Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Helvellyn trails – anyone know this particular one?
  • wl
    Free Member

Sorry I don’t have a map ref or anything, but as you approach the top of Dollywagon Pike from Helvellyn’s summit, just near where the actual Dollywagon proper descent starts, there is a metal pole (I think) and what looks like a trail going off to the right (possibly it’s not even marked on a map, or it might well be footpath). Anyone know it, and whether it’s at all rideable or even worth a look? And where does it come out? Looking for an alternative to Dollywagon itself – don’t mind if it’s sketchy, exposed, techy. Ta.

wl
    Free Member

Anyone?

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

No sure about that one, but there are several steep paths up from Thirlemere alongside gills that you wouldnt want to ride.

Just looked at an OS map, is it the bridleway that runs down to a phone box marked on the map – that looks interesting, but never read anything about it, or even walked up that way

wl
    Free Member

Agent – thanks for this. I’m not sure which one it is – I didn’t know there were several and a friend told me about this one – I’ve done Dollywagon a few times but never noticed it on my way past. I do know there’s a good BW that veers off to the right as you follow the flat approach to Dollywagon from the summit. Steep, then flattens out and drops into some woods before you hit the road alongside Thirlmere. I can never remember it’s name.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

That’s probably the trail I can see on the map. I know why you’re asking, you dont want to waste a 800m climb with a pants descent. I’m next up that way at New Year, not normally rideable then unfortunately. More ice axe territory.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Sticks pass down to Legburthwaite is a great rip in the dry..

I went up via Comb crags.

wl
    Free Member

Done Sticks down to Glenridding, do you mean the other way, Freeride? Do you happen to know the trail I’m on about?

Agent – bang on, don’t want to waste the climb. Up there in a couple of weeks and looking for an alternative to Dollywagon, preferable that leads to the road between Thirlmere and Grasmere so we can then push back up to Grizedale Tarn and do the cracker to Glenridding.

elliptic
    Free Member

This post? It’s an old gatepost from a fence that was there years ago…quite a well known local landmark.

There’s a direct line down from there to the top of Raise Beck overlooking the west end of Grizedale tarn, often used by walkers and runners. It’s not much of a path as such though – just steep tussocky grass straight down the hillside and following an old tumbledown wall lower down.

wl
    Free Member

Elliptic – thanks very much for this – that might well be the one. I’ll forward a link to my friend for confirmation. Sounds as though it might not be such a smart descent – I was hoping for an actual trail really, albeit a challenging one. Ta anyway – you’ve possibly just saved me a fruitless slog!

elliptic
    Free Member

No probs. By the way the descent that agentd mentioned (to the phone box and the 181m spot height on the 1:25000) is the Wythburn path, which is pretty steep and rocky – probably most of it is rideable if you’re good enough (I’ve never tried) but definitely not an easy option to the Dollywagon descent.

Oh and the “push” up Raise Beck from Dunmail is mostly a carry. I’ve been up there more times than I can remember on foot, but only once with the bike 😉

wl
    Free Member

Thanks again, elliptic. Wythburn is the one whose name I’d forgotten – I’ve done it and it’s great if you like that sort of thing (which I do). It’s over pretty quickly though. Steep, with awkwardly placed drainage ditches, then there’s an obvious left-hander (which you can slightly cut using a chute) after which it flattens out before entering the woods. Carried up to Grizedale a few times too, but that descent to Patterdale/Glenridding is always worth the effort.

elliptic
    Free Member

Yep, the Grizedale descent is great value though it’s ages since I’ve been down it actually. This was looking back at sunset on New Years Day 2009… the little white sliver in the sky is the new moon:

wl
    Free Member

Nicely shot.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Yes the other way, ie left at sticks…fast grassy first bit into a tech gulley section then some switchbacks to the valley floor. 8)

stufive
    Free Member

We’re heading up there tomorrow via tongue gyll 🙂

wl
    Free Member

Cheers. Done Sticks that way a long time ago – might be time for a revisit. This time around we’re settling for Wythburn followed by a bit of tarmac and carrying to finish with Grizedale Tarn to Patterdale. Interested in Red Pike (overlooking Buttermere) if anyone knows anything good here. And Ullock Pike – anyone got any tips? Ta.

Sanny
    Free Member

Hi Will

Ullock Pike – there are two descents off the summit down the scree. Both are top fun. The descent itself is easy to follow. I usually then head along tyhe Allerdakle Ramble to the saddle at Carl Side for the steeeeeeep grassy path descent to the village below. Marvellous! 😀

Cheers

wl
    Free Member

Nice one, Sanny – thanks for this. I’ve added it to my ever-expanding list!
    Cheers

Ben_Haworth

wl – the Birk Side BW descent is surprisingly good. Starts off a bit ‘meh’ but then gets rad.

Map link

Pic 1

Pic 2

wl
    Free Member

Cheers, Ben. I’m crap with maps – is this different from the one I call Wythburn? The one I know starts a bit dull on a gravel track, then it gets rougher and pretty steep before flattening out a bit into singletrack which then leads through a gate I think, ending with a fast, rough descent through woods to a car park next to Thirlmere. Ta.

