Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Helvellyn this weekend , best route advice
  • stevedoc
    Free Member

So its not that often I get a completely free day, but this weekend ,both the kids are at camp and the wifes working so its biking weekend

If the weather is gash then a good sesh around the peaks is in order BUT fingers crossed it holds then I fancy a trip around Helvellyn ,after having a look at the countless vids and routes , my preferred route is from Paterdale up Dolly and back around sticks pass , has anyone any imput as the lad coming with didn’t fancy the decent down Dolly

TomB

Down sticks good, but up dolly a bit of a slog. I’d go up the zig zags from glenridding to raise (almost rideable!) then carry on up to Helvellyn summit, retrace route back to raise then on to sticks.

butcher

Up Keppel Cove, through the zig-zags as suggested. You can ride most of it. Then back down Stick’s.

andyfb78
    Free Member

Keswick mountain festival this weekend,

It will be busy.

br
    Free Member

the lad coming with didn’t fancy the decent down Dolly

Neither would I, on the brakes all the way.

tbh having done the route you propose, go somewhere else.

postierich
    Free Member

I,m riding Hellvellyn this weekend staying at the YHA we are riding all weekend feel free to join us!

Candodavid
    Free Member

Up to the top from Glenridding via zig zags, over to the Wythburn descent which then brings you down to Raise, good day out

ahsat

^^ As above, Kepple Cove, push up to the summit if you want, back over Raise and down sticks. We did it on our honeymoon 🙂

Keswick mountain festival this weekend, It will be busy.

Thanks for the heads up, we were due to do Skiddaw this weekend!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

For a few more miles and a bit of variation:

Up to Dockray on the road, all the way along the Old Coach Road towards Threlkeld, up to the chapel in St Johns in the Vale and south down bridleway to Sosgill Bridge. down the road to Thirlspot and carry up to Whiteside Bank, west bridleway is rideable in places once you plateau. Helvellyn, Sticks Pass, Bleabank Side and Seldom Seen for one of the best descents in the Lakes. Result.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Cheers for the heads up on the Keswick mountain festival ,I didn’t realise, Postierich thanks for the offer , I may very well take you up on it as local knowledge is lacking

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Helvellyn this weekend , best route advice’ is closed to new replies.