Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Helvellyn route options this weekend
  • dazzydw
    Free Member

Big group gathering in Helvellyn this weekend.
    Recommended routes or options (or actually a way of downselecting from the many options!) for an all dayer.
    Weather will clear up and be acceptable, I am sure of it.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Not sure if this will work..
    I found this #Walking route and thought you’d like it. http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MTE0MzIx Via @ViewRanger..
    This was featured in MBUK..so don’t know why they have classed it as a walking route..
    I haven’t done it this way ..I did the full range years ago and it nearly killed me ..good luck !

bungalistic
    Free Member

I usually park at Genridding and go up Keppel Cove (bridleway) and then follow main track to the top (via Lower Man).

You then have a choice of going back on yourself for a short while, up to Raise then down Sticks Pass to Glenridding.

OR

From the top head over to Dollywagon, descend to Grisedale Tarn then continue down the Grisedale Beck to Patterdale.

Those loops are only about 9-10 miles long. You could extend it by crossing over from Patterdale and do Boredale Hause too. There’s quite a few cheeky options if you look on maps and i’m sure people will recommend some of them but if there’s a big group i’d avoid footpaths as it’s a busy area.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Helvellyn is a bit short of an “all-dayer” if you do a single ascent but quite a tough “all-dayer” if you do it twice.

If your group is up to a double, then I’d recommend starting on the Thirlmere side (near #2 on the viewranger map) then go up Great Tongue but don’t take the bridleway as per the map, take the footpath to the right of the gill instead. It’s less boggy and you’re carrying anyway!
    At Grisedale Tarn, head up Dollywaggon and over the summit ridge to Raise. Descent Sticks and then Seldon Seen. Back up via Kepple Cove. Back over summit ridge opposite way. Descend Birkside as per Viewranger map.

If they’re only up to a single, then from Glenridding side, go up Grisedale valley (reverse of the viewranger route) to Grisedale Tarn. Up Dollywaggon. Over summit ridge and down Sticks/Seldom Seen.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Helvellyn route options this weekend’ is closed to new replies.