Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Hemlockists- what rocker do you use?
  • Northwind

Just wondering what people reckon about the 2 rockers… I’ve used the 120mm one in mine for years, and it’s been spot on. Finally decided to try the 150mm one and, well, hmm. I was expecting a bit more difference tbh! Climbs just marginally worse- seems to lose traction quicker on steep/slippy stuff- and lands just a little better but it’s surprisingly similiar…

Think for want of a better reason, I’m going to swap back to 120mm since that’s always been good enough… Anyone find different?

Russell96

I’ve used the 150 rocker I guess for an extended trial period and once I pull my finger out I’ll be going back to the 120. For me I think its that the shock is tuned/optimised for the 120 travel and at 150 it just blows thru the mid-range too quickly. Maybe one of those volume adjust kits would make a difference or just have a pair of shocks each tuned to the leverage ratios of the rockers.

Mugboo

Frames gone now but not forgotten.

I tried both the 100 & 160 on mine with the Pearl, Rp3 & a VanR and came to the conclusion that 100mm was more than enough. I think the design is good enough for it not to matter.

So I’m with the crowd that keep shouting for this kind of bike. Lightish, slack, low, 160 up front, 100 out back.

luket

Mine’s a mk1 so got the 100 & 150. I have left the 150 on for years now but if I had a 120 I could see myself sticking with it.

Got rid of the pearl (went wrong and wasn’t much cop anyway) for an RP23, added spacers to that to take the edge off the too easy bottoming out, then a couple of months ago changed again to DHX coil. The bottom out adjuster on the coil shock is a good addition and I’m loving the change to coil (which I’ve done front and back).

I have a spare 150 rocker actually. If anyone fancied swapping it for a 120?

Luke

flyingmonkeycorps

120, but only ‘cos that’s what it came with and I’ve never got round to picking up a set of 150s. That said, I’ve never felt like I needed more travel, so I’m not really that fussed about changing unless a set come up cheap.

There was a chap at the Exmoor Enduro last week riding the same setup as the chap above (I think) who said the same thing, the 150s seem to work better with a coil shock.

luket

flyingmonkeycorps

There was a chap at the…

That sounds familiar. I think it was the same chap…

Luke

flyingmonkeycorps

I did wonder that! Nice to (virtually) meet you again.

Northwind

Cheers folks… I did run it with a coil at 120mm for a while but I didn’t really like it much, so went back to the RP23.

I think I’ll give it a little longer then swap back and see how that feels, I don’t feel like it’s doing anything wrong as it is, it just doesn’t seem to add much either.

Which, heh, will give me 2 spare 150mm rockers! Handy.

Russell96

Well its convinced me to try a coil shock with the 150 rockers. Loved my 5Spot with the Romic, so I think I’ll give a Van RC a go.

luket

Dunno whether my liking the coil has anything to do with rocker length. Any reason it would?

I’ll probably also have more of a play between air and coil to confirm whether it really makes a difference to me.

luket

Dunno whether my liking the coil has anything to do with rocker length. Any reason it would?

I’ll probably also have more of a play between air and coil to confirm whether it really makes a difference to me. (edit) given how much more the thing weighs….

nuke

Tried the 150mm for the first time this year on an Alps trip…Worked very well with Lyriks up front; certainly felt a difference on a few test rides around the Surrey Hills, felt much plusher, made regular trails feel very smooth and lack the ‘chatter’ of the 120mm. However the 120mm is back on, as are 140mm forks… for the Surrey Hills the front felt too high with the Lyriks and 120mm is fine for the rear plus the added weight was a drag. Run it with a RP23 (Kashima upgrade) and a mid sized air volume spacer.

Still loving my Hemlock…I’m terrible for swapping bikes but haven’t seen anything that has turned my head.

Interesting to read folk fitting a coil shock…for some reason, possibly something I’d read, I didn’t think it was possible although I couldn’t see why. 😕

Northwind

I think some coil shocks have issues with the reservoir clearance under full compression… But my Van RC fitted no bother. Tight but clear.

Mugboo

I know where my Mk1 is, complete with both rockers if anybody wants one. After a run in with a Wolf Ridge i nearly bought it back. Ended up with mega instead.

Defo think that the 160/120 thing is a great idea. It’s surely the FS version of the UK hardtail…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Hemlockists- what rocker do you use?’ is closed to new replies.