Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • henry rollins
  • racefaceec90

did a thread about him on fretboard,but thought i would here also.

have always liked the man tbh.

i know he has been a bit of an arse in the past (but haven’t we all) but he is one person i’d definitely like to meet and chat with about life e.t.c 😀

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJVEbvVDk7s[/video]

ski
    Free Member

Think it was 92 at Reading, he could sing as well

scaled
    Free Member

“if i was a woman these days, i’d be killing ****. my handgun would never cool and my hands would be covered in testicular blood. i would have a horrible reputation with a lot of men because i would be calling them on their weak bullshit left and right.”

After that, I was a fan

gordimhor

TV show used to be good

ski
    Free Member

Here you go…

[video]http://youtu.be/nlPKEScih2E[/video]

He stood out that day, so much energy

mikey3
    Free Member

I guess singing in in the ears of the beholder,he,s no otis redding is he 🙂

ski
    Free Member

Your right, watching that sober, with 20+ years on the clock, makes me wonder why at the time he stood out so much, but he did back then.

mikey3
    Free Member

Fair play ski,time and place means everything,i,ve seen some bands that at the time were amazing but were probably crap(not saying rollins is crap,surfer rosa is as shouthy as I ever got and that is one of the best records ever made,but I digress 🙂

Northwind

I feel like posting the worst rap in music history (Your Number Is One) but I’m a wee bit afraid he might hunt me down. Never quite got the Rollins Band mind (and he had a proper childish diva strop the one time I saw them live) but love the spoken word, he’s got just the right knowing/self-mocking tone for me.

mikey3
    Free Member

I just want to hear Dylan Thomas come to life with dreadlocks singing about the plight of the Carmarthen cockle pickers with random gunshots and gang tattoss,i,m sure that’s a newsnight special,and then the bbc reporter will get runover by a horse and cart and urinated on by a village elder,but I do love my s4c dramas.

TooTall
    Free Member

I’ve met him! We had The Rollins Band and the Beastie Boys touring together. My mate knew Henry’s tour manager and was asked to take Henry weight training before the gig. A very intense bloke but nice. I can recommend ‘Get in the van’ as a spoken word collection by him.

RobHilton
    Free Member

His spoken word tours are ace! Seriously engaging guy.

konabunny
    Free Member

Spoken word stuff is great, his music show is podcasted and he is a good guy. I listen to the Rollins Band once a year.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Bet the guy gets loads of chicks ’cause of his neck.

johndoh
    Free Member

I can only ever think of this when I hear his name…

zippykona

The very worst person to spend a wet weekend with in a caravan.

DezB
    Free Member

He was surprisingly good in Sons Of Anarchy.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Said something very wise once about “always enter a debate aware you may change your mind and have the humility to know you’re wrong”.

Always respected opinions like that.

DezB
    Free Member

“always enter a debate aware you may change your mind and have the humility to know you’re wrong”.

He’s not on STW, is he.

johndoh
    Free Member

He’s not on STW, is he

No, he was banned [cough]TJ[/cough]

nedrapier

His spoken word tours are ace! Seriously engaging guy.

Yup, absolutely. Very interesting guy, very interested in everything. Huge amount of opinions, huge number of stories, none of them boring.

Go see him speak, you won’t regret it. I think there’s at least one full show on youtube, chopped into parts. there’s a Marc Maron interview on WTF which is worth a listen too.

End of the Silence = good.

hatter

Another hand in the air here, like his Black Flag/SOA stuff, not a huge fan of Rollins Band but I have a huge amount of respect for his spoken word material, the self-effacing wonder that he approaches the world with is truly inspiring.

Hope he tours again soon, been a while.

vintagewino
    Free Member

was that reading gig the one where he stopped mid way in the set and started telling the audience that ‘one of you is going to get shot’ etc?

Garry_Lager

Some good stories about Rollins growing up with Ian MacKaye – two hugely influential people who lived a couple of blocks apart in Washington.

http://welcometoflavorcountry.com/2011/06/27/interview-with-ian-mackaye/

and photos of the pair working in an ice-cream shop in DC late 70s:

http://www.govindagallery.com/2012/11/susie-j-horgan-2/

As great as Henry is, I didn’t get the Rollins band at all. Think it’s the band part, not the Rollins part, that’s the problem. Really boring music IMO.

olly2097
    Free Member

I’ve got a black flag tattoo. Got it when I was 17 in a bedroom in a random persons house. No regrets :-/

ski
    Free Member

vintagewino – Member

was that reading gig the one where he stopped mid way in the set and started telling the audience that ‘one of you is going to get shot’ etc?

Yep, thats the one, its at the end of the video I posted, I was about 5 back from the front

😉

kayak23

Seen him do spoken word, and also Jello Biafra.
    Henry was kind of more engaging.
    Had a few of his records when I were a nipper but not listened to owt for a long time.
    Got that documentary lined up to watch later too.
    Ian MacKaye was always very influential to me too.

ski
    Free Member

Kayak, where was that picture taken?

BillOddie

I am a big Henry Rollins fan. Been to see him do his spoken word stuff and like the above find him very interesting and enjoy his take on stuff. I also hugely admire him for the work he did around the West Memphis Three.

Try and get hold of a copy of “Before the Chop” which is a collection of unabrdged magazine columns he did for I think the LA Weekly. Lots of good music stuff in there.

The Shock and Awe DVD is worth a watch too.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘henry rollins’ is closed to new replies.