Ben_Haworth

Ah. It is the one you call Wythburn. Sorry!

wl
    Free Member

No worries, Ben – thanks anyway. Top descent that, although it’s a particularly rapid loss of height and all over much too quickly as a result, of course.

Ben_Haworth

Red Pike isn’t that much fun in itself. Kinda featureless scramble/scree-fest iirc. Sometimes worth doing as part of a mahoosive day involving Black Sail, Sty Head etc.

The Fleetwith BW from Honister Slate Mines down to Buttermere is apparently worth doing.

Fleetwith map link

wl
    Free Member

PS – nice pics. Ta for whetting my appetite – I’ll be there again before long.

wl
    Free Member

If it’s the one I think it is (and I’m pretty certain it is) that Fleetwith dh is one of the best in the UK – a total cracker, and a big challenge to genuinely nail it all in one go (there’s a tree near the bottom that’s tricky to get around). Surprised you’ve not ridden it already, Ben. Check it out. It can be incorporated into the 4 passes ride/carry if you park at Seathwaite.

Ben_Haworth

Yeah. It’s just one that’s escaped my notice before now. Have ridden past it a few times too and done the whole of the road Honister Pass instead. D’oh!

Ben_Haworth

p.s. are you Will from Hebden? i’ve just put 2 and 2 together! 🙂

Sanny
    Free Member

Aye, my mate Pete raves about Fleetwith! Given your Verbier honed skills Will, I reckon it’s a pretty serious challenge to nail in a oney!

Ben_Haworth

It is the same Will then. Hello! 🙂

wl
    Free Member

Ayup, Ben – yes, it’s me! I’m always on the lookout for new trails, so I’ve taken to picking brains on here. Hope you’re well.

Sanny – you should check Fleetwith too. It’s not so much crazy steep like Rossett, but it’s a very long rock garden, full of rubble and with some natural steppy bits and a couple of tight squeezes. Needs a bit of momentum and commitment in places, and it’s quite exhausting too, so a breather is good (for me, at least – that’s why I’ll probably never manage it all in one go). Mint descent all round.

Sanny
    Free Member

Sounds ace in a Mr Bojangles kind of way. I’ll keep it for when my new Turner arrives to replace the one I’ve cracked though on second thoughts, the cracked one might be the one to use as it’s still rideable. 😀

wl
    Free Member

Fleetwith might just finish off a cracked Turner! Anyway, once you’ve done it, let me know what you think. Have fun.

SimpleDumbPilot
    Free Member

The descent off St. Sunday Crag to Patterdale is definitely one to add to your list; plenty steep and technical.

[video]http://vimeo.com/43723718[/video]

Be good to meet up again for a Hebbers ride (if you all haven’t been washed away!)
    [PS: I’m James – red t-shirt in the vid – rode with you and ‘Orange’ Dan a few times]

jambalaya
    Free Member

@ben – nice photo’s

@freeride – I decided to take a look at Striding Edge a couple of weeks ago, did so, turned round and had lunch at Red Tarn instead ! It took my mate 45 mins to scramble to summit from where he promptly went down the wrong side as zero viz and didn’t return.

Oooppss

I never made the summit so planning to go back on the bike

stufive
    Free Member

just been up there today via tongue ghyll and dollywaggon pike cracking ride/push/carry 😉
    video of descent from helvellyn here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiC9qktxYzo

freeridenick
    Free Member

Fleetwith is great, loose as a goose…not as tech as Rosset though 😯
    4 passes is the best day out in the country IMO…

Must do Sannys Classic over the western fells soon..
    Also St Sunday, that looks ace.

Jamba, that would have embarassing if they had gone up the hill looking! and his safely tucked up in the pub!

pussywillow
    Free Member

Rossit is good but let down by the bottom half! Red pike t’other way round is good so is nanbield t’other way round!

wl
    Free Member

pussywillow – what’s a good route incorporating Red Pike then? Ta.

wl
    Free Member

Ayup, James (Newton?) – yep, be great to hook up with you and Dan again soon, over in Hebden or elsewhere. I’m in touch with Dan fairly regularly so will get something sorted. Saw your vid a while back – St Sunday’s on my list since then. Hope you’re well.

snowpaul
    Free Member

hi guys,

Fleetwith pike was mostly a walker for me on my 100mm hardtail last winter with a touring rucksack on… I would like to try it again on my 5 spot – the section between dubs hut and before the trail veers right was ridiculous in the wet – the rest was quite sweet… still i reckon its a serious undertaking with a lot of scope for pain…

last weekend I rode greenup edge / lining crag on my flux – that was a challenge…. also did the blea tarn to watendlath trail – that was nice…

I still have rossett pike burned into my memory as ‘ never again ‘ = I love nan bield and helvellyn – still got to do red pike by bike though…

paul

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Helvellyn trails – anyone know this particular one?’ is closed to new replies.