• This topic has 23 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Solo.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Here's an iDiet question that hasn't been answered (as far as I can see)
  • sc-xc

I have made a couple of attempts at following the diet, but I am the worse kind of vegetarian (fussy, don’t like squashes/courgettes, mushrooms etc).

Normally, I tend to eat whatever the family is eating, but with veggie/Quorn sausages. I happily scoffed away at these, but my weight loss was never anything like the success stories here and with people I know.

I don’t want to get into the usual sneery veggie argument, but looking at the ingredients in Quorn:

Ingredients: Mycoprotein* (32%), Rehydrated Egg White , Rehydrated Textured Wheat Protein, Onion, Flavouring, Partially Hydrogenated Rape, Palm & Palm Kernel Oils, Milk Protein, Tapioca Starch, Gelling Agent: Pectin, Natural Colours : Iron Oxides, *Mushroom protein. Not a GMO.

Would the wheat/milk bits be enough to derail me?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Possibly, but I’d imagine the volume of these in your diet rather than the existence of them in the diet would have greater effect.

I.e if you’re eating 50 of them a day the reason for lack of weight loss probably wouldn’t be that they contained milk and wheat protein, but that you were eating 50 of them a day.

sc-xc

Cheers, I don’t eat many – I was just wondering if the presence of the ingredients upset the science behind the diet…

johnners
    Free Member

I doubt it, it’s not the protein content of wheat that makes it a no-no, it’s the high GI carb. From that list I’d be more worried about the presence of “partly hydrogenated rape” myself, i suppose the tapioca starch may be high GI too.

kayak23

I’m a vege too and have the same issues with Quorn etc. The idave is hard to follow exactly and be a vege and I think to exactly try to would make you ill. You need to ‘bend’ the rules a little I think to ensure you get enough good stuff.

I’ve also recently started really to question whether I should be eating eggs, lets face it, they are not vegetarian reeeeaaally, and I would much rather not eat them. Trouble is, they have been my breakfast ever since trying the idave, but in the last few weeks I’ve gone back to two slices of toast and thats it.

Difficult to do. I have made a few real nice chapatis using Gram flour and thats a godd substitute I reckon.
    Anyway, your average vege is interested and researches what and how to eat more than I’d say your average carnivore does so most folk will come up with a workaround. But as you are a lazy type then it would be interesting to see if someone comes up with any easy alternatives.

thewanderer
    Free Member

I-diet veggie here too.

Also using a lot of Quorn but have definitely been slimming down. But I guess that’s what happens when you stop eating cheese/potatoes/pasta/rice/bread/etc 🙂

I try to avoid soy so I’d be interested in other veggie i-dieters suggestions.

btw this is a regular in our house (with appropriate quorn substitute)

http://www.food.com/recipe/quinoa-salad-with-chicken-and-black-beans-456783

zilog6128

What is the point of Quorn exactly? Is it so veggies can pretend they’re still eating burgers/bacon/whatever? Or is it for people who can’t be bothered to cook properly?

The iDiet (and probably most other healthy diets) promotes fresh ingredients rather than heavily processed rubbish. As suggested above, use quinoa/beans/chickpeas/lentils instead. You can get all your protein requirements there plus they taste great too!

Solo
    Free Member

Why Veggie in the first place ?.

Partially Hydrogenated Rape, Palm and Palm Kernel Oils

None of that reads too well, imo.

thewanderer
    Free Member

Hence I try to avoid using too much quorn and when I do I use the simpler products such as the Chicken Style Pieces – Mycoprotein (87%), rehydrated free range egg white, flavouring

With the steroid/hormones/antibiotics in most meat it’s probably a lot healthier!

Solo
    Free Member

With the steroid/hormones/antibiotics in most meat it’s probably a lot healthier

I’ll take that as an answer.
    Its a fair point.
    Unfortnately, too much badness is fed to animals reared for human consumption.

Whats the deal on Fish for you guys ?.

kayak23

Whats the deal on Fish for you guys ?.

Currently, they are not vegetables… 🙄

What is the point of Quorn exactly?

