speedo shows 60 and the GPS is 53/54

Merak

I passed my test in 2000 (at 24) in Glasgow.

ThePinkster

Is there a 70 sign anywhere in the country!? Surely it would always just be a national speed limit sign…

I’ve seen a few, can’t remember where now but possibly on the A55 & A49.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Regarding 50mph limit on the M3

That 5mph at 50 is a big disparity….its usually more like 2-3 mph at that speed. I normally feel ‘reasonably’ confident to go through the 50mph AS cameras at 55mph if I’m in a hurry, Although I did speed up on the M4 recently seeing the national speed limit sign ahead of me…..only to spot the last camera right next to the sign! 😯 (think I got away with it)

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

There’s always one jockey that has to get this in. GPS is actually pretty terrible at “speed”, why not just go off the speedo instead of desperately trying to be clever. What a knobber.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Took me a while to convince my wife who had been driving for 12 years that dual carriageways are 70, seems quite a common misconception

Re: motorbikes. Yes you are pretty much immune from forward facing cameras

molgrips
    Free Member

Is there a 70 sign anywhere in the country!?

Not sure if I’ve seen a 70 sign, but there are 60 signs on single carriageway roads in a few places, to remind you it’s 60 after coming from a 70 limit.

However – there is in Cardiff a roundabout known as the Magic Roundabout which has a sculpture made from standard road signs, and there is a 70 speed limit sign on there – although it’s cut in half

Rockape63
    Free Member

Took me a while to convince my wife who had been driving for 12 years that dual carriageways are 70, seems quite a common misconception

I’d suggest that is quite a normal situation……Wives don’t tend to know things like that! #ducks#

Likewise, I’ve seen a few, can’t remember where either.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Motorways have them. National speed limits on dual carriageways are different to those on a motorway for some vehicles, buses and some lorries for example, so using the same signs wouldn’t work.

grenosteve
    Free Member

If you have a van then the limit may be 60, depending on how the van is registered…

As for motorbikes, if you went through at over 100 on a regular basis they’d start chasing CCTV and find you. I remember a story on MCN of a guy who went through a camera at 120+ while flipping off the camera. They went to all the peoples homes who had the same bike (model/year/colour) in the area until they found him. I think he was punished quite bad for it…

Northwind

There’s a bunch of 70 signs around Glasgow, I think because they have a lot of sub-70 sections on motorway so they want to make the differences really clear.

For motorbikes, there’s the foot-cover. Because obviously what you should be doing while riding past a speed camera at 100mph, is flailing around with one leg trying to hide your numberplate.

GrahamS

seems quite a common misconception

The other misconception (in my experience) is the belief that a dual carriageway means two lanes. It doesn’t.

It means two carriageways, going in opposite directions, physically separated by a central reservation or barrier. The number of lanes is irrelevant.

This is NOT a dual carriageway:

This IS a dual carriageway:

slowoldman

That must save you a huge amount if time.

wilko1999
    Free Member

^^^ comment and username perfect match 😀

andyl
    Free Member

It is amazing how much of the population with driving licences don’t know basic rules.

Being unaware of what a national speed limit sign means is a big one.

Double yellows and no loading markers are another one.

Spotted a driving instructor sat in the passenger seat of his car waiting for his pupil the other day. Road markings were double yellow + no loading at any time. What hope do we have for his pupils?

GrahamS

Double yellows and no loading markers are another one.

And yellow zig-zags. And solid white centre lines. And ASL / “bike boxes”.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

At least the OP gets in wrong the slow way, unlike most folk that seem to think it’s 80.

Merak

There are some sanctimonious folk about aren’t there! 🙂

Rockape63
    Free Member

There are some sanctimonious folk about aren’t there!

at least no mentioned your/you’re!! 😉

Rockape63
    Free Member

oops double post!

I have to slightly hang my head in shame and say those pics of Graham’s, showing the dual lanes with central double white lines were classified as dual carrigeway, hence 70mph. Makes note to self. 😳

Jerome
    Free Member

Me too until I did a speed awareness course, to be told I should be driving faster at some times..

maccruiskeen

Is there a 70 sign anywhere in the country!?

There used to be one, but these guys nicked it

Rockhopper
    Free Member

According to our local paper they catch an average of 100 cars a day exceeding the 50 limit in the roadworks on the M1 from junction 28 upwards. I use it every day and its amazing how many people zoom past me then stand on the brakes as they go past the cameras then zoom off again.

Re motorbikes – if its an actual camera and not just an ANPR average thing I’m told that they collect the photos of bikes and if they snap you often enough they will take steps to identify the rider. More and more are rear facing now though it seems.

I’ve always worked on 70mph on motorways and dual carriage ways, 60mph elsewhere unless a lower limit is enforced.

andyl
    Free Member

And yellow zig-zags. And solid white centre lines. And ASL / “bike boxes”.

yup, parents parking on the very zig zags that are there to protect their kids 🙄

Also people parking on white zigzags right next to crossings.

People sitting behind a stopped or very slow moving vehicle as they don’t know they are allowed to cross a solid white line in the right circumstances.

Cars driving straight into ASL boxes and motorbikes forcing their way through traffic to get to them, and then most of the time creeping half out the front of them (and cyclists also creeping out of the front).

Add to that people parking too close or right on junctions, people using disabled badges with no common sense and parking in completely inappropriate places and people reversing out of drives onto main roads. I had one recently who did so into the carriageway on the other side of the road as that was the direction he wanted to go, nearly causing a huge pileup.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Here's one for you..’ is closed to new replies.