Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Herbal teas and their ilk (a Lent conundrum)
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Made the decision to give up caffeine for Lent. No particular religious reasons, more I like the challenge every year. So it was caffeine this year – basically coffee, tea and diet coke, all of which I OD on regularly

But herbal teas are so unfulfilling – had blackberry and two mints so far – nice but so unsatisfying. Perhaps some Ginger Pubes* might hit the spot better

(*Rooibos 😉 )

Any other recommendations?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Decaff?

qwerty
    Free Member

Tescos Lemon & Ginger is a current favorite. Celestial Seasons have an awesome range (wild berry zinger is my fave), but alas, no UK importer and they won’t ship direct to the UK 🙁

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Feels like cheating….but good suggestion.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Drink some tea? Lent is for losers…..
    Quitting is easy it takes a proper effort to maintain a proper addiction

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes, lemon and ginger is good (esp as have a cold at the moment)

Always enjoy the odd green tea from my Japan days

gobuchul
    Free Member

Dragonfly Vanilla Rooibos is very nice.

bodgy
    Free Member

Q: Why do Anarchists only drink herbal tea?

A: Because all proper tea is theft.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

😀

flange
    Free Member

I’ve literally just brewed myself a cup of hot water with fresh mint leaves in. Yes, I realise this makes me sound like a right spoon whittler but I can’t stand the herbal teabag stuff, makes me wretch. I’m not abstaining from coffee, but find any more than two cups a day makes me the angriest man in the world so do the mint leaf thing when I’ve had my coffee quota

Cougar

I gave up caffeine a few months ago.

Couldn’t get on with Red Bush, I ended up with regular decaf tea and coffee. I’ve got PG Tips decaf at home and Dowe Egberts coffee. At work they have Tetley decaf, and I think Nescafe decaf. It’s all good apart from the Nescafe which is rank hovis, so I’ve brought my own DE in.

TBH, I can’t tell a vast amount of difference in taste. Especially with the tea, though I have Builder’s Tea which might help.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Flange – that’s Mrs THM favourite option.

Ben_H

I gave up coffee 2 weeks ago and feel great – although haven’t gone caffeine-free, as I still take tea.

The Pukka herbal tea range is fantastic; much better than Twinnings.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Beer wine and whisky contain zero caffeine…

I usually give up caffeine and alcohol for lent and end up drinking lots of hot water (also not fulfilling) largely because the habit of a hot drink actually turned out to be more important than taste (in the office any how)

This year I’ve given up crisps and pork based snack products (well all snacks but the above covers 95% of what i actually eat) i think this lent its going to be rubbish.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Have you considered Protestantism?

We don’t bother with all that Lent mallarkey.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Odd thing is perchy I’m really not religious. It’s just tradition isn’t it? Like eating chocolate at the end of lent or celebrating christmas, or pointing and laughing as someone fails to unclip at traffic lights.

rocketman
    Free Member

Green tea here since about 2007. Normal tea tastes awful – like soot mixed with emulsion paint

vickypea
    Free Member

Turmeric latte 😉

legend
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member

Flange – that’s Mrs THM favourite option.

Without context, this post is brilliant! Is she giving it up for lent or something?

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Peppermint hhmm

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Twinings cranberry and raspberry isn’t too awful. Or just hot water with lemon or lime.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Twinings cranberry and raspberry isn’t too awful. Or just hot water with lemon or lime.

eyestwice
    Free Member

I gave up caffeine from New Year, having been a 12+ cups of proper coffee a day man (that’s software engineering for you).

Having lived in Durban for a stint, I’ve acquired the rooibos taste so I now have that instead of coffee. The green rooibos is particularly easy to drink gallons of on a daily basis. I would say that the vanilla is a bit sweet after more than 2 enormous mugs.

Decaf tea and coffee is a bit ‘meh’ to me. Not a bad substitute but they make me feel like a vegetarian eating meat-free sausages.

Strangely, after years of caffeine abuse I found abstinence had absolutely no effect on my sleep, concentration nor mood.

My wife may disagree with the latter.

alric
    Free Member

Rosehip and hibiscus used to be one of my favourites
    I have some “poor mans ginseng” Jiaogulan if you’d like to try it. It’s vile

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Legend 😀

A few years ago my wife did shock a rather staid dinner party when answering what had she given up for lent – “sex, it’s easier to give up than chocolate,” Given the context, it was a sort of Borat-type moment, with a lot of shocked faces!!!

A gentlemen does not confirm whether she was good for her word or not mind!!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Herbal teas and their ilk (a Lent conundrum)’ is closed to new replies.