The way I see it, vegetarians can be lazy too and want something quick and easy that tastes good. Quorn can fill this role in some places.
    Some vegetarians perhaps DO want to replicate the popular meat dishes and so look to things like this so that they can eat meat-style dishes but without the meat.
    Personally, I wouldn’t go near mock-bacon etc, thats just stupid, however, vege burgers and stuff can be great for quick and easy barbeques etc but a flat, round disc of food called a burger, is that shape for convenienece I’d have thought and so whether its meat or vegetable origin is neither here nor there..

Anyway, lets not take the OP’s topic into the usual dead-end arguments about vegetarianism..

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I only eat things I can catch or pick myself… it’s a lot healthier, you know exactly where your food has come from, and it doesn’t half help to make me a right smug git.

thewanderer
    Free Member

Yeah don’t do fish. I dive – I can’t reconcile my enjoyment of seeing aquatic wildlife and then going and eating them.

The saddest thing on my dive trips, seen it Thailand, Egypt and Honduras are the fishing fleets hovering just outside of the marine reserves.

Solo
    Free Member

Currently, they are not vegetables…

Errrr, no, thats right.
    I’m glad you’ve noticed that.
    🙄

Infact it may interest you to consider that most folk consider them to be a source of protien.
    Depending of course on just how Veggie you are.
    😉

EDIT:
    Anyway, lets not take the OP’s topic into the usual dead-end arguments about vegetarianism..
    So don’t be so tetchy about it then.
    Just asking a few Qs was all.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Would you eat the test tube burger?

Teifiterror
    Free Member

How about using whey/pea protein etc to get the protein content you require and the rest of the meal can be a nice veg based affair? Have mixed protein in with sauces and things I have made previously when I have run out of meat, flavourless versions can be found so they dont affect the taste of the meal.

kayak23

Infact it may interest you to consider that most folk consider them to be a source of protien.
    Depending of course on just how Veggie you are.

No it doesn’t. I recognise they are a source of protein but they are not part of a vegetarian diet, period.
    I can’t get my head around folk who claim to be vege and eat fish, they are not.

As the OP said though, it would be great if this thread didn’t go this predictable way.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

What is the point of Quorn exactly?

to increase sales of toilet paper…

philconsequence
    Free Member

The Southern Yeti – Member
    I only eat things I can catch or pick myself… it’s a lot healthier, you know exactly where your food has come from, and it doesn’t half help to make me a right smug git.

STD’s and scabs?

best be topping up with multi-vits young man with a diet that limited.

Solo
    Free Member

As the OP said though, it would be great if this thread didn’t go this predictable way.

Then don’t make it happen.
    You have just admitted there are those who report to be Veggie, but eat fish.
    I was just asking.

As for the Q about the ingredients of your Quorn.
    I’d tend to go with what IanMunro posted.
    If you consumed those ingredients in large enough quantities, then I guess you’d not expect to receive the results the iDiet offers.
    However, of more importance to me, would be the partially hydrogenated oils.
    Also, there is the ethical issue with Palm oil too, I suppose.

ourmaninthenorth

TBH, as I’ve slipped back into iDave (so to speak), I’ve become more vegetarian.

I just eat a wide variety of veg and legumes/pulses with some occasional meat and fish (maybe 2-3 meals a week).

TBH is it really much harder than this (skipping the meat and fish bit), or am I missing something obvious from my diet?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Anyone got a link to the orgional iDave diet plan…

Solo
    Free Member

OMiTN

I don’t fully get your post.
    What you saying ?.

On the Protein thing.
    I aim to be on or around 1g of protein for every lb of lean mass per day.

This meant an increase in meat consumption for me, from what previously went.

Without really noticing it, I had been drawn in a Veggie direction by my Ex, who had all but given up meat, but for a bacon butty.
    Which, accroding to Ringo, is one of the most deadly temptations to a Veggie, ihe.

Solo
    Free Member

Anyone got a link to the orgional iDave diet plan…

I can’t post it, but TrickyDisco has managed it in the past.
    Theres a Google Doc of it out there somewhere.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Here's an iDiet question that hasn't been answered (as far as I can see)’ is closed to new replies.